PDA

View Full Version : Plan my 2015 Combo hunt

nedarb2
01-07-2015, 12:21 PM
so i figure why not go ahead and start planning this years hunt!

Last year i did tumbler ridge and Pink Mtn area. It was more-less unplanned and i had to go when i could get the time off which ended up being the very end of October and beginning of November (too late). First time being that far north.

This year, i want to go further.
Where is the best place to go, and the best time to be there, for
1. Moose
2. Sheep
3. Any other 4 legged animal. would like to focus on number 1, then move down the list if and when successful. I have 2.5 weeks to be away (from Vancouver island, call it 2 weeks hunting in any one spot).

I was thinking the Northern Rockies - toad river, liard river, somewhere up in that neck of the woods.

I would like to get this figured out now so i can buy supplies and save for gas/book time off now.

I have a 4x4 truck, ATV, 14' alum boat with prop drive outboard

Alfonz
01-07-2015, 07:00 PM
I think I would consider the west side (Skeena) more lakes to moose hunt from with a prop boat and some reasonable places to use an ATV to get you closer to the sheep hills. As for time I would start your 2.5 weeks about Sept 7th that way you stand a good chance of not getting totally snowed out for sheep and if your sheep hunt fails after 10 days you should be hitting it right for the start of the moose rut. Also in some areas in the west region you have a reasonable chance at a caribou.