PDA

View Full Version : Recall Idea - Is it worth a try?

nelsonob1
01-06-2015, 09:29 PM
My apologies in advance for my poor comprehension of the subject but in considering the allocation question, in particular with respect to making the matter more urgent and public, I was wondering whether attempting to Recall a specific Liberal MLA in a riding that has a high resident hunter population would be strategic. I have included a link below to an informational website on the process involved.

The 40% threshold is a demanding number but the process itself can be just as damaging to the MLA even if that threshold is not met. Ministers or MLA's in jurisdictions that only hold a marginal seat are particularly prone, so combining a high hunter population with a marginal seat would be a more productive strategy.

Maybe the idea is too complicated to try but I thought I would throw it out there. It may have the positive affect of keeping the issue in the forefront of the press and create a level and type of pressure amongst government that otherwise may not come about until the next election.

http://www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/referenda-recall-initiative/recall/

Wentrot
01-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Hmmm very intriguing.... cough Mike morris cough

Everett
01-06-2015, 09:34 PM
You would have to hit either Bill Bennet our one of the Northern MLA's there the only riding with enough hunters to scare the government

one-shot-wonder
01-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Interesting idea for sure..... You are not alone on this. This summer there was lots of discussion during the teachers job action and way Liberals have carried the energy file.

Have a read of this:
http://www.insightswest.com/news/confidence-on-issues-eroding-for-british-columbia-government/

40incher
01-06-2015, 10:03 PM
How about Johnny Rustad, Liberal MLA from Vanderhoof (Burns Lake/Bulkley/Nechako riding)? He was supported ($$$) by the GOABC guides as I remember.

I believe that riding is the same one that Dan Burns, the provincial Conservative leader, was a candidate in last election. Perhaps that would be a good option depending on the lean of the Conservatives?

Let's think about that one ... or a Prince George/Ft. St. John-Area Liberal MLA (two or three of them still surviving I think).

Time to hold them accountable any way we can and raise the profile of the issue!!!

.264winmag
01-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Yessssss!!! I won't pretend like I understand politics cause I don't, but I get the gist of this idea and it's a brilliant way to stir the pot and get our voice heard?

rogerb
01-06-2015, 11:58 PM
if all else fails & as a last resort rather than recall, I would think a citizen's initiative might be a more effective way to go. a referendum would be another possibility but I believe the gov't basically has control of whether a provincial referendum can go ahead or not. an initiative on the other hand is less subject to gov't interference & control.

in this case, the wording of the initiative might be something along the lines of should non-resident trophy hunting be capped at a certain percentage or at the extreme end, even be eliminated altogether. even if the initiative didn't succeed in meeting the threshold of support necessary for it to be considered by the gov't, the media buzz & province-wide conversation it would start would surely send a seismic shock wave throughout the outfitting industry.

it would be so much easier if the gov't just acknowledged there were some serious flaws/miscalculations in the Dec announcement & sent this file back to the negotiating table for a rework. surely there's room for a workable compromise somewhere in this mess. the gov't needs to put its best people on it, call the parties involved back in, lock the door & don't let them out till there's a deal reached & agreed to in writing by all sides. I sincerely hope this is exactly what is going on behind the scenes but I'm not hopeful....

Whonnock Boy
01-07-2015, 12:11 AM
Starting a recall would be interesting. Pick any of them that there would be a chance to succeed. If it works, imagine the ensuing storm? :twisted::cool: First order of business would be to hit every school in the riding. That would give it a good jump start! lol

kawdy
01-07-2015, 02:38 AM
This is another great idea. Regardless of whether it is achievable or not. Any tool we have to bring this into the general publics living room is worth exploring. A slow news night and who knows, the story may be aired. I would run with this if I had the time. I have been noticeably absent on this forum in the last few days as Kayjayess and I are working feverishly on many other projects and I quite frankly don't have the time. Would somebody care to take ownership of this and start the ball rolling. I believe the message here would be just as important as the results.
Kawdy

Foxton Gundogs
01-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Bennett would be the obvious choice as apparently it "Don't mean $hit" to him

Ry151
01-07-2015, 07:26 AM
Bennett would be the obvious choice as apparently it "Don't mean $hit" to him
I would have to agree