PDA

View Full Version : Turkeys

derek p
03-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Last year it was bears...this year I'm into the turkey hunting. Went out on saturday and bought a new barrel for the shotgun and have started annoying the wife with turkey call.
Being a virgin to the turkey hunting, I 'm looking for any and all sugestions to get me started. What is the best choke? The right choice of shells, morning or evening or miday. SPot and stalk or calling.
And of course the obvious what areas should I think of travelling to?
All help will be greatly appreciated.
Might just have a spot in the truck if someone's interested, not sure if I can talk the wife into camping for turkeys.:lol:

Thanks Guys..

Derek

Elkhound
03-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Wish I could help ya Derek. I know nothing. :lol: Good luck. Take pics for me

palmer
03-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Talk to KISHMAN...he is Turkey crazy and knows a few hotspots....

Good luck
Palmer

bsa30-06
03-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Talk to KISHMAN...he is Turkey crazy and knows a few hotspots....

Good luck
Palmer

I was wondering how long it was going to take before kishmans name popped up on this thread.

kishman
03-26-2007, 04:52 AM
Well speak of the devil.....:twisted: , this'll be my 2nd year out looking for them. Last year it was Turks 1 - kishman 0, as far as location goes I think pretty much anywhere east of Rock Creek along the border. From what I've read the Eastern side of the Kootneys seems to have a lot of birds, the Creston area as well....
I think the best advice I got last year was to get out and scout. If you can, make a trip to your intended area ahead of time to look around. Good luck.

kishman

derek p
03-26-2007, 07:46 AM
I was hoping to attract Kishman to this thread, I know he had an awesome hunt last year and was part of my inspiration to give this a try this year.
After a long wet winter, any day spent hunting is a good day.
Thanks for all the info and help.

Derek

ARC
03-26-2007, 08:06 AM
I've gotten 2 of the birds now and what I found is that it helps to go scouting right at dusk. The last turkey I got was with a group and I noticed that they roosted in the same trees every night. As they flew into the trees and settled down for the night they were very vocal. So my plan usually is to cover lots of ground at dusk while calling. Once they are located I will sneak back in there in the morning and try to call one in to shooting range. I am no expert, but that seemed to work for me.

Shop Lord
03-26-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm no turkey expert but my little brother is. We got a huge bird last year and will be trying again soon. These are some tips from him:
-scout in the late afternoon, find where the birds are roosting and sneak in the next morning in the dark and start calling.
-don't call too much or too loud.
-don't move, turkeys have crazy vision.
-sunny mornings are the best, we are in the bush an hour before daylight.

derek p
03-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Just booked the time off work, no problems off the afternoon of the 13 and back to work on the 19th or the 20th or maybe mon the 23rd, man I love my job. No problems getting the time off, they are either trying to make me happy or trying to get rid of me. If only the wife was as eager to please me:lol:

Keep the info coming boys, I'm off to get a turkey.8)

stanway
03-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Good luck Derek and keep us posted!

I wish I could go (haven't been yet), but the schedule and kids just don't allow it yet.

Say, forget the shotgun...why don't you use that 17HMR I sold you. You only need to get within 200 yards of the things.8-) :lol:

Cheers,

James

palmer
03-26-2007, 05:14 PM
KISHMAN....HBCs TURKEY KING....Sounds like a good title....

mark
03-26-2007, 07:00 PM
KISHMAN....HBCs TURKEY KING....Sounds like a good title....

How can one be the turkey king if you havnt bagged one???? Id like to be known as the grizzly king but it would seem sily as ive never shot one!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1538.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2511&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)
April 16/06 :lol:

calvin L
03-26-2007, 07:06 PM
I would go out and buy a turkey choke , use #2 shells, 2 3/4 " to 3 1/2 " shells . Using the 17hmr is a good idea also . I have tried with my bow (no luck so far) as for there eye sight it is unreal I got so mad after being busted I wanted to use my center fire . BUT DID NOT.. Scout and dusk be there before light . and sit still . Get a decoy if you can . Good luck

calvin L

palmer
03-26-2007, 07:06 PM
How can one be the turkey king if you havnt bagged one???? Id like to be known as the grizzly king but it would seem sily as ive never shot one!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1538.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2511&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)
April 16/06 :lol:

Kishman ...Lives and breathes TURKEY HUNTING...I've killed somewhere around 7 turkeys and don't have 1 /10 the interest he does....

derek p
03-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Stanway you should never of let me buy the .17 as I let the wife shoot it and now she thinks it's hers.:eek: It might give me a reason to get another gun. :lol:
I will carry it in the truck, not sure if I will use it or not, depends how cooperating the turks are.

Mark and Kishman, step aside, a new legend is about to be born!:lol:

stanway
03-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Stanway you should never of let me buy the .17 as I let the wife shoot it and now she thinks it's hers.:eek: It might give me a reason to get another gun. :lol:

Yeah, yeah, I know, that's another one of the rifles I should not have sold...

Anyway, there you go - the perfect reason to bring the wife along - let her hunt turkeys too and you guys can take 2 of them home.:wink:

Also, you should never need a 'reason' to buy another gun.:biggrin:

derek p
03-26-2007, 07:38 PM
of course I invited the wife to come along, I have to do that. It's her decision, but after being cooped up with her all winter,8-) I won't be that disapointed if she can't make it. :lol:

In reality all my play time makes our relationship work. Or rather I tell myself this. I'll know the answer when I come home.:lol:

ioulia
03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey Hunny,

Just so you know, the feeling is mutual! Have fun! :lol:

sealevel
03-26-2007, 07:54 PM
three of us have a plan to go down the first weekend in may. archery only turkeys and bears.

kishman
03-26-2007, 08:52 PM
I will carry it in the truck, not sure if I will use it or not, depends how cooperating the turks are.

Mark and Kishman, step aside, a new legend is about to be born!:lol:

That's the spirit fella, go get 'em8-) .

Huli Huli
03-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Full choke, at minimum. Look at catalogs that also sell extra-full chokes for turkey.
Turkeys eyesight is many times that of a human, so say 100 times better. However, it is also important to remember their hearing is extremely good also, on the range of 50 times better than humans. It may surprise you that you don't have to call too loud.

huntwriter
03-26-2007, 10:36 PM
What is the best choke?

If you can try a few different chokes such modified, full and extra-full (also called turkey choke). Remember that the kick of the gun becomes harder the tighter the choke gets. The choke that puts cosistently up to four pellets at 30 yards into a turkeys noggin and upper neck is the one you want to use.

The right choice of shells
Brand name is not important. The best shot is copper platted lead pellets. Or so called turkey shot in the sizes such #6, #5 and #4. Try different sizes and see which ones pattern best out of your gun.

morning or evening or miday.
In the morning the birds are most active. Find a roosting tree the evening before the hunt and then set up near that tree (not closer than 150 to 200 yards) the next morning. You should scout the area before so you know where the turkeys feed and what route they take. Noon can be good to as most hens return to their nest and toms wander about looking for hens that not yet built a nest. Evenings is not so good as turkeys return to their roost, if disturbed they may change their pattern altogether, even looking for a new roosting tree.

SPot and stalk or calling.
Turkeys have eyesight superior to eagles and key in on the slightest movement. Spot and Stalk is therefore nearly impossible to do. The best is to find several travel points where you can call a turkey to you. Spend up to an hour on each location and call. Stick with simple calling such as yelps, clucks and purrs. Mix your calling up a bit so you sound like several turkey hens. Remember that a turkey knows very well what another turkey sounds like, so make sure you sound like a real turkey. In the early morning, just by first light, I usually start with soft tree talk, and then move on to soft yelps mixed with clucks. Latter when the tom’s fly down I start with soft yelps and very soft purrs. Aggressive calling should be avoided and only used as a last resort. I do not recommend aggressive calling for novice turkey hunters, it’s to tricky.

And of course the obvious what areas should I think of travelling to?
I have yet to hunt turkeys here in BC but I am sure that other HBC will be able to tell you where to find these magnificent birds. Here in BC turkeys can be found in the eastern regions near the Alberta border. I believe that is the area where they are most commonly found.

If you need more help with calling and hunting tactics feel free to ask me.

Good luck to you. Just be careful, once you hunted turkeys you will find that it is highly addictive. I started 15 years ago and it never let me go again. Turkey hunting is my passion equaled only to the passion and love I have for my wife.:)

Elkhound
03-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Turkey hunting is my passion equaled only to the passion and love I have for my wife.:)

Good one..... you the man. She reads your posts too eh?:lol:

huntwriter
03-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Good one..... you the man. She reads your posts too eh?:lol:

lol. Not to divert from the topic here. Actually my wife does not read what I write here. Fact is we are married for just a little over ten years and are still very much in love with each other but also best friends. Yes, I am a very lucky man!:biggrin:

derek p
03-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Well it appears my wife does check into this site from time to time. Might have to be careful in the future,

Huntwriter, thank-you for some great info.

I'm anxiously awaiting, having never hunted turks before, I will try to be prepared for all situations. I will be camping, does anyone know what the temperatures are doing in the rock creek and east areas? Sure it seems irrelevant today, but if the weather is still fairly cold, a whole new type of gear might be required.

Thanks Derek

Rackmastr
03-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Got my Non-Res hunting license and my Game Bird tag today in the mail.....I'm suprised there are no spots to specifically notch out for turkey? I've looked in the regs but cant find the details on tagging or notching the tag for a turkey. Am I crazy? Missing something obvious?

Either way....very excited to get over to BC for some birds this spring on my first hunt!!

mark
03-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Well it appears my wife does check into this site from time to time. Might have to be careful in the future,

Huntwriter, thank-you for some great info.

I'm anxiously awaiting, having never hunted turks before, I will try to be prepared for all situations. I will be camping, does anyone know what the temperatures are doing in the rock creek and east areas? Sure it seems irrelevant today, but if the weather is still fairly cold, a whole new type of gear might be required.

Thanks Derek

Hey Derek, its been like 15 around kelowna the past afternoons, shouldnt be much different there. Having said that, It was pretty chili at nights last year when I was turkey hunting! I woke up to an inch of fresh snow the morn I got my bird! :smile:

derek p
03-28-2007, 07:41 PM
That's along the line of thinking I had Mark, I just hated the thought of 1 man and a large wall tent with stove for a spring turkey hunt.

I will stay to the small tent, with a good bag...lots of beer and spirtits should get me through the night.8-)

TRACKnTRAIL
03-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Just wondering what type of calls you guys prefer to use (brand style etc...)

huntwriter
03-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Personally I prefer friction calls (glass/slate calls and the good old box paddle calls). I can’t use mouth calls as they make me gag. In the past 15 years I used many different brands. Then last year I meet a fellow down in Louisiana. Brian Warner is an avid and knowledgeable turkey hunter. He finally got tired of using calls that do not sound exactly like a turkey does or where he had to make other compromises. In short order he began to make his own calls and won several turkey call contests. Last year Brian Warner founded “Heirloom Custom Turkey Calls”. He sells the calls as fast as he can make them in his wood carving shop. Last summer Brian called on me to join him as Pro Staff member and after field-testing his calls I was convinced that this is a product I can put my name and reputation behind without any reservations. So now I use exclusively Heirloom Custom Turkey Calls (http://outdoorswithothmarvohringer.blogspot.com/2007/02/heirloom-custom-turkey-calls.html) and retired all others.

Husky7mm
03-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Brian called on me to join him as Pro Staff member and after field-testing his calls I was convinced that this is a product I can put my name and reputation behind without any reservations. So now I use exclusively Heirloom Custom Turkey Calls (http://outdoorswithothmarvohringer.blogspot.com/2007/02/heirloom-custom-turkey-calls.html) and retired all others.

Of coarse it would be a conflict of interest to use competators calls while your on his pro staff.Thanks for the turkey info though.

Husky7mm
03-31-2007, 07:37 PM
I just hated the thought of 1 man and a large wall tent with stove for a spring turkey hunt.

I will stay to the small tent, with a good bag...lots of beer and spirtits should get me through the night.8-)[/quote]

Surely some HBCer will join DerekP on his turkey hunt so he doesnt have to drink alone!:sad: If you get skunked go east and look me up in the east kootenays i can drink and there are a few turkeys here.8-)

Husky7mm
04-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Anyone with turkey experience:What is the best way to butcher a turkey? Should calling be done before sunrise or after the turkeys have left there roost?

mark
04-01-2007, 09:42 AM
I just pulled the guts out the bottom, and skinedem out! They are horny so call all day long, but morn seems to be best!

Chuck
04-01-2007, 10:25 AM
From what I know Arc & Curliss are bang on, but nobody mentioned to use decoys. I think that decoys can be very helpful and especially regards turkeys, keeps Tom focused and determined, ups your odds and downs your time waiting.

kokkopheasant
04-08-2007, 10:51 AM
hay all of you crazy turkey hunter's we should form some sort of a club.
This is my first year for turkey huunting. I been watching lots of programs on tv and on sat..lite

JoshLedoux
04-08-2007, 11:08 AM
I nailed one myself last year and got one for a buddy too You'll see our smiling faces in the regs, very last page

GrizGuy92
04-08-2007, 01:18 PM
On the drive to Vernon last week I spotted about 4 or 5 turks in a feild out side of Williams Lake there.

MIbuckhunter
04-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Should calling be done before sunrise or after the turkeys have left there roost?

Don't call much, if any, before they leave the roost. If you find a good spot close enough to the roost tree, then you will hear them fly down and they will be ready to be talked to. Chances are they will be gobbling while in the trees, and you can locate them without calling. They might be weirded out if they hear you calling before any of the other turkeys have flown down. If you really want to hear some gobbles early on, try a locator call like an owl hooter or crow call.

I've noticed that gobblers will usually shut up after about 10:00 A.M., when they are most likely to be looking for a mate. Later in the day they will probably be henned up, so get out and call early on, after that it takes some real effort to find them.

derek p
04-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Well, I was all prepared to head out for turkeys when work called and asked for a small favor. Maybe I could postpone the trip until the 20th?

So, no hunting for me. Hard to argue with the boss when I have already booked 6 weeks off in october and november.

Good luck to anyone who made it out.

Derek

Elkhound
04-14-2007, 01:27 PM
So, no hunting for me. Hard to argue with the boss when I have already booked 6 weeks off in october and november.

Derek

When you say "Boss" are we talking about work or home:lol:

TOP_PREDATOR
04-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I use full and remington super full turkey choke with 3 shot.

Turkeys are not not classed as game birds here,they are a just a pests and its not hard to shoot dozens.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/pettley/ducks06june017.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/pettley/DSC00010.jpg

derek p
04-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Nope, its definetly the boss at work. I give the "other boss" the gears all the time, but the truth is she's awesome. Since meeting her, she has completed CORE shot her first deer and never complains about hunting, just don't ask me to go for beers without her.:lol:

I should know mid week if next weekend is doable, workwise. Crossing my fingers.

Derek