PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot as side arm?

CVMike
01-10-2015, 02:57 PM
When hunting deer and other large game and you see a nice big ruffled im sure we all are weighed with a decision. Shoot it with the rifle, and potentially scare away a buck of a lifetime thats waiting around the next corner, or if you're a bowhunter risk losing an arrow and having the meat cost a few bucks per bite. I speak for myself and others I know, by saying a lot of us let the birds walk. My brain started working on a solution when I saw a nice double banded slingshot in a magazine that apparently fires a decent fps and I think it could easily be used to take birds with a little practice. Keep it in a pocket with a handful of ballberrings.

Does anybody do this? Seems to me like a nice way to add a bit of nice meat to the beans and beer when you sit around a fire after the hunt.

Cheers,
Mike.

keoke
01-10-2015, 03:24 PM
That grouse already costs 100/oz. Launching a arrow at it is negligible. I never put costs towards any meat i bring home. As for shooting, if im hiking i focus on a targeted species, road hunting ill take what i see.

Steelpulse
01-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Sling shot is most amazing silent weapon there is, use .50cal muzzle loader balls for ammo, very accurate very deadly, through a rabbit broadside easy, split their heart in half, never leave home without a sling, deadly to 10 yards, after a little practice my brother and I can hit a pop can at 7 yards 9/10 times

Big Lew
01-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Can't speak for the modern store bought ones, but when I was a teenager, my Dad
and Brothers all had very powerful homemade ones out of live rubber tire tubes.
They were very deadly for even small animals. My Dad was extremely accurate
out to 20-30 yards, but he practiced a lot at his job and at home. We used large
steel ball bearings and shot toward a backstop so that we could save them when
practicing. We all took many grouse with them as well as rats.

Batou
01-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Take a look at one of these slingshots: http://pocketpredator.com/two.html - I don't have one but there's a lot on the web about them.

I have had the standard arm brace style slingshots before but have never felt confident enough to fire one at game. People seem to have great accuracy with the ones linked above.

Km

charr
01-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Sling shot, I do not think they can be used for hunting.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Slingshots are legal for Hunting in British Columbia. Within the effective range of the equipment and Hunter, they can ethically take a variety of Bird and Small Game species. Slingshots are not prohibited anywhere within the Wildlife Act, nor Hunting Regulation component of said Act.

Slingshots are one of many options that can provide a practical solution in situations such as those mentioned by CVMike in the Original Post of this thread.

landphil
01-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Slingshots are legal for Hunting in British Columbia. Within the effective range of the equipment and Hunter, they can ethically take a variety of Bird and Small Game species. Slingshots are not prohibited anywhere within the Wildlife Act, nor Hunting Regulation component of said Act.

Slingshots are one of many options that can provide a practical solution in situations such as those mentioned by CVMike in the Original Post of this thread.

EDIT: I'm Wrong! Keep reading!
I disagree. Page 16 of the regulations clearly spells out the legal hunting methods for BC game. Do you see slingshots listed in the table as a legal way to hunt upland game birds?

Another case where legal and practical are at odds though.

charr
01-10-2015, 11:22 PM
I disagree. Page 16 of the regulations clearly spells out the legal hunting methods for BC game. Do you see slingshots listed in the table as a legal way to hunt upland game birds?

Thanks I did not have the regs with me.
I agree sling shot are fun to use and I would use one in an emergency.
I do not think sling shot will ever become legal for hunting due to that there is more of a chance of causing pain and suffering to an animal than proper killing an animal.

01-11-2015, 09:30 PM

In order for something to be an offense, it must be specifically defined as one within the Law, via legislation. The Synopsis is NOT the Law, it is a guideline to help resource users understand the regulations and laws from the perspective of the Ministry and BC COS. Where in the two differ, the legislation prevails. It is legislation that counts, not the synopsis.

I have read the Wildlife Act, I suggest yourself and all other BC Hunters do likewise. Sling Shots are not prohibited in the legislation, nor are many other methods that are likewise legal.

As for efficacy? Some sling shots are truly fierce. In practiced hands and within their effective range, the sling shot is not a crippler but is a stone cold killer of small species. Make a quality shot with one and it's time to get ready for dinner!

landphil
01-11-2015, 10:00 PM
In order for something to be an offense, it must be specifically defined as one within the Law, via legislation. The Synopsis is NOT the Law, it is a guideline to help resource users understand the regulations and laws from the perspective of the Ministry and BC COS. Where in the two differ, the legislation prevails. It is legislation that counts, not the synopsis.

I have read the Wildlife Act, I suggest yourself and all other BC Hunters do likewise. Sling Shots are not prohibited in the legislation, nor are many other methods that are likewise legal.

As for efficacy? Some sling shots are truly fierce. In practiced hands and within their effective range, the sling shot is not a crippler but is a stone cold killer of small species. Make a quality shot with one and it's time to get ready for dinner!

EDIT: I'm wrong, keep reading! I'm no lawyer, and not pretending to be, but this seems pretty well spelled out to me. The legal hunting methods are prescribed in the regulations (and a layman's version given to us in the synopsis) as allowed under the Wildlife Act.

Section 108 of the Wildlife Act.

Regulations by Lieutenant Governor in Council

108 1) The Lieutenant Governor
in Council may make regulations referred to in section 41 of the Interpretation Act.

(2) Without limiting subsection (1), the
Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations as follows:

(snip)

(s) prohibiting or regulating methods and
devices for hunting, trapping, capturing or taking wildlife and respecting
safety in those activities;

Gateholio
01-11-2015, 10:16 PM
I'm no lawyer, and not pretending to be, but this seems pretty well spelled out to me. The legal hunting methods are prescribed in the regulations (and a layman's version given to us in the synopsis) as allowed under the Wildlife Act.

in Council may make regulations referred to in section 41 of the Interpretation Act.

(snip)

And nowhere are slingshots regulated (must use slingshot of 30# draw for example) or prohibited.

Page 16 shows common hunting weapons and what types are legal or illegal for hunting. It is not a comprehensive list of all legal hunting weapons. Been down this road many, many times on HBC....

Steelpulse
01-11-2015, 10:21 PM
We never leave home with out them, and swear by 50cal muzzle load balls, pack serious punch

01-11-2015, 10:25 PM
I'm no lawyer, and not pretending to be, but this seems pretty well spelled out to me. The legal hunting methods are prescribed in the regulations (and a layman's version given to us in the synopsis) as allowed under the Wildlife Act.

(snip)

Not a Lawyer? You're not kidding Sir! Unfortunately, you also do not seem to currently understand our Legal principles/the Rule of Law, which are a fundamental defining element of Canadian Society as a whole. Unfortunately, you are not alone and this is a big part of why we are in such a sorry state of affairs these days, in British Columbia in particular. I urge you to learn a bit more about this for your own sake, Sir.

Please note that I am not judging you, it is just very irksome when I hear people insist that reverse onus is the norm in matters such as that which we discuss here. Read on please all, to (hopefully) understand more clearly what I am saying here.

Many appear to confuse the BC Hunting Regulation with the Synopsis, which is easy for many folks to do. If and when section 108 0f the Act is invoked by the Lieutenant Governor in Council, the new regulation created appears in B.C. Reg 190/84. That document, combined with elements of the B.C. Wildlife Act and opinions of the BC COS and FLNRO (most probably still know them as BC MOE) and a generous number of mistakes and typos, et al are all summarized and publicized in the B.C. Hunting and Trapping Synopsis. This document is known colloquially among us as simply "the regs", as in "read the regs!"; however, the Synopsis is not to be confused with B.C. 190/84, the Wildlife Act or any other document. If you go to Provincial Court, the Synopsis is mostly moot if not entirely irrelevant when it comes to Crown Council proving a case against the Accused. The Act that creates an offense must be used to prosecute and things must be specifically banned to be illegal. Things are not illegal simply for not being mentioned in a publication that is not law.

I repeat: The BC Hunting Regulations are not the Synopsis, the synopsis is a convenient summary of the Wildlife Act and Hunting Regulation et al and IS NOT THE LAW. It clearly states in the fine print of "the regs" that they in fact are not a legal document and wherein that synopsis and the legislation conflict, the legislation shall prevail.

john.b
01-11-2015, 10:47 PM
He is correct. A synopsis is just that.

[si-nop-sis]

noun,plural synopses

1. a brief or condensed statement giving ageneral view of some subject.

landphil
01-11-2015, 10:49 PM
And nowhere are slingshots regulated (must use slingshot of 30# draw for example) or prohibited.

Page 16 shows common hunting weapons and what types are legal or illegal for hunting. It is not a comprehensive list of all legal hunting weapons. Been down this road many, many times on HBC....

Not a Lawyer? You're not kidding Sir! Unfortunately, you also do not seem to currently understand our Legal principles/the Rule of Law, which are a fundamental defining element of Canadian Society as a whole. Unfortunately, you are not alone and this is a big part of why we are in such a sorry state of affairs these days, in British Columbia in particular. I urge you to learn a bit more about this for your own sake, Sir.

Please note that I am not judging you, it is just very irksome when I hear people insist that reverse onus is the norm in matters such as that which we discuss here. Read on please all, to (hopefully) understand more clearly what I am saying here.

Many appear to confuse the BC Hunting Regulation with the Synopsis, which is easy for many folks to do. If and when section 108 0f the Act is invoked by the Lieutenant Governor in Council, the new regulation created appears in B.C. Reg 190/84. That document, combined with elements of the B.C. Wildlife Act and opinions of the BC COS and FLNRO (most probably still know them as BC MOE) and a generous number of mistakes and typos, et al are all summarized and publicized in the B.C. Hunting and Trapping Synopsis. This document is known colloquially among us as simply "the regs", as in "read the regs!"; however, the Synopsis is not to be confused with B.C. 190/84, the Wildlife Act or any other document. If you go to Provincial Court, the Synopsis is mostly moot if not entirely irrelevant when it comes to Crown Council proving a case against the Accused. The Act that creates an offense must be used to prosecute and things must be specifically banned to be illegal. Things are not illegal simply for not being mentioned in a publication that is not law.

I repeat: The BC Hunting Regulations are not the Synopsis, the synopsis is a convenient summary of the Wildlife Act and Hunting Regulation et al and IS NOT THE LAW. It clearly states in the fine print of "the regs" that they in fact are not a legal document and wherein that synopsis and the legislation conflict, the legislation shall prevail.

I am very well aware that the Synopsis is not the Regulations, I even made note of that in my last post, with "(and a layman's version given to us in the synopsis)". I did do some reading in the Regulations (190/84 as you noted) and have to concede that both of you are correct on this issue. Slingshots are not prohibited or regulated. It appears that they are legal for all game except bison and migratory game birds. Slingshot grizzly hunt anyone? :-P Thanks for the lesson.:cool:

In case anyone wants to verify for themselves:
Division 7 — Hunting
Methods

Offence — weapons
17 (1) A person commits an offence where he
hunts

(a) with a rifle using

(i) a full metal jacketed non-expanding
bullet, or

(ii) a tracer, incendiary, or explosive
bullet,

(b) big game, other than lynx, bobcat or
wolverine, with a rifle using a rimfire cartridge,

(c) with a shotgun using a tracer or
incendiary shot shell,

(d) mountain sheep, mountain goat, elk, moose,
caribou, bison or grizzly bear with a shotgun,

(e) deer, black bear, cougar, coyote, lynx,
bobcat, wolverine or wolf with a shotgun

(i) less than 20 gauge, or

(ii) using a shot shell loaded with shot
smaller than the shot size 1 Buck,

(f) game birds, other than turkey, grouse and
ptarmigan, with a rifle,

(g) small game, game birds, lynx, bobcat,
wolverine, mule (black-tailed) deer, white-tailed deer or fallow deer with a
crossbow (except a compound crossbow) having a pull of less than 55 kg,

(h) big game, other than deer, lynx, bobcat or
wolverine with a crossbow (except a compound crossbow)

(i) having a pull of less than 68 kg,
or

(ii) having a bolt with a broadhead less
than 2.22 cm at the widest point,

(i) with a compound crossbow having a pull of
less than 45 kg at full draw,

(j) with a crossbow having a bolt weighing
less than 16.2 g,

(k) with a bow having a pull of less than 18
kg within the archer's draw length,

(l) big game with a bow using an arrow with a
broadhead less than 2.2 cm at the widest point,

(m) bear

(i) by placing bait, or

(ii) by using a dead animal or part of it
as bait,

(n) migratory game birds by using a power
boat, unless the boat is beached, resting at anchor or fastened within or tied
immediately alongside of a fixed hunting blind,

(o) migratory game birds using

(i) a rifle or shotgun loaded with a
single projectile,

(ii) any weapon other than a bow and
arrow or a shotgun not larger than number 10 gauge, or

(iii) more than one shotgun unless each
shotgun in excess of one is disassembled or unloaded and encased,

(p) waterfowl, coot or snipe while using shot
other than non-toxic shot,

(q) turkey with a rifle using a centrefire
cartridge,

(r) bison with a weapon other than

(i) a centrefire rifle and ammunition
other than ammunition constructed with a 175 grain or larger bullet which
retains 2 712 joules (2 000 foot pounds) or more energy at 100 metres, or

(ii) a bow having a pull greater than
22.6 kg within the archer's draw length, an arrow greater than 26 grams in
weight and a broadhead greater than 8.1 grams in weight and 2.2 cm in width at
its widest point, or

(s) with a firearm that is designed, altered
or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand or that has a barrel
less than 305 mm in length.

(2) A person who possesses shot, other than
non-toxic shot, for the purpose of hunting waterfowl, coot or snipe, commits an
offence.

(3) A person who hunts big game with a shotgun
loaded with single-projectile ammunition is exempt from section 26 (1) (h) of
the Act.

01-11-2015, 11:04 PM
Very well Sir. Please do note that my prior post was not solely directed to yourself, landphil. I have come across many here and elsewhere whom have appeared to do as I stated above.

Of course, just what is what concerning certain elements of 190/84 that you've posted have also been debated in at least one amusing thread prior, right here on HBC! The slingshot issue has proven to be somewhat less controversial... :)

landphil
01-11-2015, 11:17 PM
^^ You bet, I guess I've missed or forgotten those other threads. I'm still looking for a slingshot grizzly hunting partner though. :-)

01-11-2015, 11:31 PM
^^We'll need to snag that coveted LEH first... Then, a slingshot that fires, IDK, boulders?!

:D

CVMike
01-12-2015, 01:05 PM
A large enough piece of rubber tied between two trees. A couple guys to pull it back, and fire ten ounce ball weights out of it. That oughta do it, providing the bear is kind enough to walk into our shooting lane.

Moosecall
02-01-2019, 01:35 PM
I realize that this is an old thread, but I appreciate the info here as I've been curious about legal hunting methods such as slingshots, slingbows and airguns that are not detailed as legal hunting methods in the regulations or wildlife act (actually, any airguns regardless of power are considered firearms by the wildlife act). I've copied below I response I got from Fish and Wildlife regarding the use of airguns < 500 fps for hunting upland game birds. What I gather from this response is that there is nothing illegal about the hunting means if not stated explicitly in the Wildlife Act. However, under the Act it is an offence to injure wildlife and not make a "reasonable effort" to retrieve the wildlife and kill it. Therefore, if one is using a hunting means that is inadequate for the purpose of killing the game in question, it could be considered an offence. The officer refers to it being conceivably legal to hunt big game using a small airgun, except that it would be impossible to humanely kill such an animal with that weapon so likely considered an offence. Therefore, if you wanted to go out and hunt grizzly with a slingshot and were charged, you would have to prove in court that your slingshot was capable of killing a grizzly.

Based on this, my conclusion is that hunting methods not explicitly called out in the Wildlife Act are ultimately acceptable based on their suitability for the game. If you actually were charged with an offence for trying to hunt rabbit or grouse with a slingshot (discretion of the officer), then you would likely have a pretty decent case in court that you could effectively retrieve and kill the animal with that weapon.

Anyone disagree?

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiring about air pistols and hunting. It has been forwarded to me for a response.

The Wildlife Act defines firearm and hunt as such:

"firearm" includes a rifle, shotgun, handgun or spring gun and any device that propels a projectile by means of an explosion, compressed gas or spring but does not include a bow;
A Pellet or BB gun (Air pistol) meets the definition of "firearm"; propel a projectile by means of compressed gas.

"hunt" includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife, or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured,

(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or

(b) while in possession of a firearm or other weapon;"

The possession of a pellet/bb gun (firearm) while meeting the definition above is considered hunting and can only be done in compliance with hunting regulations in the province.

There are currently no prohibitions on the use of pellet/bb guns to hunt upland game birds/small game in British Columbia. There are no restrictions on velocity/ammunition requirements. However, note that it is an offence to hunt with a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand or that has a barrel less than 305 mm in length.

While it is not prohibited to hunt with a pellet/bb gun, please be advised that it is an offence under the Wildlife Act to injure wildlife and fail to make every reasonable effort to retrieve the wildlife and kill it. Considering the limited killing ability and range of pellet/bb guns, it is possible that the possession of only a pellet/bb gun to kill wounded wildlife would be inadequate to meet the standards of "every reasonable effort" to retrieve and kill a wounded animal. It is possible that it would be an offence to wound wildlife with a pellet/bb gun and not be able to kill the wounded animal and retrieve the meat. Also note that it is an offence to hunt with a firearm that is designed to be shot with one hand (i.e. a hand gun), regardless of the caliber.

Ethics play a large role in the hunter's decision to hunt with a pellet/bb gun. The hunter should consider whether the method being used is an effective and humane way to harvest an animal, and that the potential for wounding loss or unnecessary suffering is minimized. Hunting big game with a pellet/bb gun is not recommended, besides the fact that it could be considered an offence if the hunter is unable to track and kill the wounded animal with that weapon, most pellet/bb guns do not have the power to ethically and humanely kill an animal. It is highly recommended that if you are hunting with pellet/bb gun that you also carry a rim fire or center fire rifle in the case that a wounded animal needs to be tracked and killed.

In closing, if the air pistol is designed to be shot with one hand, then you would not be able to use it for hunting, as it would be considered an offence.

Regards,

jlirot
02-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Thanks for posting this moosey. This makes me think of another twist. Since airgun 'handguns' are legal. Could I carry an 'airgun pistol'? I haven't looked up the rules but I think as long as it's not a 'replica' it would be fine. I would start carrying a small pistol airgun if allowed. That would be awesome. I have no idea what's even available.

Moosecall
02-01-2019, 03:27 PM
jlirot, you can carry an airgun pistol ( < 500fps), but not hunt with because it is considered a firearm under the wildlife act (just not the firearms act) and same rules apply as other firearms. Yeah, would be nice. Hence the slingshot as a sidearm.

Thanks for posting this moosey. This makes me think of another twist. Since airgun 'handguns' are legal. Could I carry an 'airgun pistol'? I haven't looked up the rules but I think as long as it's not a 'replica' it would be fine. I would start carrying a small pistol airgun if allowed. That would be awesome. I have no idea what's even available.

jlirot
02-01-2019, 03:51 PM
jlirot, you can carry an airgun pistol ( < 500fps), but not hunt with because it is considered a firearm under the wildlife act (just not the firearms act) and same rules apply as other firearms. Yeah, would be nice. Hence the slingshot as a sidearm.

Aha. I saw it as not a firearm - under the firearms act. But, didn't look up the wildlife act.

No interest in stirring the pot - but as an imported (and loving being here!) Yank - I find the handgun laws to be a bit ridiculous here. Of course they're silly in the USA - but for mostly the opposite reasoning. It seems to me that if you're licensed to possess and licensed to hunt - you should be allowed to hunt with. I would love to be able to carry a 22 pistol while hunting. Or a 44 mag in bear country. But, tis what it tis. I sold all my handguns when I walked across that northern line...

rocksteady
02-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Must be a slow time for hunting. People are quibbling about legalities of slingshots..

What if i throw rocks at a grouse?
Is that a defined method of hunting?
Is it an offence to kill a grouse with a rock thrown by hand?
What if its a stick? Same offence or different?

jlirot
02-01-2019, 04:52 PM
I tried to get one with a rock a while back. I missed. ******* didn't flush till the second rock.

orest.06
02-01-2019, 07:09 PM
AR7 22 subsonic in your backpack unless you r Tarzan with that slingshot!

barry1974w
02-01-2019, 08:56 PM
I’ve gotten a couple grouse with sling shots, and a bunch of tree rats. When I was much younger I used to pack a folding slingshot and some marbles in my pocket while hunting big game. It works, but it’s a bit of an ass pain.

barry1974w
02-01-2019, 08:58 PM
Oh, and I have also killed grouse with thrown rocks, and whacked em with sticks. And once I got one with a fishing rod

KodiakHntr
02-02-2019, 01:59 PM
I’ve killed literally hundreds of grouse over the years with an old Barnett Diablo and steel bearings. Inside 25 yards it is nothing to punch one completely through a grouse. Zero difference between using a slingshot and instinctively shooting a bow. With a little practice and some hand eye coordination anyone can do it.

Small and heavy ammo like ball bearings or lead buckshot works best over marbles or rocks.

Actually just ordered a pocket shot slingshot for my boy for his birthday next week. Rated at 300 fps.

Clint_S
02-02-2019, 09:48 PM
I made myself a Sheppards sling last fall to pack for grouse because it'e literally just two pieces of cord and some leather and packs up real small and will hurl a much larger rock than a slingshot.
Unfortunately I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it :(

barry1974w
02-02-2019, 11:59 PM
I made myself a Sheppards sling last fall to pack for grouse because it'e literally just two pieces of cord and some leather and packs up real small and will hurl a much larger rock than a slingshot.
Unfortunately I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it :(

Try hitting the broad side from inside the barn..... ;)

barry1974w
02-03-2019, 12:01 AM
I’ve killed literally hundreds of grouse over the years with an old Barnett Diablo and steel bearings. Inside 25 yards it is nothing to punch one completely through a grouse. Zero difference between using a slingshot and instinctively shooting a bow. With a little practice and some hand eye coordination anyone can do it.

Small and heavy ammo like ball bearings or lead buckshot works best over marbles or rocks.

Actually just ordered a pocket shot slingshot for my boy for his birthday next week. Rated at 300 fps.

yeah, the buckshot or round balls sound like a great idea. Body shots with a marble you sometimes end up chasing em around in the thick stuff

Gumsehwah
02-09-2019, 11:05 AM
When I was a kid, we sometimes would find old railway spikes along the railway track and would grind the head off and file on a second point. In the right hands and in the right situation, these could be deadly against small game.

Squamch
08-05-2019, 08:58 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/dVNjH8vv/20171209-124349.jpg

Chiappa little badger worked better than a slingshot for me. I have taken a grouse with a frisbee golf driver once though. Grouse were plentiful that year.