PDA

View Full Version : rem 870 help

luger
01-12-2015, 08:50 AM
I'm getting in to duck hunting this new year and I own a 870 tactical.( 18 1/2 inch barrel ) would it be more cheaper to get another barrel for it? (Where ?) Or just get a choke tube for it? Or just find a cheap full choke shotgun used? Thanks for any advice for this newbie duck hunter.

Gone_Fishin_
01-12-2015, 09:03 AM
I did that exact same thing. Rather than buying a whole new gun for duck hunting i ordered a barrel through my local tackle/gun shop. I believe the barrel was 185$ and came to about 230$ after shipping and taxes. I dont even know where they ordered it from but it was a separate company they deal with and not remington. Same barrel that comes on the regular 870. 26" modified choke. Super easy to swap out and saves me some space in the gun safe rather than having 2 shotguns. But... wholesalesports has the remington 870 wood stock on sale for 349$ right now. So if you wanna get out for the last 11 days for ducks i'd go grab a new gun. Or if you are getting ready for next year just go to your local gun shop and have a barrel ordered. Saves ya some $$.

Marsh Hawk
01-12-2015, 09:22 PM
For shooting steel shot a modified choke would be a better choice especially being a newer hunter. Steel patterns better thru a modified choke although there are some tighter choke constrictions in the aftermarket choke tubes. A 28" barrel with a mod would be a good choice (or a barrel that accepts tubes)

Jager
01-12-2015, 10:28 PM
My local WSS has packaged remington barrels hanging in one of there aisles. I've been using the 28" modified that came with my 870.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-12-2015, 10:45 PM
The choice of barrel or new gun are all up to the individual. When it comes to brands such as Remington and Mossberg, barrels are available all over the place online in Canada and are stocked in-store at many gun shops likewise. They are not hard to find nor are they very pricey.

If your gun already accepts screw chokes that may work for you, yet the lowest priced option is to use what you already have! Longer barrel is a preference for most, not a necessity. A plug in your magazine to limit its capacity to two shells (three including those two in the magazine and one in chamber is the maximum capacity for our Waterfowl fun) is necessitated by regulation, though.

No matter how you choose to proceed, be sure to get a variety of suitable shells and pattern your gun. Spend some time breaking clays after you pattern to get a feel for that short barrel. Be sure to be cognizant of your follow through, keep that barrel moving until you're sure your target is down or until it's out of range/gone, whichever comes first.

Good luck and God bless. If there is only one thing I could recommend, it is to pattern that shotgun!