PDA

View Full Version : Butchering your own meat vs professionals

ajr5406
01-04-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm looking at doing a butchery course so I can process my own meat in a safe and effective way. How many of you guys do it yourself vs taking your deer (or whatever) to a game butcher?

is there any reason that I shouldn't consider butchering the animal myself, aside from logistics of room in the kitchen and freezer space? Im thinking about just deer at this point...

thanks!

Wentrot
01-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Do it yourself. My hunting partner and I did all our own last year. Rewarding, easy and saves money. I watched some videos and went from there. Never lookin back.

1980skywalker
01-04-2015, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't do it any other way, it teaches you to respect and take care of your animal more after the kill and you will have added pride and appreciation for the fruits of your labour.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Definitely do it yourself. I spend more time than any butcher ever would and it shows in the end result. It would not be cost effective to be as fussy as I am.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Elk_meat_010.jpg

tinhorse
01-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Just get someone over who has done it before and get them to show you a few cuts. Easy to do and like all others have said, way more rewarding and you get the knowledge that you are eating what you shot!

Whonnock Boy
01-04-2015, 08:42 PM
I have been butchering my own for years. You won't be disappointed. Everything you need to know is on this video. Deer, moose, elk, bison, all the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw

BearStump
01-04-2015, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't do it any other way, it teaches you to respect and take care of your animal more after the kill and you will have added pride and appreciation for the fruits of your labour.

Do it yourself. My hunting partner and I did all our own last year. Rewarding, easy and saves money. I watched some videos and went from there. Never lookin back

yes, agreed on both posts. I find that as good a job as any butcher does on my game meat, there's just no way that they can make money doing it as meticulously as I do it myself. A butcher cant make money if he spends 3 hrs doing one deer. But I do, and the cuts that I get are great because of it.

Blockcaver
01-04-2015, 08:43 PM
We enjoy butchering a game animal. We take great care of the meat and enjoy eating it. Any trimming that is not up to snuff for us gets ground for the dog with the tallow going out to the birds. An elk is a big job but deer are reasonable. In fact I just butchered my AZ archery Coues buck I got on Dec 30 today with a it of help from several hunting friends.

Daybreak
01-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Tastes so much better when you do it yourself...seriously. For me it's just the last step of the process and I take great pride in it.

todbartell
01-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Butcher our own. Not very cost effective to have it done for you, and not as rewarding. From making our own ammo to cut & wrap, we like to do it ourselves

one-shot-wonder
01-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Courses aren't necessary, as mentioned find somebody in your hunting community that has done it before. Read books/ videos and last but most importantly just do it! you will become quicker and more efficient with each animal.

I started out by learning from my father and his butcher friend. Start out by buying a large commercial roll of wrapping paper if you don't have the money to purchase a vaccum sealer at the beginning. We used to make our own sausage also, but unfortunately aren't afforded the time anymore. I freeze the trim and take into a professional butcher in the offseason.

Cutting yourself builds an awareness to your field dressing skills as well hanging conditions and of course shot placement. Proper meat preparation begins when the trigger is being pulled......

Big Lew
01-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Definitely do it yourself. I spend more time than any butcher ever would and it shows in the end result. It would not be cost effective to be as fussy as I am.

x2! Very few butchers will, or can afford to take the extra time to make sure everything is
super clean and trimmed to your satisfaction. There's nothing more embarrassing as serving
quests, especially those a bit nervous about wild meat, a slice of venison with dirt, hair, bone
fragments, or blood clots.

Alfonz
01-04-2015, 09:23 PM
I think it is worth the extra time to get the kids involved too. We had a ball cutting up our moose and making some sausage. The kids really got into it! They really like running the grinder!
I kind of taught my self and things were a little rough to start but are better now. I should have watched some more videos.

Steeleco
01-04-2015, 09:53 PM
I'm looking at doing a butchery course so I can process my own meat in a safe and effective way. How many of you guys do it yourself vs taking your deer (or whatever) to a game butcher?

is there any reason that I shouldn't consider butchering the animal myself, aside from logistics of room in the kitchen and freezer space? Im thinking about just deer at this point...

thanks!

I'd be willing to show you my set up. It would be better with something to cut. It's not nearly as difficult as one would first think. As a friend of mine said long ago, "what's the worst thing that could happen? You'll have lots of burger"

My suggestion to add to the good info already posted. Get a Costco roll of saran wrap and a good knife. The rest is just time and effort.

Big Lew
01-04-2015, 10:07 PM
It's good if you're up for and interested in taking a course, but it really isn't
necessary. I'm sure there are several 'on line' sites that will show you the
basics. How to cut various roasts, steaks, etc. and importantly, how to cut
them so you're carving them cross-grain rather than with the grain.

Rob Chipman
01-04-2015, 10:25 PM
My buddy decided we'd butcher our moose last year. I was game, but when it was all done I was convinced that its the way to go. You need the time, of course (took a bear to the game cutter this year, but I had to be at work) and a place to do it, but I'm going to try to do it all the time. Next step is getting a good grinder and sausage set up. Mosse is big extra hands are nice, but a deer would be easy.

Let us know how the course is.

srupp
01-04-2015, 11:06 PM
Hmmm am offerring you hands on demo if you want...only issue Im in williams lake...going to be doing German farm sausages..both breakfast with synthetic casings and dinner with hog casings in next 2 weeks.
Waiting for snow in Dawson for leh elk hunt..then with some luck do up the elk...
Cheers
Steven

leftfield
01-04-2015, 11:08 PM
I wonder if it would be good to practice on a 150lb-200lb pig. Could practice smoking and curing as well

mastercaster
01-04-2015, 11:15 PM
The first time or two I did it out of neccesity because the butchers were really busy and any that weren't charged an arm and a leg to do it. I watched a ton of you tubes on the topic and although I gave new meaning to the word "butcher" I got it done. I've done several deer since and with each one you get a little faster, more efficien,t and start to recognized the different compartmental shapes of the muscles on the animal.

Having untra sharp knives is key and it sure doesn't hurt to have a vacuum sealer for the cut meat. We also bought a grinder to make our own ground burger. I believe this is a bonus in that you really never know who's meat you're getting when the butcher does. If you think about it,,,,most butchers probably make their ground meat at one time for everybody who brought animal in at the same time. I can't see them separating up everyone's trim aside in order to do it, can you?

Sop if you're like me and take real special care of your kill by cooling it down quickly, keeping it clean, etc. you definitely don't want your meat mixed in with others who may not do as good a job as you do. Besides I like my ground super lean so I don't add any additional fat to mine and i like to remove all the silver skin. For the first time this year we also used the attatchments on the grinder to make our own sausage so that's also a nice option.

It is a learning experience and although it may take you from the couch and the TV for a couple of hours you do save a quite a bit of money. I usually do it over a couple of nights,,,,or more, like this year because both my wife and I got a deer on the same weekend.

emerson
01-04-2015, 11:18 PM
I cut up several bears for practice. It is very expensive to pay a butcher unless you make a crapload of money for your time. Yes, it takes you longer, especially if you have no help, no instruction and don't watch much online (my nickname is "hard way"), but you learn fast and it isn't rocket surgery:D

jeff341
01-04-2015, 11:29 PM
X2 on the sharp knife..... Makes all the difference with any butchery.

Put your twine in a container with a hole in the lid and pull string out as you tie roasts. Keeps your roll clean and in place...

avadad
01-04-2015, 11:59 PM
x2 on the sharp knife. I use a Havalon. It uses surgical blades and you will not find sharper knife. It makes butchering much easier. The last deer I did I cut off the shanks and have made some great shank stew (bone-in). Its a time saver and is delicious.

ajr5406
01-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Thank you all for the feedback! Looking forward to learning a new skill... Cant really see the point of getting into this hunting game and harvesting an animal to feed my family, only to hand it over to a butcher to do the rest... Like many people mentioned, im pretty fussy with meat, so I think doing it myself would be a better option. Nothing better than learning new skills...

Thanks again!

ajr5406
01-05-2015, 01:55 PM
I have been butchering my own for years. You won't be disappointed. Everything you need to know is on this video. Deer, moose, elk, bison, all the same.

Wow - that guy is a machine!!!

adriaticum
01-05-2015, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't bother with the course, although you can't go wrong with learning something new.
Get a large peace of meat from your local butcher (pork or beef) and have at it.
If you've never butchered anything you could even start with a chicken or a turkey. Buy whole and break it down.
Get a good knife and a meat hook.

two-feet
01-05-2015, 02:26 PM
As mentioned, it is not rocket science. Especially if you are just boning it out.
Take the $ you would save at the butcher and buy a grinder. Cabellas grinders are great. They come with the sausage making riggin so then you are all set up.
This spring when I shot my bear it was 4 hours from pulling the trigger to meat bagged in the freezer. I was not cutting for roasts but for burger, sausage and jarred meat.
A good way to go with a bigger animal is do everything yourself but take the back of the animal to a butcher to get pro cut T-bones and sirloin steaks.
I find the whole process very enjoyable and I like my young children seeing our meat as a thing that was alive in the bush hours ago, and not just a package picked up at safeway.

lovemywinchester
01-05-2015, 03:00 PM
If you have the space it's great to do it yourself but there is no shame in going to a butcher. At 80c per lb it's well worth the cost. Drop off your deer and pick it up a week later wrapped and frozen. Hung at a stable temp and no mess. A $115 bill for a deer is no brainer for the space and time deficient working man.

I wonder if it would be good to practice on a 150lb-200lb pig. Could practice smoking and curing as well

We butchered a 1/2 pig last year in my buddy's house. It looked like a murder scene by the time we were done. 3 guys(one butcher, two drunks),3 hours and 40 beers later we were done. The tile floor from the kitchen to the bathroom was a trail of fat and blood. The bathroom was red from the light switch to the taps to the toilet. The kitchen was wall to wall gore. It was a good experience but what a mess. The wife was not impressed, lucky she is a calm, nice lady!! If your better half has a temper, do it somewhere else. I would recommend starting with a deer. Way less fat!!

Wentrot
01-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Lovemywinchester, neither me or my buddy either have big kitchens. It really doesn't require much space. We keep it all in a large cooler and bring it in a quarter at a time. No mess either other than the table/counter top.

Not hatin on guys who bring their meat to a butcher but want to make it clear that the process is not at all messy.

lovemywinchester
01-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Lovemywinchester, neither me or my buddy either have big kitchens. It really doesn't require much space. We keep it all in a large cooler and bring it in a quarter at a time. No mess either other than the table/counter top.

Not hatin on guys who bring their meat to a butcher but want to make it clear that the process is not at all messy.

I agree with you for sure. I'm not really trying to discourage anyone trying it. Most of my huntinging buddies do it themselves as well. I'm finding these days that after the kill and high fives and photos are over, the rest of the job sucks, lol.

ajr5406
01-05-2015, 03:27 PM
I have a separate garage off the back of my house that is nice and cold this time of year. I would probably just hang the deer from the rafters for a day or two and then butcher it in the garage on a portable trestle table...

Speaking of hanging deer - do you guys bother? if so, how long should you hang a deer before its butchered? Obviously it needs to be less that 5 degrees for it to be safe? Ive heard views from "there is no need to hang deer" to "its absolutely necessary to hang a deer"...

Eastbranch
01-05-2015, 05:07 PM
DIY for sure. Two knives is best. One for cutting and deboning and a thin bladed filet type knife for cutting steaks. Since being in the NWT (no butchers here!) I've done 4-5 caribou and a couple of moose myself (never cut my own meat before, ever, prior to the first caribou). Moose take two days and I can knock out a caribou in an afternoon if I'm not too fussy. I'm pretty fussy and slow though. A caribou is usually a whole day/better part of a rum bottle event. If you're mostly grinding, it goes faster. Peel the individual muscle sections apart as a starter and once you figure out how the muscles lie you can start hacking them out in groups for bigger roasts or whatever. The bottom hunk I sliced for the pic is my rouladen cut...moose. I don't hang anything and my caribou have been the best and most tender meat I've ever eaten. But I think I should have hung my moose for a couple more days this year (it sat two days at 3*C because I couldn't get time off). It was a bit tough for being a smaller bull. The big caribou bull I just killed before christmas hung for 12hrs before I started cutting and it's melt in your mouth tender.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10599144_557617853470_9021592369273328808_n.jpg?oh =44bda9507ffd82430d1821b19908286b&oe=55295E6E&__gda__=1430070787_a1223796a53dafe96984a3b2761876a e

srupp
01-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Deer dont need aging, get a good deboning knife 6 1/2 inch flexible blade..Viictoriux? Or Global...ditch the Havalon for butchering..if you have any qudstions..pm me I will phone.
Cheers
Steven

Steeleco
01-05-2015, 05:30 PM
My game sits in the cooler for no other reason than having the time to deal with it.

swampthing
01-05-2015, 07:44 PM
I love being in the mountains and far from the road. This means I have to carry dead things off the mountain on my back. I read an article in a huntin mag about "deboning". First time I tried it it looked like a scene from Vietnam. Blood n gore. Once home, I looked at all those pieces of meat and figured finishing it up for the table wouldn't be too hard. I made some pretty creative cuts but was happy with myself. Years later I am considerably better at it and enjoy choice, perfectly clean cuts of meat that I know came from my animal. Money that was spent on a butcher is now applied to new huntin gear.

winchester284
01-05-2015, 08:57 PM
A great way to butcher wild meat is by separating the muscle groups first. This allows you to trim off the silver skin. After that you just cut the meat into serving sized pieces. I generally cut everything into large meal sized pieces. After taking it out of the freezer and defrosting it I decide if it will be a roast, steak or whatever. All the trimmings become either burger or stew meat.

nap
01-05-2015, 09:23 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Elk_meat_010.jpg

Nice Kitty and your fixings look good tooo!!!!

nap
01-05-2015, 09:32 PM
I love being in the mountains and far from the road. This means I have to carry dead things off the mountain on my back. I read an article in a huntin mag about "deboning". First time I tried it it looked like a scene from Vietnam. Blood n gore. Once home, I looked at all those pieces of meat and figured finishing it up for the table wouldn't be too hard. I made some pretty creative cuts but was happy with myself. Years later I am considerably better at it and enjoy choice, perfectly clean cuts of meat that I know came from my animal. Money that was spent on a butcher is now applied to new huntin gear.

This guy is second to none in the mountians, lots on here can vouche for that. Always take his advise wisely, it will always pay off!!

HarryToolips
01-05-2015, 09:34 PM
For me, it's very rewarding doing it yourself I find..

moosinaround
01-05-2015, 09:38 PM
This guy is second to none in the mountians, lots on here can vouche for that. Always take his advise wisely, it will always pay off!!
Sound advise Nap, Happy New Year by the way! Hope all is well! Moosin

nap
01-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Sound advise Nap, Happy New Year by the way! Hope all is well! Moosin

All is well Mike, Happy New year to you and the family, It is about time you and I cut up an animal, I always want to learn more first hand from others just like to op is asking. Lets do it!!

Hunter gatherer
01-06-2015, 01:12 PM
It's not hard to do or messy. A grinder is a must as well as a sharp knife and cutting board. One thing worth mentioning is not all butchers are honest(personal experience) so the fine quality and cared for meat you drop off might not be what you get back.

skibum
01-06-2015, 01:35 PM
I did my first two deer myself this year. I prefer roasts and ground, so we are not talking about any complicated cuts here. The first deer was a bit of a learning experience, lot more ground than I would have liked, but by the second deer I had it down pretty good.

There are internet videos that help, but I found this dvd to be the most comprehensive on the subject. Does get a bit methodical after a while, and I did not really want all the cuts he was making, but once you get your hands wet, it is not really too hard to pick up.

http://www.outdooredge.com/Deer-Proc-DVD-Vol-1-p/deer-big-game-processingdvd.htm

Here is what I used to start (again I have only done two deer)

1. Wrapping paper and good tape
2. Sharp knives
3. Costco grinder ($125)
4. Old large freezer ($50) to hang until I had some time -

Of course I will pick up other "tools" each year as I get more experience cutting.

MichelD
01-06-2015, 01:40 PM
I watched my dad do it from an early age and never considered there was any other way. His was a rather inexpert technique and I've refined my cutting to my specific needs. I married a woman who'd grown up in a family that bought the odd sheep and home cut it too, so we've been home cutting for 40 years now.

We've cut up an entire elk too and a couple half-shares of elk as well.

I've had moose done commercially, mostly because on one trip, buddies and me got two moose and two deer. We cut the deer but the moose was just too much. And I hated the cuts we got. Mislabeled shitty cuts, terrible.

In 2012 we had to take a moose to Smithers because it was so warm it was going to spoil. Now that was a great experience. We helped wrap and got a reduced price and best of all, he saved all the bones and cut them for me. My wife loves the bones for soup. We got four boxes of moose cuts each out of that trip plus I got seven boxes of bones. I still have some in the freezer. Discarding the bones is a sad waste if you ask me.

ajr5406
01-06-2015, 02:15 PM
I watched my dad do it from an early age and never considered there was any other way. His was a rather inexpert technique and I've refined my cutting to my specific needs. I married a woman who'd grown up in a family that bought the odd sheep and home cut it too, so we've been home cutting for 40 years now.

We've cut up an entire elk too and a couple half-shares of elk as well.

I've had moose done commercially, mostly because on one trip, buddies and me got two moose and two deer. We cut the deer but the moose was just too much. And I hated the cuts we got. Mislabeled shitty cuts, terrible.

In 2012 we had to take a moose to Smithers because it was so warm it was going to spoil. Now that was a great experience. We helped wrap and got a reduced price and best of all, he saved all the bones and cut them for me. My wife loves the bones for soup. We got four boxes of moose cuts each out of that trip plus I got seven boxes of bones. I still have some in the freezer. Discarding the bones is a sad waste if you ask me.

Good call on the bones... I make a lot of stock (anytime I buy a fresh chicken to roast), and fresh bones are perfect - certainly not to be wasted.