PDA

View Full Version : Shot size and Choke combination

kc19
01-05-2015, 02:24 PM
im just getting into the water fowler scene (mainly ducks for now) and i just have a few questions when it comes to shot sizes and chokes.

when it comes to mallards i've read that a lot of ppl are using #2's or even #4's (preference from what it seems).

when it comes to the shot size/choke combination, what are the do's and dont's with steel shots? i currently have a SUPER FULL and MOD choke for my 870 and i because ive read not to shoot certain shots out of these chokes.

and are BB's a waste for mallards?

thanks.

edit: sorry i meant to say it was a SUPER FULL

Cdn-Redneck
01-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Number 2 with mod choke will work great. Full is not for steel shot.

Foxton Gundogs
01-05-2015, 02:34 PM
ANY duck- #3s with your Mod. choke is all you need We have killed one or 2 with that combination. I have shot ducks with BBs when they have come in to the goose spread. It doesn't do terrible damage but way more than you need for them.

kc19
01-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Number 2 with mod choke will work great. Full is not for steel shot.

thanks, i appreciate the info. i did fail to mention that it was a super full choke (remington) that does state "steel or lead" on the choke. just thought i'd make sure and ask before i start to ruin my gear.

Foxton Gundogs
01-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Full/Extra Full can damage your gun with steel Modifies or more open is the way to go.

field marshal
01-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Full/Extra Full can damage your gun with steel Modifies or more open is the way to go.

Somebody tell my model `12 20 and 12 gauges ??????????? ----Cheers Field Marshal.

fowl language
01-05-2015, 05:41 PM
tony, keep in mind that the model 12 has way more steel in the barrel then most of the new guns, we used to shoot cut shells through a model 12 with no problem... I have seen 3 Remington 1100s that have blown up with larger steel shot in a full choke barrel...dale

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Those "full choke" 1100's are a Trap gun, they do seem to be choked quite tightly. Additionally, many older versions have extremely high round counts. Of course, "blow up" in this instance simply means bulged, split or otherwise mashed up a touch. Frequently it is possible to have a Gunsmith cut such a barrel down, tidy it up and reinstall a bead making for a very nice, yet slightly shorter, cylinder bore barrel.

Anyone with a full choke could simply use a shell along the lines of of Hevi - Shot Classic Doubles or Kent TungstenMatrix to satisfy the so rudely imposed waterfowl shot type requirements. Such shells are a fine choice when available/affordable and are a much better choice than the low qaulity iron shot marketed and sold as so called "steel". These shells are not selling cheap; however, far from it. I have actually found out that some of the better iron shot is just fine for close in birdkills as dead is dead, after all. Great through your more open barrels as long as ranges are on the closer side (all "steel" shot lacks density compared to lead and is made to look egregiously light by tungsten based projectiles).

FirePower
01-05-2015, 07:18 PM
I would be very surprised if you didn't find at least some goose egging Mr. Marshal, I to have seen guns goose egged or split from steel through full choke Mr. Language, some have included a Remington 1100 field grade, Browning A5 and an Ithicagun. The worst by far was the A5 which split badly. There is no need for expensive heavy shot alternitives Lord Walsingham, as you say steel does just fine even at longer ranges with the correct choke. From what the OP asked if he uses his 870 with the modified choke and BB through #4 steel he will be right as rain for geese and ducks at senseable ranges.

okas
10-30-2015, 05:53 AM
when steel came out my buddy and i just opened our old 870s up with a brake cy. hone ... ha ha

blacklab
10-30-2015, 06:51 AM
Doesn't anybody pattern their guns anymore? It used to be standard practice to determine what type and or shot size works in you gun.

guntech
10-30-2015, 08:55 AM
I don't think many bother to actually pattern their shotguns today. It was common in the 70's.

SHOTGUN BARREL ALTERATIONS FOR STEEL SHOT

Forcing Cone Alteration:

Factory shotgun barrels usually have a fairly short and abrupt forcing cone. The forcing cone is the tapered area just ahead of the chamber where the shell is contained. Altering the forcing cone, so it is one and one half or two inches in length, reduces recoil and improves the pattern density. Trap shooters and skeet shooters have been doing this for many years. It is a good benefit to the steel shot user as well.

Choke Alteration:
Choke designation from the tightest to the most open are:
Extra Full, Full, Improved Modified, Modified, Skeet II, Improved Cylinder, Skeet I, and Cylinder Bore.

Steel shot does not require the constriction that lead shot needs, to produce good patterns. In fact too much constriction, causes poor, erratic patterns, and in some cases, permanently damages the barrel. I have seen barrels bulged at the choke, I have seen barrels where the choke split right open, from using steel shot.

For steel shot, with thin barrels, chokes should be altered to at least Skeet II. Often, over & under, and side-by-side shotguns, are best altered to Skeet I and Skeet II chokes. Heavier barrels can be left at Modified choke but may see an improvement in the pattern if opened slightly.

wideopenthrottle
10-30-2015, 09:28 AM
one thing not mentioned is the difference between early season and late season with respect to feather density..back in the lead shot days we would start the season shooting 2 3/4" #6 then finish the season with #4 shot...when geese were coming it was #2 3inch mags all the way...this was on lake of the woods Ontario where there is actually a cold winter though

Dutch
10-31-2015, 08:10 PM
I have posted somewhere on this site about patterning yes it makes a difference partner and I shoot the same guns with aftermarket chokes, up to 40% difference with the same shells have done it with most of my hunting guns now including my 20g. which has a choke labelled MOD. and it is a straight cylinder no choke at all ,lucky I checked thanks browning...

bandit
11-01-2015, 07:03 PM
#3 or #4 for early season and smaller ducks. When those big northern mallards come in I have found even #2 can struggle to drop them with one shot - the thicker feathers, fat and bigger bodies means they can soak up a lot more than those local mallards.

walks with deer
11-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Improved modified with bbs =dead birds

Foxton Gundogs
11-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Been using 3s/Mod or IM for years it kills Lards dead but then what do I know