PDA

View Full Version : Roosevelt Elk Special Limited Entry Draw

Ferenc
01-08-2015, 10:04 PM
What do you guys think about getting this hunt back on the table for us residents...It was cancelled in 2010.. Anyone know the story why .. Be a nice one to get back for the resident.. Maybe get it reinstated.

Sitkaspruce
01-08-2015, 10:51 PM
I thought it was cancelled due to pressure from the guides on the island.....Something about taking one animal away from the quota or something along those lines....

Chers

SS

Ferenc
01-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Last thing that was said was the stakeholders (various) associations would work with the Fish and Wildlife Branch to determine when the hunt could be reinstated .. Be a nice one to get a Premiers tag ! : )

hunter1947
01-09-2015, 04:57 AM
If the special draw was cancelled do to the guide outfitter complaining about one less tag this sucks :sad:..

Compare the revenue that the one outfitter would get from the one LEH tag to that of how much revenue the wildlife branch would get with the one special tag from us the residential hunters there our game animals we should be allowed to have a special LEH draw back into the draw system.

HD95
01-09-2015, 08:53 AM
I thought it was cancelled due to pressure from the guides on the island.....Something about taking one animal away from the quota or something along those lines....

Chers

SS

SS , You are correct,Another GO vs resident hunter issue that needs to be corrected. Approx. thirty years of applying,no luck.

bighornbob
01-09-2015, 09:19 AM
It was cancelled due to the outfitter in the area. It was not due to his quota being lowered (the quota would remain the same) it was due to the outfitter complaining that all "his" big elk were being killed each year. I guess every hunter that got drawn always went into this particular outfitter area and harvested a bull. He wanted compensation for the loss of his big elk. How petty considering money from the draw goes back into elk conversation.

Before this gets into a guide bashing post, some BC residents from the elk valley also complained at the beginning of the special sheep draw as their rams were being killed every year by the auction tag winner who chose to hunt the large rams that frequent the mine areas of the elk valley.

BHB

01-09-2015, 09:50 AM
It was and can be a GREAT fundraiser to put more critters on the Mountain, that said, just needs to be refined to meet with most Resident and Wildlife Bio's and Managers idea's of what is best for the Herd so to speak.
It can be a viable fundraiser.
What should really happen to put more money back into wildlife is a LARGE portion of our License and tag fees to go back in to the resource and its management.

CT

HD95
01-09-2015, 12:45 PM
It was cancelled due to the outfitter in the area. It was not due to his quota being lowered (the quota would remain the same) it was due to the outfitter complaining that all "his" big elk were being killed each year. I guess every hunter that got drawn always went into this particular outfitter area and harvested a bull. He wanted compensation for the loss of his big elk. How petty considering money from the draw goes back into elk conversation.

Before this gets into a guide bashing post, some BC residents from the elk valley also complained at the beginning of the special sheep draw as their rams were being killed every year by the auction tag winner who chose to hunt the large rams that frequent the mine areas of the elk valley.

BHB
Fact is,Outfitter belly-aching to the ministry has resulted in another lost opportunity for resident hunters.

markomoose
01-09-2015, 05:54 PM
For sure I would put in for it.It's the same as buying a ticket to support minor hockey/sports.I don't expect to be drawn but I would support the cause.

Deadshot
01-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Just buy some WSSBC tickets.

houndogger
01-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Thought island guides were good the guys...weird lol

Crab Bait
01-09-2015, 09:55 PM
There were a number of reasons for the cancellation of this hunt, complaints by the outfit owners about losing one of "their" trophy elk was one of the reasons.

Keep in mind a guided hunt for a Roosevelt bull is $25,000+ USD, and the biggest outfits have waiting lists. Outfit owners are all for more bull elk tags. Their allocations (number of tags) have increased over the past ten years, as elk populations have increased.

They would like to decrease the number of leh resident bull tags, (give the residents more cow tags!) and add a couple of more bull tags to their three year allocation. They have 25,000 reasons per bull tag, to want more.

houndogger
01-10-2015, 10:05 AM
So 80/20 is fine by you and the bcwf? Thanks the rest of us island guys that live with these majestic giant elk thank you for your support.

bruin
01-10-2015, 10:17 AM
In the meantime! http://wildsheepsociety.net/hunt-of-a-lifetime/

Online ticket orders will be up in the near future

squamishhunter
01-10-2015, 12:13 PM
There are enough elk on the island for every resident to take one every few years, no draw. The deer can't compete for the food sources. The north island is elk, bear, cougar, wolf.

Need more predator hunters, imo.

Spy
01-10-2015, 01:03 PM
I saw more Island elk this year & less deer! Resident hunters should have a short 6point season , or an archery season at the very least!

Ferenc
01-10-2015, 04:28 PM
I'd like to see the numbers on how many hunters did apply for this hunt in the past.. I'm sure a lot did and with all due respect winning a guided hunt for these Rosie's would be awesome..I forsure favour a DIY style hunt...I'm sure any avid elk hunter thinks the same as I do... Eh 47 !

bighornbob
01-10-2015, 06:43 PM
I'd like to see the numbers on how many hunters did apply for this hunt in the past.. I'm sure a lot did and with all due respect winning a guided hunt for these Rosie's would be awesome..I forsure favour a DIY style hunt...I'm sure any avid elk hunter thinks the same as I do... Eh 47 !

The new wild sheep society fundraiser is a guided hunt. The previous tags that were stopped a few years ago were just that a LEH tag. There were two tags available, one was a LEH tag for a BC resident ( where the cost was $15 and you could buy as many as you wanted). The second tag was a auction tag that was sold in the states to the highest bidder. This was also just a tag as the hunter would still have to hire a guide. All the money from the resident special LEH draws and the auction tag went into wildlife.

Bhb

houndogger
01-10-2015, 06:53 PM
There are enough elk on the island for every resident to take one every few years, no draw. The deer can't compete for the food sources. The north island is elk, bear, cougar, wolf.

Need more predator hunters, imo.
Deer pop is stable go for a drive in the snow they are there. We haven't been getting the snow like normal juring deer season and the hunting is tough. It will never be like the good old days with today's logging practices.