PDA

View Full Version : Reactions from USA, Please Post here

Daybreak
01-07-2015, 06:10 PM
I've got a reasonable thread going on the North Carolina forum. I will post some quotes.

"That's BS too.... sounds like ya'll need to elect some new law makers!"

Made me smile.

If you are getting positive reaction from the USA please post here. It's empowering to have their support.

Daybreak
01-07-2015, 06:16 PM
I guess they figure they can make more $$$ from the outfitters than they can from the folks that live there. Everything always goes back to $$$'s. Sounds almost like racketeering.

Daybreak
01-07-2015, 06:18 PM
I'll be the 1st to admit that all I know about this is what the OP posted. But IF (big if) they are allocating game unfairly I know I would be upset

Daybreak
01-07-2015, 06:22 PM
"I would have to look at the whole picture, since game animals are not "owned" by anyone in this state and cannot be considered as property, then it becomes an issue of the priviledge of hunting being taken away and given to another party for monetary gain. I would think that if this issue came up for a vote in the legislature or WRC, that a lobby from that affected persons would be the best defense using the majority vote as the greatest weapon against such an offense. I'm not at all familiar with your procedures for dealing with such a threat, but I'll assume that you are well versed on that issue."

These people feel the same way we do.

Buck
01-07-2015, 06:26 PM
These are from Alaska:

I know exactly where you are coming from Ramcam. Unfortunately this is getting worse and seems to be the norm, not the exception across North America. Just this past spring we had many “sportsmen” organizations support a bill that took away coveted hunts from us residents so they could be sold to the highest bidder. Makes me sick that money trumps opportunities for residents!
Although I can’t afford to do a guided hunt, I would boycott BC based on what you have presented. Thanks for sharing and bringing these issues to light.

Isn't it great how when it comes to the almighty dollar, it really brings out the best in our governments.......

Don't get me wrong, I love BC, spent many vacations there. I recently viewed a video on Youtube entitled Salmon Confidential Documentary 2013 British Columbia. It's very obvious that the government there is in bed with the commercial fish farms. Looks like the guiding folks took note and followed suit.

I feel your pain. Here in the Yukon, the government recently allowed an area that has been residents only for the last 12 years to be put back into outfitting use. The new outfitter promptly hammered the area for Sheep (North Curl outfitters) and this will impact resident opportunities in this area. The outfitter is currently under no quota for Sheep in his area. In fact, currently here in the Yukon no outfitter is under any quota for Sheep, and guys like Jim Shockey take very Moose they can, which has affected Moose populations in areas accessible to residents. Another situation we have faced here is outfitters working with air services to keep resident hunters out of "their" areas. I have talked to hunters who were flatly refused by air services to fly them in to lakes the outfitter had camps on.
Yet I bring these sorts of things up with other residents, and no one seems to get to worked up about it. Voting as a block, you think that we hunters could show e politicians who they are supposed to be working for.

Ferenc
01-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Those are truly amazing replies.....good work !!!

kayjayess
01-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Gents. My hats off to you for the efforts you have put forth. Change is happening, in my opinion, and I believe it is on the backs of the BCWF but also the hard work and support by the likes of individuals on this forum.

I have found that most of our American friends, once educated to what is truly happening to BC residents, are in support of our plight. Our messages have resonated with them and elicited strong shows of support. Nice work.

HD95
01-07-2015, 08:22 PM
We have support from our American friends as shown on Rokslide as well.

Ferenc
01-07-2015, 09:29 PM
I'm not as good as you all with words.. But has anyone tried. Montana Hunt Talk forum. They have a real good strong view on resident hunting

Husky7mm
01-07-2015, 10:11 PM
What changes will be brought about by getting empathy from like minded Americas? They have no dog in this fight. With forums and the Internet this is easy to do but is often unproductive. It's makes us all feel good if people agree with us but why not spend your energy here on the home front ?

kawdy
01-07-2015, 11:44 PM
Husky7mm,
IMO our efforts in B.C. like letters, town hall meetings, protests and other local efforts put pressure on the Liberals. Our efforts in other countries put pressure on the outfitters. This is their bread and butter. This WILL effect the amount of foreigners deciding on whether or not to hunt with a member of the GOABC. It may be one it may be a hundreds there will be no way to quantify our efforts, doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Our job is not to make a decision for them but to educate them and let them make a decision on their own. Collectively we have thousands of views, these viewers are and will create discussion. This is what we need. Small effort for anyone two choose ownership of two states and start a thread. Also a good way to connect with other hunters, already made a couple of cyber friends with promises to meet in the future.

By the way many are not agreeing with us, but further explanation of facts normally brings them on board. I Already received pm's telling me they are planning to hunt with an outfitter outside of the GOABC.

tripleseven
01-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Here was my favorite from Washington:
Residents should always have first priority. They are the ones with skin in the game when it comes to decisions regarding management. They pay the local taxes. They built the roads. They settled the area. They have the tradition of hunting locally. They suffer when local areas are closed where a well heeled non resident can just move on to another area. They put up with animals in their gardens and crops. Their cars are the ones damaged by collisions with animals. They are they are the ones who sacrifice so the animals can be there in the first place. They should always be the first in line to have access for hunting. Non residents should only be allowed when it doesn't interfere with a resident's opportunity to hunt.

If you agree with the argument that non resident money is a valuable asset used for management and states/provinces should make all the money they can off of game animals, take that argument to it's logical conclusion. You will end up with states/provinces deciding that all tags and licenses should be sold to non residents and be guided because the State makes the most money that way. Game animals are to be managed for the good of the residents, not to make money for the government. And they definitely shouldn't be managed just to support a big bureaucracy.

07blackwater
01-08-2015, 04:30 AM
Is anyone on any of the European forums at all?

I only speak English, unfortunately.

hunter1947
01-08-2015, 06:13 AM
Have you got any information on what the guide outfitters bring in for revenue to that of the residential hunters ???.

bridger
01-08-2015, 07:02 AM
Have you got any information on what the guide outfitters bring in for revenue to that of the residential hunters ???.

residents $230,000,000 nonresident $116,000,000. Resident money stays in the province. Much of the NonResident money flows back to Alberta, Montana, California, etc, where the international hunting companies originate.

hunter1947
01-08-2015, 09:48 AM
residents $230,000,000 nonresident $116,000,000. Resident money stays in the province. Much of the NonResident money flows back to Alberta, Montana, California, etc, where the international hunting companies originate.

Thanks bridger goes to show all that the residents hunter put out $114,000,00 more then the outfitters..