PDA

View Full Version : non resident question

Grolar
01-11-2015, 01:18 AM
do I need an outfitter or a guide to hunt deer and elk in Washington and Idaho.....cant find it on both websites

bighornbob
01-11-2015, 11:10 AM
Not sure but you might want to ask on a US site. Also you probably need a draw to hunt down there.

Bhb

David Heitsman
01-12-2015, 06:27 PM
No for Washington... I do it all the time. Not sure about Idaho but it's not required in Montana, Utah, Nevada and Arizona. I've hunted all of them. The US isn't quite as uptight as
BC over their game populations. I do pay quite a bit more for the tag, as I should but the state regards that as plenty enough and so, off I go! Now if you want to increase your odds of getting something above average... hire a guide.

Blockcaver
01-12-2015, 07:12 PM
No guide law in Colorado or Wyoming either with the exception of Wyoming wilderness areas that do require a guide to hunt big game.

glennw89
01-12-2015, 07:15 PM
I find it richly ironic that as a Canadian resident (Ontario) it is much easier/cheaper for me to hunt big game in the American West (Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, etc.) than BC or Alberta.

bridger
01-12-2015, 07:18 PM
I find it richly ironic that as a Canadian resident (Ontario) it is much easier/cheaper for me to hunt big game in the American West (Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, etc.) than BC or Alberta.

good point

358mag
01-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Way better hunting down south of the 49th parallel too , not much game left in BC don't waste your time .:roll:

REMINGTON JIM
01-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Way better hunting down south of the 49th parallel too , not much game left in BC don't waste your time .:roll:

Won't be ANY left if FN's and GOABC get there way ! :evil: RJ

Grolar
01-12-2015, 10:38 PM
kk two more things is can you take your meat hide and antlers across the boarders.....and what do you have to do to bring a firearm across

358mag
01-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Won't be ANY left if FN's and GOABC get there way ! :evil: RJ

FN will always get there way we have no control over them , they can only control themselves and that is one scary thought .:shock:

srupp
01-13-2015, 04:34 AM
Hmmm IMO even comparing BC and Alberta....it is much easier to go to Alberta hunting, less expensive, easier paperwork...done in 10 minutes..than having friends come here hunting...and the costs seem higher in BC...= bring cash..
Cheers
Steven

BULLNUTTS
01-13-2015, 05:23 AM
Something smells funny here..............

sheephunterab
01-13-2015, 09:54 AM
kk two more things is can you take your meat hide and antlers across the boarders.....and what do you have to do to bring a firearm across

You'll need a completed 6N1A Form from the ATF to take your rifle or shotgun. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/610/~/bringing-a-firearm-or-ammunition-to-the-u.s.-for-hunting%2Fsport-purposes

Yes you can cross with meat and antlers but be certain to have all your licences, any state-required export permits and be certain to stop at the U.S. side on your way home to get a federal export permit. Obviously any CITES listed animals require additional permits.

sheephunterab
01-13-2015, 09:57 AM
Hmmm IMO even comparing BC and Alberta....it is much easier to go to Alberta hunting, less expensive, easier paperwork...done in 10 minutes..than having friends come here hunting...and the costs seem higher in BC...= bring cash..
Cheers
Steven

Alberta is pretty hunter host friendly. No applications for non-LEH species...just buy over the counter. A couple non-resident sheep tags available. And, non-residents can apply in LEH draws.

cantrap
01-13-2015, 10:08 AM
I've hunted elk in idaho with OTC tags... Nevada for muley as well.

Argali
01-14-2015, 07:16 AM
Non-resident hunting in the USA for deer and elk is relatively cheap and straight forward for non-residents. No guides are required in most areas, and the game density is usually higher than B.C. However, you generally cannot hunt moose, sheep, goat unless you get lucky with a draw or pay very large sums.

To be more consistent with regulations in other jurisdictions, B.C. could loosen the restrictions on non-resident hunting for elk, deer, and bear and tighten non-resident restrictions/quotas on sheep, goat, moose, caribou, and grizzlies.