PDA

View Full Version : Ticks and transporting

Tommybuckles
01-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Hope this question isn't ridiculous but I recently met someone with Lyme disease and it got me thinking a lot about ticks. My hunting vehicle is an SUV and if I am to harvest a deer it will be placed in the back trunk area. In some cases I won't be able to hang and skin it in a camp, but instead just field dress it and transport it with the hide on. The vehicle is my main form of transportation and hauls two small kids to school daily. My big fear is one of those things decides to bury itself in one of the kids. Wondering the chances of them remaining in the truck? And what precautions others take as I know many guys here hunt with SUV's?

Thanks guys

Fella
01-04-2015, 09:26 PM
I was under the impression that ticks aren't a big problem in the fall, especially once the weather cools down.

Wentrot
01-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Wrap the critter in a tarp for the ride home and I am sure you will be fine.

Brew
01-04-2015, 09:47 PM
I've only had tick problems in the spring and early summer. You'll be ok I think

Big Lew
01-04-2015, 09:59 PM
I don't want to unnecessarily alarm you, but ticks can remain in a semi-dormant state
for a long time. They will stay on the hide as long as there is some warmth, but will
leave if the carcass becomes stone cold. I transported a large buck with it's hide intact
from the central cariboo late one fall and hung it in a storage room in Mission, Fraser
Valley. The next morning when I checked on it, there were about 3 dozen ticks on the
floor below it. Having related that though, as long as there's heat in the hide, I've not
noticed any ticks leaving the carcass even to transfer onto me when carrying a deer
with it's hide still on it.

lovemywinchester
01-04-2015, 10:18 PM
I hate ticks. I've had them in my house. In my truck. On the back of my neck at the computer. Mostly spring time after shed hunting. If you have a deer in your SUV you are at risk anytime of year I would say. Here is a tick on a small mulie I found last spring. Enjoy.

WARNING. Swearing in vid.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/th_bigtick_zpsf6e313e5.mp4 (http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/bigtick_zpsf6e313e5.mp4)

Tommybuckles
01-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Ok. Thanks guys. I think I'll play it safe and look into getting a roof basket or hitch mounted carrier and then just find a way to make sure it stays dry and covered.

jikjak
01-05-2015, 04:08 PM
i hunt with an SUV as well and i use a roof rack to haul my game and i also have a hitch mounted carrier if more space is needed. the weather was still warm in october and i noticed a lot of ticks when harvesting deer. there were so many that we just skinned and bagged them on the spot.

caddisguy
01-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Ticks are one of my least favorite critters. I caught one going into my arm while I was in the Jeep last spring in Region 2 during bear season. Glad I wasn't on the highway at the time. Didn't even have an animal in the car.

I caught another one crawling on me in October in Region 3 but it did not get a chance to dig in.

I've been wondering about lyme because both of my knees started crapping out late summer 2013. Some days I'm fine, other days I can hardly get down on the can. My doctor tested me for rheumatoid arthritis and lupus and the tests came back negative. Didn't think lyme was that common (perhaps blissfully ignorant) but will check into it.

LupieHunter
01-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Ticks are one of my least favorite critters. I caught one going into my arm while I was in the Jeep last spring in Region 2 during bear season. Glad I wasn't on the highway at the time. Didn't even have an animal in the car.

I caught another one crawling on me in October in Region 3 but it did not get a chance to dig in.

I've been wondering about lyme because both of my knees started crapping out late summer 2013. Some days I'm fine, other days I can hardly get down on the can. My doctor tested me for rheumatoid arthritis and lupus and the tests came back negative. Didn't think lyme was that common (perhaps blissfully ignorant) but will check into it.

I have lupus and it and Lyme are very hard to diagnose. They both have the same or similar symptoms to each other and a lot of other diseases.

Rubicon500
01-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Definatly a issue in the okangan every deer I have shot has been COVERD in them , usually all around the head , ears etc gross buggers. Have tried almost everything out there besides peremethrin , nothing has helped to keep them off me. Going to try peremethrin this spring and see how it work. Makes me want to puke when I literally pick 20-150 of the ****ers off in a day. I wouldn't be putting a tick coverd deer in the my cab of a vehicle , those pricks seem to rear the ugly head at the worse time.

Big Lew
01-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Every deer I've shot in the Okanagan, especially the ones that seem to live down low between Vernon and Kelowna, have been crawling in ticks. Consequently, without exception, I gut, skin, and sack them right
where they're killed, leaving only the testicles (which I clear of ticks) before ever putting them in my truck.
I don't keep the head gear, so don't have to worry about transporting ticks on them.

303savage
01-05-2015, 10:37 PM
I don't keep the head gear, so don't have to worry about transporting ticks on them

How does that work in our 4 or more point season?

avadad
01-05-2015, 11:54 PM
Learn how to do the gutless method and leave the tick infested hide for the crows…

Big Lew
01-06-2015, 08:37 AM
How does that work in our 4 or more point season?
I normally bow hunt during the early season.

nature girl
01-06-2015, 05:59 PM
If your going to put a deer or bear or whaterver you shoot in the back of your suv put a white shower curtain down first then you'll see the ticks if the animal had any.