PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see this re Cowichan Estuary?

Tanya
01-11-2015, 06:50 AM
A friend and fellow hunter sent me this last night.

No shooting area Cowichan Estuary (http://www.cowichanestuary.com/posting-no-shooting-area-in-the-cowichan-estuary/)

BCHoyt
01-11-2015, 09:32 AM
Well that just sucks!

mad_mallard
01-11-2015, 10:25 AM
I am absolutely speechless.

01-11-2015, 10:43 AM
If the area has been closed ..... just not posted then why are guys hunting it in the first place ........ other then the signs ...... is this new. If not, hunters have lost nothing other than their poaching opportunities.

Not familiar with the area, just wondering if its been closed why be surprised.

Batou
01-11-2015, 12:24 PM
You have to look at the North Cowichan boundary carefully. It only covers part of Cowichan bay.

km

FirePower
01-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Is this a new closure or just signage for an existing one.

Batou
01-11-2015, 03:56 PM
I think this is just a matter of signs being posted to inform people that there are sections of the bay that fall under North Cowichan that are affected by the firearms discharge bylaw. The norther section has a chunk along the estuary trail that is in North Cowichan.

KM

Tuffcity
01-11-2015, 04:21 PM
I hope if CERCA ever approach DU for wetland restoration funding that they are told to pound sand. These clowns don't understand or care that hunters can be one of their biggest allies.

RC

Lucky77_
01-11-2015, 04:34 PM
I left my comment. Have try try a different link because this one doesn't let you see other comments

Blacktailz
01-11-2015, 08:28 PM
what a joke

HuntNHookSports
01-21-2015, 10:58 PM
If the area has been closed ..... just not posted then why are guys hunting it in the first place ........ other then the signs ...... is this new. If not, hunters have lost nothing other than their poaching opportunities.

Not familiar with the area, just wondering if its been closed why be surprised.

Thanks for the support.
Huge issue in NCow right now.

01-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the support.
Huge issue in NCow right now.

Your welcome .........
as stated if the area has been closed, why are guys poaching on it ....... how can you be upset if its been closed all along. Your just giving more to the anti's. Is downtown Cowichan posted .... no because its closed. The government does not have to post all areas that are closed. Question again, if its always been closed, how can you be upset ?

HuntNHookSports
01-22-2015, 12:37 PM
This is not just about cow bay. According to this bylaw all of NCow is closed to hunting. Half the waterfowlers on this site are now "poachers." Who needs antis when our own group is helping the cause.

f350ps
01-22-2015, 04:13 PM
This is not just about cow bay. According to this bylaw all of NCow is closed to hunting. Half the waterfowlers on this site are now "poachers." Who needs antis when our own group is helping the cause.
I get where CT is coming from, if the area in question has been closed for a while but the signs have been torn down then whoever is hunting there is doing so illegally. The article that Tanya posted also refers to the Blacky farm which is privately owned and is now posted, in which case if somebody is hunting it he's breaking the law. You can determine yourself if they are poachers or not, it's your choice! K

The Hermit
01-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Thanks for posting that Tanya. I left a comment about not supporting the local restaurants, gas stations, and sporting goods stores in Cowichan/Duncan anymore... Oh and sorry but I won't be coming up to help with the clean up party on Saturday now.

Mulehahn
01-22-2015, 05:20 PM
I am with CT. In the article it says "the northern section of the Cowichan Estuary under jurisdiction of the Municipality is closed to the discharge of firearms by authority of Bylaw 3077." They are just putting up signs to let people know. If this is a new bylaw then hunters should fight to have it repealed, but if it has been in place for a while and people have been hunting the area against the law they are poachers. I am not familiar with the area, and am more and more upset by the loss of opportunity but we have to respect the laws until we can get them changed.

HuntNHookSports
01-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Bylaw 3077 covers all of north cowichan. U mainlanders have labeled anyone who has hunted from Chemainus to Cow Bay in the last 10 years a poacher.