PDA

View Full Version : Spike Bucks

CoqTrophys
03-26-2007, 03:51 PM
What are your thaughts on taking a spike buck. I understand they are good for the freezer but what about giving it a couple years to reproduce? Are you hurting populations by harvesting an immature buck? I personally leave them alone and I for the most part am a meat hunter. What do you guys think?

Browningmirage
03-26-2007, 03:57 PM
"Natural Selection"

hunter1947
03-26-2007, 04:24 PM
I myself will only take a spikier mulie if there open for no antler restrictions ,and if there is an overpopulation of animals in that region ,and in the whitetail category i usually take a 3 or bigger. hunter 1947.

Seeadler
03-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I have no interest in shooting a spike mule deer. For whitetail I would rather take a doe than a spike, but will shoot a spike if that is what it takes to get some meat in the freezer.

blaker_99
03-26-2007, 04:54 PM
i I only take a small spike buck when there is a bow only season or when there are population issues or starvation problems in certain regions. The meat on a spike buck is very tender compared to a monster but the amount you get off a small buck is not all that much. My thoughts are 3 and better for mulies and 4 and better for whitetails. Just my two bits take care

.308win
03-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, i'll shoot a big mulie as well as the next guy, but spike buck sure do taste better than rut buck!....Allthough an early season 4 point might not taste to bad?! Never taken a real early 4 point.

mark
03-26-2007, 06:50 PM
If you are just a meat hunter, why take a buck so small??? Theres barely any meat on them! Take a 2 or a 3 point in early season will produce alot more meat and taste just as good!

WoodOx
03-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Ive taken several bucks during the rut, all of which were older than 4 or 5 years, and have yet to have a 'bad' tasting deer. Unless you eat your deer with his pissed up hair in the meat, and use the scent glands to marinate it, you shouldnt taste anything besides meat and the typical venison flavour. Actually, with proper marinade and cooking, the venison taste too dissapears.

As for youth, I havent ever killed a 10+ year old buck, and as such have never tasted jerky meat some say exist, but a one year old deer does seem to have a more tender texture.

dana
03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
When shooting dinks, it is still a dink as a spike or as a 3 point. No way around that fact. I'd rather kill a spike if I am hunting for meat than one with slightly better antlers. A spike is a yearling without much potential to be a good buck. A yearling 4 point has a potential to be a monster in 3 or 4 years. Let that yearling 4 walk and drop the spiker instead. They are great eatin'. :)

Rhys
03-26-2007, 08:11 PM
I'll shoot a spike. It fills my freezer enough, its just the wife and I eating so its good for the two of us. I find when I down the bigger guys We can finish it, we end up having to make sausage and stuff to give it away.

Rhys

If you are just a meat hunter, why take a buck so small??? Theres barely any meat on them! Take a 2 or a 3 point in early season will produce alot more meat and taste just as good!

mtnmax
03-26-2007, 08:37 PM
I dropped a spike whitey last year. All I have to say is mmmmmmmmmmmm,,,was it good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fisher-Dude
03-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm yum! Nothing tastier than a young mule deer in October.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/2for1.jpg

Allen50
03-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Me, Myself and I, perfere to leave the spikes to get bigger, gives them a chance to meet a nice Doe,,,,,, i look for 2 point or better, even with the bow, more of a challange to hunt, something with a bit of brains to try to out smart the hunter,,, anyway each to there owne,, and i guess it all depends on your draw tag says what you can hunt in that area,,, good luck,,,,

Caveman
03-26-2007, 09:11 PM
As long as the freezer is full, I'll leave the spikes alone. I've yet to shoot one. I shot a two point years ago, for a meat buck, and he didn't taste any better that the biggest four point I've shot. I'll hold out for a decent four point. In fact I'll even make my son hold out, even though this will be his first year. I have no doubt I can put him on a four point or at least a large three.

Sieg-MM
03-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey Beeker, it's gotta be 12 inch spike eh. Will try and get you one of those mysterious critters next year :smile:

tmarschall
03-27-2007, 05:28 AM
With the genetic studies they have done on spiked deer, the only good spike is a dead one. And by spike I mean no branched antler. BC should give any hunter a free deer tag for any spike brought in for verification. That would really increase the quality of the herd.

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-27-2007, 06:20 AM
My wife has no problem shooting a tasty spike whitetail.:|
http://www.lan-lord.net/upload/pics/20070327082131christian%20valley%20whitetail%20nov %202006.jpg

mcrae
03-27-2007, 06:30 AM
It depends for me first five days of the trip no... Last five days of the trip yes... Normally we do a 10 day deer hunt every year and the main goal is meat for the winter so if I don't get a crack at a biggun watch out juniour!

3kills
03-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Ive taken several bucks during the rut, all of which were older than 4 or 5 years, and have yet to have a 'bad' tasting deer. Unless you eat your deer with his pissed up hair in the meat, and use the scent glands to marinate it, you shouldnt taste anything besides meat and the typical venison flavour. Actually, with proper marinade and cooking, the venison taste too dissapears.

As for youth, I havent ever killed a 10+ year old buck, and as such have never tasted jerky meat some say exist, but a one year old deer does seem to have a more tender texture.

i cant agree with u more on the taste of rut bucks or older bucks....its all how u handle it

mtnmax
03-27-2007, 08:00 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMGP1842.JPG

Murder
03-27-2007, 09:45 AM
I pass on them nowadays, but I have taken 'em in the past.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/spike.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/spike.jpg

This guy got me 61 pounds of meat...man was he tasty. I guess when you get a bang/flop on a spike, it's even better.

Elkhound
03-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Depends on how much meat is in the freezer. But I have no problems shooting a spiker. And if you think your spike bucks are small.....shoot a spike blacktail.:lol:

MichelD
03-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Like Elkhound says; it depends on the freezer situation.

Early in the season before desperation sets in, let 'em walk. When it is later in November and still no deer, well heck, yeah.

Tinney
03-27-2007, 10:05 AM
I go the other way. Shoot an eater early in the season. No stink, taste better. Then look for a big guy

rocksteady
03-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Quality over quantity.....

70 lbs of tender spike versus 120 pounds of stinky rutted up buck that the wife won't cook or eat...No brainer for me:lol:

derek p
03-27-2007, 11:27 AM
My first mule deer hunt in 1997 was filled with anticipation, on day two of a scheduled 10 day hunt we had 3 four points in camp. It was almost too easy. The table fare was not what I had hoped it to be. Fast forward 10 years later and I'm still looking for another four point but until I luck out spikes and forks are perfect eating. I consider my best trophy a large spike blacktail I harvested last year..
Headed out alone, walked 10kms into an old powerline, and promply shot a deer. Hours later back at the truck I couldn't of been prouder. Over 65 lbs of steak, roast and burger and some of the best eating meat I've had.

Just my two cents.

Derek

Phil
03-27-2007, 11:30 AM
If you are trying to fill the freezer with edible meat a spike buck is a good choice. There are no guarantees that a spike will ever make it to an age where he can compete for breading anyways. An old hunter once told me that "when your looking to get a meat buck don't be fussy. Shoot the first legal buck that crosses your path".

steel_ram
03-27-2007, 12:06 PM
I consider my best trophy a large spike blacktail I harvested last year..

Is that like "big shrimp".

Leave the spikes for the junior's.

rollingrock
03-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Like Elkhound said, it all depends on what you have in yor freezer. The next one is always bigger!

derek p
03-27-2007, 12:41 PM
That's why I suggested it was my two cents.. everybody hunts for different reasons and a trophy for one person is a dink to someone else.

I consider all animals I harvest a Trophy in one way or another. I guess this is a part of me showing respect to the animals I have been fortunate enough to hunt.

As stated I was alone, late november, in knee deep snow, the work involved was worthy of trophy status..

If a junior was with me, then by all means I would defer the shot to the junior or for that matter a newcomer regardless of age.

Derek

Two dogs
03-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I think only hunters under age 16 should be aloud to take a spike buck. Let them grow up. If no one shot a spike for two or three years there would be a lot more decent bucks around.

Tinney
03-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Brent.....spelling is key....I have no idea what your second sentence is trying to say.

Tinney
03-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Here is my best trophy to date. The animal I have to work the hardest for is the biggest trophy. It has nothing or very little to do with antler score.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/PGKris/Hunting06-Fawn2.jpg

Kevin21
03-27-2007, 03:33 PM
being a beginner to this I will probably take whichever i can for my first

Rainwater
03-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Dana, Not trying to hijack this one but I have never heard of a yearling 4point, nor seen or killed one.

dana
03-27-2007, 04:36 PM
I guess you ain't hunted herds with good genetics then. :) I see yearling basket racked 4's killed all the time. Have killed several of them in the past myself. Yearlings aren't all just spikes and forkeys. Bucks with good genetics will be legal 4 points within their first year of growth. If given the choice now, I'll chose the one with the lesser genetics on a meat hunt and hope that the basket 4 will make it through the next 3 or 4 years when he will be a buck worth having a second look at.
Here's an example of a yearling that has a ton of potential to be an absolute WHOPPER in the future.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Apr17012a.jpg

Here's a yearling buck my dad killed last year while hunting with my son and I. This buck obviously would have been spectacular if he had of grew up. But, he tasted awesome and there are more important things than just antlers, like 3 generations sharing the hunt together.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/06250006.jpg

Mr. Dean
03-27-2007, 04:46 PM
If no one shot a spike for two or three years there would be a lot more decent bucks around.
I have read stuff that would contradict this statement.

Rainwater
03-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Ok so I might as well ask Dana, how do you determine the deers age?

dana
03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Several ways you can tell a yearling. One way is by his size. Compare him to mature deer standing next to them. He'll look a lot smaller. Compare him to obvious yearlings (spikes and small forks) and you'll see he's of equal size. Young deer also have a very young look to them. Another way to tell, can you break their leg bones with your bare hands? Spikes and other yearling bucks have way less bone density and you can easily break their bones without trying to hard. A 2 year old buck is a completely different story.

hunter1947
03-27-2007, 05:01 PM
If you did not shot spike bucks for two years ,no there would not be more deer in a few years ,reason being is that winter kill is a factor ,habitat ,and predators ,60% of all second year deer will not make it into the third year. And as for telling how old a deer is ,i will say that a spike is usually a second year deer in most cases ,a smaller fork is in its third year ,yes you can get a trow back fork ,but the antlers don't compare to the smaller forks ,there way larger in all cases ,a forth year deer can be anywhere from a large fork to a whopper 5x5 and the lower main beam is riddled with little bone lumps. But to tell you the truth the only real way knowing the age is by a tooth exam. hunter 1947

CoqTrophys
03-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Out of curiosity. How old do you figure this one is. i'm 6 foot 2 210 for reference if you need it?

CoqTrophys
03-27-2007, 05:15 PM
scrap that idea my pic didnt upload properly!!

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Here's a yearling 4 point I got two years ago.
http://www.lan-lord.net/upload/pics/20070327211210P1000111.JPG

tmarschall
03-27-2007, 08:28 PM
I think only hunters under age 16 should be aloud to take a spike buck. Let them grow up. If no one shot a spike for two or three years there would be a lot more decent bucks around.

Brent...... Please take a few moments and read up on deer genetic studies before you set your ways onto the above line of thinking.

The summation of the studies on whitetails is that a spike means one of two things... or both. You either have too many deer and they are not getting enough to eat, or you have a deer with poor genetics. In either case, as I have said before, the only good spike is a dead one. If the deer has bad genetics, it is better to cull him out. If there is overpopulation, the spike(aka, younger deer) is more likely to fall to predators or sever winter.

If anything, wildlife branch should declare open season on any non-branched antlered whitetail. That would improve the herd and put lots of good meat on the table.

30-06
03-27-2007, 08:49 PM
i would probably..at the end of a season that is

mrdoog
03-27-2007, 09:33 PM
"I think only hunters under age 16 should be aloud to take a spike buck. Let them grow up. If no one shot a spike for two or three years there would be a lot more decent bucks around."

-Seems like a good idea, until as tmarshall states, not all spike bucks are created equal.
-They are not all yearlings, I've done some reading about spikes and as tmarsahll says, if you're looking for a herd with good genetics, these spikes should be taken
-I shot a spike buck last season in the area between Knouff Lake and Badger Lake, his spike on one side was almost 12 inches, the other side was a little longer and was split at the top.
-His body wasn't huge but definetly not a yearling.
From what I've read, he would never develop a proper rack.
So I'm guessing it's a good thing he was removed from the gene pool.

huntwriter
03-27-2007, 10:02 PM
I earmarked this thread this morning, to add my two cents to the spike shooting yes/no issue, after I come home from work. But that is now superfluous since tmarschall has said so well what I would have said too. A buck over one year old and still a spike will never grow into something bigger.

moosinaround
03-27-2007, 10:25 PM
I usually hunt deer at the start of the sept season 10th till about the 20th up here in the central interior while lookin for moose, then after the moose hunt I concentrate on deer. I will shoot the first legal deer that presents the best oppourtunity for a good shot or quick kill. All deer meat is delicious, and any animal that has given its life to feed my family is a trophy. I did harvest my verey first mulie this year and he was a nice fork 2x2, +/-100# of meat. Still would love to harvest a nice 4 or bigger mulie though!! Thats my two bits. Moosin

Mr. Dean
03-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Here's my #1 buck.

Just a dumpy basket-headed 4 pt. But he was over 275#'s. His feet were dragging on the ground on both sides of the atv, for the ride back to camp.
If my Nosler didn't put him to rest, where would he be now... Still a dink or a monster?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1stbuckaroo_edited-1.JPG

hunter1947
03-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Brent...... Please take a few moments and read up on deer genetic studies before you set your ways onto the above line of thinking.

The summation of the studies on whitetails is that a spike means one of two things... or both. You either have too many deer and they are not getting enough to eat, or you have a deer with poor genetics. In either case, as I have said before, the only good spike is a dead one. If the deer has bad genetics, it is better to cull him out. If there is overpopulation, the spike(aka, younger deer) is more likely to fall to predators or sever winter.

If anything, wildlife branch should declare open season on any non-branched antlered whitetail. That would improve the herd and put lots of good meat on the table. Tom ,you know how to control spiks ,LOL :lol: hunter 1947.

Tinney
03-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Tom ,you know how to control spiks ,LOL :lol: hunter 1947.

I certainly hope you meant to put an 'e' in there :-|

Murder
03-28-2007, 08:44 AM
I certainly hope you meant to put an 'e' in there :-|

LMAO....Brodieman, where are you?

tmarschall
03-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Tom ,you know how to control spiks ,LOL :lol: hunter 1947.

Wayne... well... you know whitetails is almost all we have to hunt down here. So we have put a lot of effort into studying them. Here is one of my favorite reports...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/game_management/deer/spikes_not_inferior/

The pictures pretty much sum it up.

As far as controlling spik"e"s.... lmao

Rainwater
03-28-2007, 11:00 AM
I guess I'm with the old school bio on the 4point yearling deer theory. Unless the tooth is sawed in half and studied I have a hard time wrapping my head around a 4 point yearling deer.. Nothing impossible though. I watch mature whitetail bucks breeding does and actually in my area (field) see deer born and almost know them by name, I have never harvested nor seen a 4point whitie that was born in the Spring and shot that fall, of course our area is not known for it's large whitetail bucks, 130 to 145 is a big one.

Tinney
03-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Yeah I'm willing to bet that there's probably not all that many yearlings that get to four points.

willyqbc
03-28-2007, 11:43 AM
I think people are assigning different meanings to the term "yearling". When I think of a deer I see in the fall that was born that spring i consider it a "fawn". When i think of a yearling I think of a deer born the previous year so it is actually 1.5 years old. I think that with the right feed and genetics a four point at 1.5 years old is quite possible.

Oh and I also agree with the "shoot the spikers" crowd

Chris

Chuck
03-28-2007, 12:09 PM
You know for years the fish caught in the creeks (cuts,brooks) had to be a certain size to be legal (ie- nothing UNDER a certain length). Until the powers that be; realized that juveniles don't breed. Same with deer. I'll take a good rack (trophy) if and when I stumble upon one, but I won't seek it out just for that. 9 out of 10 it won't eat well, but it will breed well. Give me a spike or fork horn to eat - I'll leave the big boys for the girls cuz I know that they prefer them to get the job done.

Mr. Dean
03-28-2007, 12:43 PM
I think people are assigning different meanings to the term "yearling". When I think of a deer I see in the fall that was born that spring i consider it a "fawn". When i think of a yearling I think of a deer born the previous year so it is actually 1.5 years old. I think that with the right feed and genetics a four point at 1.5 years old is quite possible.

Oh and I also agree with the "shoot the spikers" crowd

Chris

That's my spin. A deer becomes a yearling, after it's 1st birthday.

How many years before one reaches adult status/size?

GoatGuy
03-28-2007, 01:41 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with harvesting a spike - shoot whatever you want.

Most hunters in the province hunt exsclusively for meat and shoot the first legal animal that stands around long enough.

There is no conservation concern or worry about genetics or populations; our management strategy and resulting regulations reflect that.

BCrams
03-28-2007, 01:43 PM
The animal I have to work the hardest for is the biggest trophy. It has nothing or very little to do with antler score.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/PGKris/Hunting06-Fawn2.jpg

Do you have any bucks with antlers on them ? I didn't realize deer like the one above were so darned hard to work for!

Tinney
03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
You'd be surprised! :lol:

Tinney
03-28-2007, 03:23 PM
You know for years the fish caught in the creeks (cuts,brooks) had to be a certain size to be legal (ie- nothing UNDER a certain length). Until the powers that be; realized that juveniles don't breed. Same with deer. I'll take a good rack (trophy) if and when I stumble upon one, but I won't seek it out just for that. 9 out of 10 it won't eat well, but it will breed well. Give me a spike or fork horn to eat - I'll leave the big boys for the girls cuz I know that they prefer them to get the job done.

There are no brook trout in creeks in BC. Or at least there shouldn't be :|

BCrams
03-28-2007, 03:51 PM
You'd be surprised! :lol:

You'll have to teach me how to get one of those tough buggers :lol: !!

There are no brook trout in creeks in BC. Or at least there shouldn't be :neutral:

Check out Fortress Lake and its feeder streams someday. Those brookies are in Wood River that flows out of Fortress into Kinbasket Lake.

bighornbob
03-28-2007, 03:55 PM

Once again the all knowing is very wrong. I have caught many a brookie in a creek. Maybe it was a Hybrid.

BHB

butcher
03-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah I think there are a few brookies in BC streams. They're not native, but they're there.

Fisher-Dude
03-28-2007, 04:00 PM

Gee. What kinda fish were those I pulled out of Mill Creek as a kid? :shock:

They were Eastern Brookies. And they weren't even hybrids.

eastkoot
03-28-2007, 04:00 PM
What?? Dear Dana...You don't know what kind of genetics a spike carries..The spike you kill could be that M&S that made you THE deer God.

Tinney
03-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Forgot about fortress....always think of it as being in alberta for some reason....my bad

And Mill creek hopefully doesn';t have brookies....don't know where that is but like I said "shouldn't be"

BHB where have caught supposedly 'many' brook trout in creeks? Hmm?

Rainwater
03-28-2007, 04:44 PM
I've been catching brookies in Keremeos Creek since I was knee high to the bait I used to use. (40 years plus)

dana
03-28-2007, 04:46 PM
As a kid I caught many in Peachland creek too. The all knowing Tinney has stuck his foot in his mouth yet again. ;)

Fisher-Dude
03-28-2007, 05:00 PM
As a kid I caught many in Peachland creek too. The all knowing Tinney has stuck his foot in his mouth yet again. ;)

Now my riddle is this: How does one stick their foot in their mouth when their head is up their ass? :confused:

hunter1947
03-28-2007, 05:09 PM
You got to look at it this way also ,there have to be a number of spikes that will advance to adult age to keep the deer population at a head. hunter 1947.

Tinney
03-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Prove it. I'm calling you liars.

dana
03-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Tinney,
How old are you again??? 6??? When you grow up and become a man, maybe you'll come to find that eating crow ain't that bad.

I believe that several are broadbrush strokin' spike deer. There is a difference between muleys, whities, and blackies. A spike muley will not always be a spike. He just doesn't have as good genetics as a yearling 4 is all. There are some bucks that just never amount to much. Some bucks can live their entire lives and barely break the 150 class. These bucks are typically the ones that started out as spikers or little forkeys. There are other bucks that grow up to be 200+ inch giants, they were 150 class bucks in their second year of antler growth. They were basket racked 4's as yearlings. That is the difference. And that is with muleys only. Whitetails are a completely different species.

eastkoot
03-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I also caught BROOK TROUT in creeks in the okanagan. Yes, the little guys with the pretty blue and orange dots on them.

Tinney
03-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Without proof, you're a pack of liars :D

hunter1947
03-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Lets put it this way ,say no more mule deer were born at all and the ones that are alive now would vanish say in 10 years ,tell were the reincrupment will come from ,the ground ????.:?: hunter 1947.

hunter1947
03-28-2007, 07:42 PM
You guys are getting off the real subject ??:lol: ??. hunter 1947.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-28-2007, 07:48 PM
I too caught brookies in the creeks in the Okanagan.
I've been told that the brookies in Fortress Lk were inadvertantly stocked by someone working for Alberta Govt and thought the lake was in Alta (as Tinnney thought).

SSS

Tinney
03-28-2007, 07:53 PM
I too caught brookies in the creeks in the Okanagan.
I've been told that the brookies in Fortress Lk were inadvertantly stocked by someone working for Alberta Govt and thought the lake was in Alta (as Tinnney thought).

SSS

Fortress Lake is my Mecca. Someday I want to make the hike from the Alta side 8)

bighornbob
03-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Without proof, you're a pack of liars :D

From the ministry site.

7 record(s) matched your query.
Report created on : Wed Mar 28 19:39:27 PDT 2007
Your report was based on the following criteria:
Gazetted Name/Alias : mill
Region : 8
Species : EB
Ordered By : Gazetted Name
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gazetted Name Region Code Species Name Stock Type Stock Char
MILL CREEK 8 EB Brook Trout NOT SPECIF Fluvial

Management Class Map 1 Point 1 Type 1 Refs And Dates
Wild naturalized 082E14 8033 U (8012, 01-JAN-1995)<br>

Watershed Code Waterbody Identifier
310-808200 00000OKAN

I could not paste a table so I had to convert the file and split the data line into three.

Tinney, being a resource management type student you must have seen this ministry site before.

BHB

Tinney
03-28-2007, 08:00 PM
You done did er! Now I believe you :D Illegally planted I'll bet.....how close is Mill creek to the border? ;)

BCrams
03-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Fortress Lake is my Mecca. Someday I want to make the hike from the Alta side 8)

Go for it Tinney - its a hell of a hike in. I'd like to see you go do it for a few days. :mrgreen:

PS- if it was your mecca - you'd have known it was in BC :lol:

As BHB points out - you really need to observe and learn and be careful before you open your mouth.

bighornbob
03-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Actually Mill Creek is in Kelowna so aways from the border. They are not illegally stocked because the Ministry does the stocking. The ministry stocks tons of lakes with brookies and if there is a creek that drains that lake, there will be brookies in the creek also. On that site every lake that had brookies also had them in the creek. The creek that I caught the brookies in also had rainbows in it.

BHB

Tinney
03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
There is not supposed (note supposed) to be any brook trout stocked in any lakes except closed system lakes with no inflow/outflow creeks. Now that's not to say there aren't escapees. Where I come from the ministry is freakin out about brookies getting loose and out-competing bull trout.

Tinney
03-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Go for it Tinney - its a hell of a hike in. I'd like to see you go do it for a few days. :mrgreen:

PS- if it was your mecca - you'd have known it was in BC :lol:

As BHB points out - you really need to observe and learn and be careful before you open your mouth.

I forget. I always think of it as Alberta for some reason. Have you done the hike? PM me about it if you have. I was hoping to try this fall if my draws fall through

TravisC
03-28-2007, 08:35 PM
i have no problem with taking a spike have prob taken at least one spiker every year for the last 10 and if i have 2 tags and there are 2 spikers standing there well ....freezers 1/2 full now. and then its hold out for the big buck untill the last chance and if its only another small one well... the freezers 3/4's full and i eat great tender meat for the year.

Tinney
03-28-2007, 08:40 PM
i have no problem with taking a spike have prob taken at least one spiker every year for the last 10 and if i have 2 tags and there are 2 spikers standing there well ....freezers 1/2 full now. and then its hold out for the big buck untill the last chance and if its only another small one well... the freezers 3/4's full and i eat great tender meat for the year.

I think that pretty well sums up 90% of the deer hunters in BC.

TravisC
03-28-2007, 08:49 PM
i'd agree cause us 90% have to work and cant hunt for 3 months straight looking for that trophy. ohhh i wish i could though. :sad:

Fisher-Dude
03-28-2007, 09:11 PM
My dad caught brookies in Mill Creek in the 1930s. And brookies are present in many lakes that are not isolated. Dobbin Lake has brookies (triploids that were STOCKED), and it's part of a major irrigation district. Big White Beaver Ponds has brookies that were stocked, and drains into Clarke Creek. Turtle Lake has brookies that were stocked and is part of a major irrigation district. Need I provide more proof?

Name:TURTLE LAKE Region:Okanagan Watershed Code:310-794400-22400-67600 (http://srmapps.gov.bc.ca/apps/awiz/watershedReport.do?backAllowed=true&waterShedCode=310-794400-22400-67600)Waterbody Identifier:01109OKAN Elevation:1290 m Mapsheet Number:082E11 UTM Zone:11 UTM Easting:340533 UTM Northing:5513217 Map:Zoom to this waterbody (http://maps.gov.bc.ca/imf406/imfApiCreateHighlightLayer.jsp?&zoom=true&pan=true&tables=&layer=WDIC_WATERBODY_POLY&where=WHSE_FISH.WDIC_WATERBODY_POLY.WBODY_ID=17595 4)

Species Present: (http://<b>Species Present:</b>) Brook Trout
[/URL]
[URL="http://<b>http://srmapps.gov.bc.ca/apps/awiz/images/folderOpen.gif</b>"]http://srmapps.gov.bc.ca/apps/awiz/images/folderOpen.gif (http://<b>Stocking Information: </b>)Stocking Information: (http://<b>Stocking Information:</b>) Note: Stocking Information is provided for the last five years only. DateSpeciesNumber ReleasedStockLife StageHatchery2006-06-12Brook Trout1000AYLMER AF3NFINGERLINGSummerland Hatchery2005-05-25Brook Trout1000AYLMER AF3NFINGERLINGSummerland Hatchery2004-05-26Brook Trout1000AYLMER AF3NFINGERLINGSummerland Hatchery2003-05-09Brook Trout1000AYLMER AF3NFINGERLINGSummerland Hatchery2002-06-09Brook Trout1000AYLMER AF3NFINGERLINGSummerland Hatchery

dana
03-28-2007, 09:16 PM
And Tinney says his hybrid theory is the only time he has spouted misinformation???? How many here think Tinney should give us yet another farewell speech and log off and sign up with a new log in name????

Tinney
03-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Lemme guess.....Matt left the lube in PG annd won't let you have any fun tonight? :lol:

Stickk to monster mulies my boy. I'm only giving you the rhetoric. There are exceptions to everything. I do find it strange, mind you I'm not checking up on this stuff, just taking it at face value. I'm wondering how many brooks they sampled in creeks.....escapees? Brooks in lakes mean nothing. The province doesn't stock brooks in rivers :lol:

Mulie_Hunter
03-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Brook trout, Lube, Hybrids

HIJACKED!

So to attempt and get this thread back on target, As far as Mule deer go 3 points or better:lol:. Whitetails If its legal, I shoot.

my 06 Peckerbuck
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/12141987/CANIUL7F.jpg

hunter1947
03-29-2007, 05:14 AM
If you have no meat in camp and it is getting to the point that you might be going home with no meat ,then i myself woud take whatever was legal ,you see living hear on the island and having a whitetail tag left unfiled would be stuped not to take a spike if the opertunity came up in the last few days. like i said in an earler post ,that i like only take a 3 point whitetail or better ,but what makes more sence ,go home with some meat or nothing ??? http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif. hunter 1947.

Seth
03-29-2007, 07:00 AM
If you have no meat in camp and it is getting to the point that you might be going home with no meat ,then i myself woud take whatever was legal ,you see living hear on the island and having a whitetail tag left unfiled would be stuped not to take a spike if the opertunity came up in the last few days. like i said in an earler post ,that i like only take a 3 point whitetail or better ,but what makes more sence ,go home with some meat or nothing ??? http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif. hunter 1947.

My thoughts exactly. . .

butcher
03-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Just for the sake of saying it.... the ministry does NOT stock lakes in the province of BC. FFSBC does.

Maxx
03-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Just for the sake of saying it.... the ministry does NOT stock lakes in the province of BC. FFSBC does.

touchy ,touchy today sweatheart:lol:

Tinney
03-29-2007, 09:46 AM

For clairification, FFSBC stocks lakes, that's ALL they do. They have some very good bios and have some excellent programs, but the final call on stocking comes from the Ministry.

Back to your scheduled programming....... MULE DEER

CHilko21
03-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Well this past fall I took one, but I was getting to the point where I was gonna shoot the first thing showing bone on it's head. I'm more of a meat hunter than anything else, though if I get a shot at a big buck, I'll definately take it. Normally I'd pass on a spike but this year I didn't get much time out to hunt.

butcher
03-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Yeah thanks for the clarification. Only been working there for ten years. Didn't know ALL WE DO is stock lakes. I'll have to pay more attention in meetings.

Anyhoo...... no I don't shoot spikes. It's for the old and incompetent.

300 wsm
03-29-2007, 01:36 PM
if people enjoy shooting spikes i say shoot em hell ive taken a couple spikers and forks down my selfnutin wrong with shooting legal game

Tinney
03-29-2007, 01:38 PM
"old and incometent"

Here we go....

mrdoog
03-29-2007, 02:12 PM
"Anyhoo...... no I don't shoot spikes. It's for the old and incompetent."

Seeing as I'm old, and according to some incompotent; I welcome your blessing to continue shooting any legal deer as I see fit.

butcher
03-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Before this gets out of hand, I was just having some fun. Guys who know me will understand that I like to shoot my mouth off to get a reaction. I'm not an internet tough guy, I'll beak off right to your face as well. Have had my ass kicked for doing it too.

If you want to shoot spikes, have at it. God help the spike that gets in my way on a region 5 meat hunt. They're much easier to pack out.

Of course I'm old AND incompetent myself.

Rainwater
03-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Better incompetent then incoherent.

Fisher-Dude
03-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Or incontinent.

Alpine85
03-29-2007, 03:59 PM
And Tinney says his hybrid theory is the only time he has spouted misinformation???? How many here think Tinney should give us yet another farewell speech and log off and sign up with a new log in name????

LMAO!!! I think Matt should just post more pictures of Tinneys truck.:lol:
Who thinks we should get bets going on what his next user name will be?

3kills
03-29-2007, 07:52 PM
spike bucks are tasty....my first buck...was 68 pounds on the hook had one lil spike on one side....he still had milk on his lips :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/3killslookin4more/mypics/deer.jpg