PDA

View Full Version : Carp in elk lake

ratherbefishin
01-04-2015, 09:20 PM
I stumbled across a u tube of carp fishing in Elk Lake,Victoria.Does anybody here fish carp?I'm curious-Why,when and how?does anybody eat them? With trout bass and salmon in abundance why eat carp?I know they are a popular target for bow fishing,but never seen anybody here do it. What time of year?

huntcoop
01-04-2015, 09:35 PM
My understanding is that they are invasive species that somebody has introduced to the lake. I believe they are being targeted to try and rid the waters of them.

f350ps
01-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Asians love Carp, along with everything else! :) K

Steelpulse
01-05-2015, 01:39 AM
I love carp fishing an awesome fish all around, first of all it is the most eaten fish in the world, it does taste good and it's easy to cook, we have smoked it and it's great, but you can cook it pretty much any other way.

fishing them is so much fun with a rod or a bow, they are very smart and can provide some serious fighting ability, pound for pound one of the toughest fighters, find some big ones 30" and bigger

fly fishing for them with aquatic insect flies, sight fishing for them is epic, cast and soak carp baits, tenkara for small ones to 2lbs is lots of fun

for bow fishing the bright sunny calm days are the best while they feed you see the ripples they make and you get close and wait until the surface and let it rip, use a sling bow, make one for 50 bucks or just use a bow and buy a spool attachment for it

ratherbefishin
01-05-2015, 07:35 AM
Yes,carp are an invasive species in Elk lake as are perch and bullfrogs and that if for no other reason it's a good idea to get rid of them.I know carp can be taken in the spring,but do they come into shallow water to feed in the winter?

steel_ram
01-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Island Outfitters has a bit of a ongoing derby for them. Most end up fertilizer. From what I've seen and read, a hunk of bait sitting on the bottom early in a morning near the beaches is the ticket. Haven't heard of anyone having any luck in the cooler months.

Steelpulse
01-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Carp are very smart, one of the smartest fish there is so small hook, small presentation, lighter leader will work, think of them less as a trash fish and more of a great sporting Fish and people need to get the idea that trout are the ultimate fish and it would be blasphemous to think of fishing for anything else around here haha

f350ps
01-05-2015, 11:44 PM
Carp are very smart, one of the smartest fish there is so small hook, small presentation, lighter leader will work, think of them less as a trash fish and more of a great sporting Fish and people need to get the idea that trout are the ultimate fish and it would be blasphemous to think of fishing for anything else around here haha
The Asians using bent nails and gummy worms in the sloughs of Ladner must be quite the Carp whisperers then! Hahahaha....... :) K

steel_ram
01-06-2015, 12:24 PM
They can certainly spot a fake cheese ball when they see it.

ratherbefishin
01-07-2015, 07:40 AM
So,do carp bite in the winter here in elk lake?I was thinking it might not be a bad way to spend some time in the off season,toss out a line,sit in a lawn chair with a thermos of hot coffee

Jager
01-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Just a heads up- I believe bow fishing on the island is illegal the last time I checked. Maybe they will change that in the future.

ratherbefishin
01-07-2015, 11:02 AM
There's a U tube clip on bow fishing for carp on Shushwap lake,but if it was legal or not I don't know

steel_ram
01-07-2015, 12:42 PM
So,do carp bite in the winter here in elk lake?I was thinking it might not be a bad way to spend some time in the off season,toss out a line,sit in a lawn chair with a thermos of hot coffee

Your more likely to hook into a 20" + trout. I pretty much see people along the East and North shore's with a few trout every time I run that trail. There's a fellow on another board that slays carp in the summer but doesn't post much this time of year.

Pretty sure bow fishing in Elk/Beaver Lks. is illegal by provincial or municipal laws. Not a lot of really shallow area's any ways.

Steelpulse
01-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Bow fishing in shushwap is legal and super fun

Tuffcity
01-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Jager is correct: No spear/bow fishing in Region 1.

RC

ajr5406
01-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Carp - the rednecks Bonefish.

islander7mm
01-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Yes there are carp in Elk lake and bow fishing is illegal in region 1.

ratherbefishin
01-08-2015, 06:23 PM
So....who fishes them in Elk Lake,how,when and where,and do you eat them?

hardnocks
01-08-2015, 06:48 PM
fly fishing for carp on shuswap with a minnow pattern . I don`t but have a friend who do`s hellov a fight

BRvalley
01-09-2015, 09:42 AM
in Europe they are as highly regarded as trout, carp fishing can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be, much like fly fishing

I've deliberately targeted them through the ice in ON, but we chummed with a bag of corn for them, not sure what the regs say for chumming in BC waters

they are invasive species, and like most invasive species fairly tough, once they establish a population they are there for the long run

most consider them an ugly fish, and they get a certain stigma attached to them as they are popular with ethnic groups I guess...

but if you look past that, a good gamefish, grow to impressive sizes, and fight hard....but where they don't belong, catch and kill, bury them in gardens

IslandWanderer
06-25-2017, 05:58 PM
I'm headed to Eagle Beach (Elk Lake) with my son tonight to try to get one of these. They were surfacing all around our canoe last night.

huntcoop
06-25-2017, 09:21 PM
Well, how'd it go?