PDA

View Full Version : fundraising

kawdy
01-09-2015, 06:15 AM
We will be starting a fund raising campaign soon, as an unknown benefactor has stepped forward to match any funds we can raise as B.C. resident hunters. Great News !

At some point there will be the ability for you as an individual to contribute financially. This will be held in trust by a respected organization or institution to be announced, prior to the request being formally made.

This money will be utilized for the most part conducting the media campaign.

A town hall meeting on Sourthern VI is in the final processes of being finalized. There are two venue options available and we are discussing the benefits of both. There will also be an opportunity to contribute directly at that time.

Thanks for everyones support, the last couple of days have been huge.

bridger
01-09-2015, 07:09 AM
Count me in!

Iltasyuko
01-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Sounds good!

Ambush
01-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Make it easy to donate. Check, EMT, Paypal, credit card etc.

Many people will have good intentions but just never get around to stuffing the envelope and stopping by the post office.

Buck
01-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Im in as per post above make it easy.

benevs
01-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Sorry if this is a bad question but would we be able to get a tax receipt for this? I figured if I'm donating a couple hundred it might be worth to ask.

thanks for all your hard work kawdy, and all the guys behind the scenes for setting this up!

boilerroom
01-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Sorry if this is a bad question but would we be able to get a tax receipt for this? I figured if I'm donating a couple hundred it might be worth to ask.

thanks for all your hard work kawdy, and all the guys behind the scenes for setting this up!

IIRC you can only get a tax receipt if you are donating to a registered charity. It is fairly simple to set-up a non-profit society to donate to but no tax receipts are given. Setting up a charity takes a lot more work and time to process.

BR

Foxton Gundogs
01-09-2015, 11:35 AM
I must have missed something here...who are you and what are you raising funds for? What kind of media campaign? Is there another thread on this?

You have missed much, check some of the Allocation posts, this is one of the individuals spearheading the non BCWF part of the allocation fight.

Foxton Gundogs
01-09-2015, 11:38 AM
IIRC you can only get a tax receipt if you are donating to a registered charity. It is fairly simple to set-up a non-profit society to donate to but no tax receipts are given. Setting up a charity takes a lot more work and time to process.

BR

AND would be counterproductive to the cause, we already have 2 (BCWF and WSS) charities in the fray hamstrung by their status

kawdy
01-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Hello again,

I wanted to provide further info on my first post in this thread. I had arrived at my hotel and read some emails from friends at 0300 in the morning and thought my good friend was offering to match donations, he was only suggesting we should find an organization to match, so much for posting after being very jetlagged. I will pick up the torch here and offer to match up to 1000.00 in donations in matching donations. Sorry for the confusion.

BRvalley
01-09-2015, 12:59 PM
regardless of the funds matching, thank you for your dedication and organizing this, resident hunters need to step up now and help out, whatever we are able, it adds up

Seeker
01-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Kawdy, you are awesome, that gave me a good laugh! You're workin too hard man! Thanks for taking on so much, count me in!!! Just an idea, IF there is any money remaining after this circus is over, can we have some sort of agreement that it is donated to the the BCWF?

coach
01-09-2015, 01:31 PM
You have missed much, check some of the Allocation posts, this is one of the individuals spearheading the non BCWF part of the allocation fight.

I'm having difficulty understanding why we need another group to send money to. IMO - that already exists in the form of LOCAL FISH AND GAME CLUBS. Clubs are already affiliated with the BCWF but are not shackled by charity status. Why not donate to your local clubs, attend meetings, get informed and push your boards of directors to put funds toward the media campaign? Sorry guys, but red flags go off when someone is asking for a financial donation but won't give details of who they are or what their affiliation is. The Allocation issue should be a force that drives all of us to become more involved at the club level. It shouldn't result in more splinter groups heading out in multiple different directions.

Just my opinion, of course..:D

Everett
01-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Coach we do need a another group that is solely dedicated to kicking the GOABC and the political lackeys in the balls. Fish and game clubs are local organizations and think locally and miss the big picture.

bandit
01-09-2015, 01:38 PM

BR

this new organization should definitely NOT have charitable status. That way it could lobby government as much as it likes without recourse from CRA.

All the environmental nuts have been abusing their charitable status and Harper has been clamping down on it. As expected, however, none of them give up their tax free status but instead complain Harper is trying to muzzle them. But I guess that's just one of many rules they feel don't apply to them.

The Dawg
01-09-2015, 01:44 PM
I'm having difficulty understanding why we need another group to send money to. IMO - that already exists in the form of LOCAL FISH AND GAME CLUBS. Clubs are already affiliated with the BCWF but are not shackled by charity status. Why not donate to your local clubs, attend meetings, get informed and push your boards of directors to put funds toward the media campaign? Sorry guys, but red flags go off when someone is asking for a financial donation but won't give details of who they are or what their affiliation is. The Allocation issue should be a force that drives all of us to become more involved at the club level. It shouldn't result in more splinter groups heading out in multiple different directions.

ya. What he said

:)

coach
01-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Coach we do need a another group that is solely dedicated to kicking the GOABC and the political lackeys in the balls. Fish and game clubs are local organizations and think locally and miss the big picture.

When the GOABC / Allocations issue is finally put to bed (meaning fair splits are legislated) will the other group still be necessary? I do like the idea of multiple clubs working together so that more than local thinking is taking place. It would be worth looking at the possibility of liaisons working between the clubs.

BRvalley
01-09-2015, 02:32 PM
can local clubs actually combine efforts effectively? too many cooks in the kitchen comes to mind...

it was mentioned the BCWF has separate entity that does not have charitable status, what is going on with that right now?...can kawdy's efforts be combined with them, and donations made to a trust established organization?

Wentrot
01-09-2015, 02:46 PM

Fully agree....anyone against this should just leave the thread and stop trying to side track the people making shit happen...please.

coach
01-09-2015, 02:50 PM
can local clubs actually combine efforts effectively? too many cooks in the kitchen comes to mind..

A legitimate concern. But I believe they can. I'm currently working on coordinating efforts between 3 clubs to put on a march on Jan 31. Those same three clubs and a few others worked together last spring to put on the BCWF Convention in Kelowna and I know a similar program is happening in the Kootenays right now.

it was mentioned the BCWF has separate entity that does not have charitable status, what is going on with that right now?...can kawdy's efforts be combined with them, and donations made to a trust established organization?

I believe the answer is yes, Kawdy's efforts can be combined. I just finished a great conversation with one of his partner's and think many of us are on the same page. Probably best to have him answer that though.

coach
01-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Fully agree....anyone against this should just leave the thread and stop trying to side track the people making shit happen...please.

I guess that mean me.. see ya later.

The Dawg
01-09-2015, 02:53 PM

Coach has been one of the most active against what is going on.

Everett
01-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Coach this will never be put to bed as long as there is guiding industry, they will always attempt to get more than there fair share wither backroom deals with local biologists our by buying politicians.
Legislation is only good till the next government changes it.

When the GOABC / Allocations issue is finally put to bed (meaning fair splits are legislated) will the other group still be necessary? I do like the idea of multiple clubs working together so that more than local thinking is taking place. It would be worth looking at the possibility of liaisons working between the clubs.

kawdy
01-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Hi guys,
To answer some of the concerns, here goes. I to would be concerned about donating money for a cause to an indivual I have never met on a forum. I am in contact with my local Victoria Club VFGPA on a couple of issues and now I have canvassed them for support regarding donations. I have asked them to be the recipient of funds/treasurer and appoint someone who can work with us directly. This should alleviate any fears that this will be put towards my Maui fund. I understand coach you are affiliated with your local club. If the VFGPA is unable to take on this task is there another club that may be able to take over responsibility. I understand you are extremely busy with your own efforts at the moment and I thank you for this.

I would be more than happy if a club stepped forward or any other entity and run with a media campaign. Myself and a few others were frustrated by the lack effort being directed towards the print media, no ones fault, just too many tasks for too few volunteers. That is why we have stepped forward. I think we need to act and act fast in order to educate and garner support from the general non hunting public, prior to this becoming law.

Once again any ideas on how to raise funds would be much appreciated.

Rob Chipman
01-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Coach:

I think that a new organization designed more as a political action group could be very useful.

It would not have to work at cross purposes to local clubs, or the BCWF or any groups with similar interests.

It could simply focus on getting very focused, so to speak.

I don't know much about F&G clubs, but I suspect they have a lot of other things going on and if they're like some other organizations I've seen they probably have some drawbacks in this application.

Additionally, there are probably some people who can contribute to this that aren't in and aren't likely to join any F&G club.

That said, there isn't a natural conflict. You could be in a local club, be part of BCWF, and be part of this. I could just be part of this. Together we could pull something off.

Everyone else:

In terms of funding and handling money, we're in the information age, and the age of open source all sorts of things. I'd suggest a non-charitable organization with completely transparent, online books of account. Be the change you want to see sort of thing.

Online, completely transparent seems inappropriate for money matters at first glance. On the other hand, If I asked you to contribute some money to pay for postage for a mailing campaign to MLAs, or an advertising campaign, or whatever, and I could demonstrate how much was collected and where it was going, you might feel a little better about contributing.

It should be non-charitable and have as much freedom of action as possible.

yama49
01-09-2015, 10:51 PM
count me in, for a donation

f350ps
01-09-2015, 11:13 PM
count me in, for a donation
Ditto for me! K

Foxton Gundogs
01-09-2015, 11:29 PM
In any war there is the regular army, the irregulars and the guerrilla fighters, all have different rules(or lack there of) to go by all have different methods, but all have the same goal........Victory over the 'enemy'. This 'war' is no different, we must all stand together and support each other put aside our differences and concentrate on the battle before us. We must work as a team even if at arms length, and above all we must never loose site or sway from our common goal. Focus folks, UNITED WE STAND!

fowl language
01-10-2015, 12:13 AM
I am half thinking to nominate foxton for a political position in his riding. all those that think he is not passionate about the cause ,say nothing........dale

Foxton Gundogs
01-10-2015, 03:19 AM
Thanks Dale....Thanks a lot:mad:................I guess I do have one qualification, I have had no ties with the guiding industry for 30 or so years. LMFat

fowl language
01-10-2015, 09:00 AM
you know ,judging from the silence I may have been short sighted..perhaps I am thinking small picture. perhaps premiere, prime minister or perhaps even elected to the senate. by god I think I am on to something....fowl

jaeger
01-10-2015, 09:42 AM
I second your quote coach this sounds fishy to me.

coach
01-10-2015, 09:57 AM
I second your quote coach this sounds fishy to me.

I've spoken with kawdy and a couple of his partners involved in developing this program. With a little more insight, I'm now confident that these guys have done their homework. They are dealing with the right people and are putting something together that should fit with the objectives of the resident hunter. I will leave it to kawdy and others to bring more information forward.

01-10-2015, 11:01 AM
Knowing the BCWF hands can be tied some what they are still the most Unified voice we have in the province in regards to fish and wildlife concerns. They DO GREAT THINGS !
That said on legal challenges or tactics that walk the fine line ....... As to not put the BCWF in a spot it shouldn't be, I COMMEND THESE GUYS. Kawdy, Kayjayness and others. I tip my hat to you for stepping up and I and many are or will be supporting ANYTHING that brings this mess more in line with the rest of North America standards and gives the Residents of BC ..... The taxpayers what is theirs in the first place ...... Not the chosen few at the top of the Guide industry ...... And foreign ownership who care less about this province other then money to take from it.
Go for it boys ...... Your train is leaving the station, and judging by the up roar province wide, your train extends from the coast to the east slopes of the Rockies and North to south, you have the support of thousands.

CT

nelsonob1
01-10-2015, 10:14 PM
I would be happy to donate.

With regards to charitable status, as others have mentioned there are a number of regulatory hurdles and associated expenses. however, there are a number of intermediary organizations that work with non profits to set up designated funds and are able to issue tax certificates and mange the financial accounts. I have sat on the Board of a couple of non profits that have used this service. If it helps I can put the organizers in touch with a couple of reputable groups based in Vancouver. Just Pm me.

Great work people.