PDA

View Full Version : Future of hunting

Apolonius
01-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Trying not to duplicate others.And up front not an expert on wildlife management.No PHD.From observations what i picked.Moose in region 7, harvested in 1988, 6419.In 1994 harvested 5110.In 1997 harvested 3945.All numbers +/-.A very big reduction for hunters.In Region 3 Mule deer ,1988 harvest of 5042.In the season of 1992 harvest of 3959.In the season of 1997 a harvest of 2486.This is almost 50% reduction in deer harvest.Mid nineties when restrictions were added in the okanagan region ,everyone went to Kamloops and screwd up that population.Reasons for that would be many.Everything worked against wildlife.As i see it the people on the decision table did not do the right thing.A.Advanses in technology ,optical and in gun quality was not taken in to account.A 30-30 would not shoot out to 300 yards,only John Wayne could kill the bad guys at 1000.The 80s was the start of motorization of the hunters,you could count in one hand the guys with ATVs.Now is the opposite ,you can count the guys that don't have them.Clearcutting and access is beyond imagination.The animals exposed and no place to run.A gate on a road today is basically just an inconvenience for the ATV rider.A gate should mean NO ENTRY.We still give out draws for cow moose and does.The thinking is that the ratio male/female is not good.Instead of saying we have too many females,time to start thinking ,not enough males.I know some people will be offended if i say ,restrict female hunting,they are the ones that give us new blood.Calf season has to stop,no matter how much you like the tender steaks.I know all of us like to hunt the rut but if we don't do the sacrifices we need today,there will be nothing left.Me ,i got maybe another 10 years ,and the last five as a potato peeler.And the big one is Predators.Environments that support big populations have no predators ,Newfoundland ,New Zealand,Anticosti island.And all enclosures in private ranches.The ratio in wildlife per square mile is amazing compared to what we have here.Truth is government and regional managers have no power to do much PC.But we as hunters ,we do.As hunters we should hunt black bears,they taste better than most game.And every hunter that sees a wolf ,should own a hide.And they make a very good trophy.Guys with hounds should take out more friends for cats.As hunters we have to do our part and hope the managers will do theirs.If we don't sacrifice today and i include the natives too,there will be nothing left for the next generation.I might sound simple but most of the time i find the best solutions are just that,simple.And the people that don't want to solve the problems just complicate them.Sorry for the long post…..and the expert feet i stepped on.LOL

Spy
01-08-2015, 09:38 PM
You are right on the Money ! I would go as far as saying shut it down until numbers rebound!

Apolonius
01-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Unfortunately this will restrict recruitment of new hunters.If we as hunters focus on the predator problem,managers on rules and regulations and COs on poaching and all parties on the same page we will see a turnaround.

Spy
01-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Unfortunately this will restrict recruitment of new hunters.If we as hunters focus on the predator problem,managers on rules and regulations and COs on poaching and all parties on the same page we will see a turnaround.
I tell you what will restrict recruitment, No animals to hunt!

Liveforthehunt
01-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Idno see it as you will ... I pass up on many animals every year shoot my fair share of big game every year and until I go to my " honey holes " and they stop producing there isn't much of an issue here.... shut it down for a few years that's pretty ridiculous to say in my opinion especially on a hunting website ;). They could change regulations doe antler less whitetail any muley buck cow calf draws could be a start. Shutting the whole season down could backfire with disease and some unhappy farmers . Yea sure animal pops are down I won't deny that but there is nothing close yo extinction and won't be for a very long time even with the current regs. My 2 penny's

HarryToolips
01-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Some species from my observations are doing well..I do agree with the OP that access needs to be restricted..this would lead to better hunting IMO, and it starts with the logging companies: get them to de-activate more of the spur roads after a block has been harvested then replanted..

hunter fisher
01-08-2015, 10:43 PM
bring back the bounty on wolves!

Sitkaspruce
01-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Why are hunters to be blamed and why do we, as hunters, have to be restricted even more??

Like I have already said in another post, it is too bad that it has taken the allocation BS to stir up the hornets nest.....I would have been great to see us hunters standing up like this for better wolf control, unregulated hunting, improving habitat and better systems (what ever they may be) for protecting animals from rail and road ways. But we didn't, until a certain minister took food from our plates to give to people who "buy" that animal.....then we all got pissed off!!

But, the wolves and other preds, unregulated hunting, vehicles and trains and the biggest one, loss of habitat also take food off our plates, possibly even more so that the claimed 186 animals the gov says we actually lost.

I, for one, am sick and tired of always taking the blame and being regulated even more for when populations are in question. Why do we get regulated even more.....because we allow it and we have lots of hunters who think that another BS regulation will magically save animals and increase the population.

WE need to take this pressure and start putting on the parties to start managing all wildlife, improving habitat and doing way more to ensure heard are healthy....without restricting us hunters.

Restrictions = less hunters and less recruitment=weaker voice when the government decides to do something like this again.

Cheers

SS

keoke
01-08-2015, 11:03 PM
In the 80's trucks were real trucks and you could bush wack with them. Now a days the front bumper isnt more than 6-7" off the ground.

two-feet
01-08-2015, 11:27 PM
Habitat and predators are the key to wildlife populations. Period. If you have excellent habitat then there will be enough game to go around, and this includes first nations, antlerless seasons, motorized access etc etc.

Respectfully, you are WRONG to blame hunting or hunters for the lower number of game animals we are experiencing. Anecdotes and gut feeling just dont cut it. We have some excellent scientists well versed in wildlife management in this province, if they were givin the tools that they need to implement there ideas you would see a huge difference. This same scenario has played out in many other jurisdictions that are better funded and have louder voices asking for an increase in wildlife and they have worked wonders. But not by putting more barriers in front of hunters.

You are walking a VERY slippery slope trying to ramp up support for taking away hunter opportunity, your intentions are good but your gun is pointed in the wrong direction, so to speak.

Habitat and pred control. Dont ask me, ask science!

Buck
01-09-2015, 12:10 AM
I hunt region 5 every year could have bang flopped 2 bulls but i had no draw.I saw lots of cow and calves as well.A large group of native hunters and 3 other groups with bull tags and they all got skunked.All road hunting lol.

bandit
01-09-2015, 12:24 AM
Predator control is something we do badly in BC. If you look at the most thriving deer populations in the world (NZ, Argentina, Western Europe) deer have no natural predators. IMO the current rising wolf population in BC is just a rebound from when poisoning and aggressive trapping were common.

Whilst we all need to do our bit, I think FN have the biggest potential influence; it's clear the government have no balls to do the right thing. As we know FN have a different set of rules to play by so why not use it to everyone's advantage?

Drillbit
01-09-2015, 01:33 AM
I know atv restrictions and deactivated roads restrict me for predator hunting in areas where there is no GOS moose. The only reason I hunt predators in those ares is to help out the moose populations (5-13).

Apolonius
01-09-2015, 07:34 AM
I am not trying to say we are to blame for everything as it seems to be with more LEH and restrictions.I am not saying we are the problem,but we are a big part of the solution.New Mexico had their Desert big horn endangered.They closed the hunting part and they had to deal with predators only.They did not blame the hunters by the closure,but by doing that they isolated the problem(lions),and now they see the rewards by having more tags and an open season.No one says that closure is the only answer,closure on some time related hunts, is.A closure of a road will protect some of the areas for the game to thrive.Like someone said it restricts his ability to get in there and go predator hunting.There are ways to have an exception for that.True the native factor is huge,and they will not come to the table as long as we see each other as enemies.In my opinion restrictions are restrictions if we perceive them to be.It is sacrifices we have to make.I don't agree with LEH except in situations of building up the stock.And they shouldn't be a money raising option.As for habitat ,if Anticosti island (predator free) can support more than 25 deer per square Km i believe we have the ability too.As for the farming damage,not hard to control,enough hunters here to willingly help.What about the "no hunting" signs,everywhere?????Except in situations were the claim is just to get some money from the government.As for the experts……are they not in control all this years?They are the ones that limited harvest by managing with LEH for everything.Did LEH bring up the numbers anywhere?Vancouver island Elk???I know it is a tool ,but not the only tool.

J_T
01-09-2015, 08:03 AM
Guys, the single most effective way to have an impact right now is to use a paragraph break. Please, separate your thoughts and improve your communication.

chilcotin hillbilly
01-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Hunters are to blame.........period! Not enough predator hunters, to many guys that only want to put food on the table and expect the government to wipe their a--es and deal with predator control.
Enough voices would bring in some FN reporting regulation, road closures, and better trapline usage as there are still a pile of unused areas. Spending a week out calling wolves and coyotes needs to become the norm in BC, but I would say less then 1% of hunters actually gets of the couch and does it.

Apolonius
01-09-2015, 08:50 AM
After reading my post again,and having my coffee….holy smokes.What the hell am i smoking?No ATV or Road closures,i am too old to pack anything out.It is easier for me to shoot a cow ,than counting antler points on a moose.And my teeth are not what they used to be,so keep the calf season too.Extend the season too, as i get older,it takes me longer to fill my tag.And what the hell was i thinking blaming the experts????This are the ones that gave me generous seasons.For the younger generation…..find your own experts,and me a new dealer.His holy weed is crap.On the serious side CH if only 2% of the hunters did their duty with predators ,we would be better off.Hunting your moose gut pile the next morning would very easily replace the animal you harvested.

solo
01-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Trying not to duplicate others.And up front not an expert on wildlife management.No PHD.From observations what i picked.Moose in region 7, harvested in 1988, 6419.In 1994 harvested 5110.In 1997 harvested 3945.All numbers +/-.A very big reduction for hunters.In Region 3 Mule deer ,1988 harvest of 5042.In the season of 1992 harvest of 3959.In the season of 1997 a harvest of 2486.This is almost 50% reduction in deer harvest.

These are the reported harvest numbers? So that means you have left out the numbers of animals that are traditionally harvested, for which there are no reported numbers? Would be more interesting to compare then versus now with a full set of accurate statistics that gives a picture of total game populations and mortality from all causes.

Apolonius
01-09-2015, 04:14 PM
I don't think anyone hunting traditionally (that i guess means Native) ever reported what or how manny animals they harvested.I could be wrong.Those numbers are what was reported then.I don't know if anything today is available without FOI.Those numbers show a trend to less animals harvested by the reporting resident hunter.And this could be ,because of limits LEH imposes or less animals out there.According to governments, game populations are down in some areas ,stable in some.And that is the reasoning of LEH,at least i think so.And it is easier to manage harvest by managing hunters not animals.One of the points is, that maybe thats good in some situations ,but it does not grow the population.And i personally realize there is not one thing that will fix everything.As hunters with the "blessing" (regulations) of the people in power ,we can at least help with predation.Government and wildlife biologists ,thanks to political correctness can't do it.Thats is our part.

Doostien
01-09-2015, 06:23 PM
You are right on the Money ! I would go as far as saying shut it down until numbers rebound!

This has always been my problem with the LEH for the longest time. If they're doing this to 'help' animal numbers, why not just close whatever it is and wait five years and in the meantime control their predators?

The answer is pretty simple though, its that fee you pay when you apply for your LEH. Too much money in that, seems they'd almost rather numbers stay low to justify the LEH.

Drillbit
01-10-2015, 01:05 AM
Hunters are to blame.........period! Not enough predator hunters, to many guys that only want to put food on the table and expect the government to wipe their a--es and deal with predator control.
Enough voices would bring in some FN reporting regulation, road closures, and better trapline usage as there are still a pile of unused areas. Spending a week out calling wolves and coyotes needs to become the norm in BC, but I would say less then 1% of hunters actually gets of the couch and does it.

I agree. I am the only one I know that spends 99% of the time hunting to preserve game animals. Nobody wants to spend money if they aren't getting something(meat) in return. And then I have to deal with all the restrictions in place that are intended for game animals.

I propose a ground beef exchange for predators sponsored by the BCgov/MOE to get some meat hunters off the couch. Or a bounty system that would be spun as negative on "the cbc"

MichelD
01-10-2015, 12:09 PM
"Guys, the single most effective way to have an impact right now is to use a paragraph break. Please, separate your thoughts and improve your communication."

Exactly. A full page of text with no paragraph breaks gives me a headache. I couldn't even read the original post.

keoke
01-10-2015, 12:30 PM
This has always been my problem with the LEH for the longest time. If they're doing this to 'help' animal numbers, why not just close whatever it is and wait five years and in the meantime control their predators?

The answer is pretty simple though, its that fee you pay when you apply for your LEH. Too much money in that, seems they'd almost rather numbers stay low to justify the LEH.

Maybe they should set up an LEH points system. 2 points for a coyote pelt, 5 points for a cougar pelt, 10 points for a wolf pelt.

Buck
01-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Whoopee i got 2 points today.