PDA

View Full Version : Horseback Hunting

white moose
01-04-2015, 11:50 AM
This fall, my father and I are going on our first horseback hunt with an outfitter. This will be a fully supplied trip, unguided. Was wondering what gear you guys brought and needed? or wish you would of brought. We are allowed 60lbs each, including gun. I think i have a pretty good list, but would like to hear what people with experience have to say. We are going for elk. Thanks

01-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Done a number of them will pm you later

get ready for a great trip if ya work hard

Foxton Gundogs
01-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Imodium, Zantac, 30 packhorse miles from nowhere is no place to have gut problems(take it from an old cowboy), Robax Platinum, unless you ride lots you will discover muscles you forgot you had.

dakoda62
01-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Good boots, and good raingear, and dont forget the camera.

white moose
01-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Outfitter coming along and providing camp and food. As for boots, pair of hiking and set of muck boots. We are trailing in for two days on sept 10th. Hope the elk rut will be in full swing

bridger
01-04-2015, 02:10 PM
If you are trailing in two days think about taking a pair of comfortable boots for riding. Hiking boots with vibram lugs can be uncomfortable and difficult to get out if the strirup if you have to bail in a tight spot. Also wear loose pants when riding to prevent chafing. If you wear glasses get a sports band to go around your neck to keep them on when the inevitable branch sweeps them off your nose. I would also suggest you get a pair of nylon legging chaps from cabelas. Cheap about $30 but keeps those sharp limbs and brush away from your legs. Make sure your pants or chaps are long enough to hang below your boot tops when you are in the saddle to protect your ankles and lower legs from brush. Exposed skin is not good. If you have to lead a packhorse don't tie his lead rope around your saddle horn just hold it loosely in your hand. If it is an early hunt wear leather gloves for trailing in and out. Above all relax and enjoy! Horseback hunts are the classic hunt!

white moose
01-04-2015, 02:29 PM
We are going north with steamboat outfitters. We are riding in two days, six days hunting and then two days out. We chose the two day ride in to see some country and get into some good elk area, outfitter recommended.

dakoda62
01-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Don,t cheap out on game bags. Cheese cloth won't cut it. Buy or build good quality canvas bags. Look at 6 bags per animal.

white moose
01-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Going to look for some good game bags, this was also a tip from the outfitter. Any recommended? I also talked with tetsa, but they were all booked for this year. Everytime I think about this trip, it makes me smile. Anybody actually go with this outfit before for elk?

dakoda62
01-04-2015, 03:04 PM
We made our own bags out of 10 oz canvas. 24 X 30 with a draw string closure. As for Tetsa they are only doing 1 trip in 2015. Back to full booking for 2016. Havn't been with Steamboat, but did 2 trips with Tetsa, You will be going into some of the beautiful areas in the province, just my opinion.

M.Dean
01-04-2015, 04:58 PM
I didn't read all the posts, so sorry if someone all ready mentioned this. I know a number of guys that have being on horse back hunts, and from guys with 60 plus years of riding horses, one of the best things you can do to have a enjoyable trip is find the closest Ranch with horses and see if they have trail rides, or even a "Round Pen" where you can get a few muscles you didn't know you had in shape! There's a Ranch about a K up the road from me, "Janadana Ranch" they rent there horses out, give lessons and teach you basic horseman ship. I have no idea what it costs, but I can still remember back about 25 years ago when I got back on a horse for the first time in years, for the next 2 or 3 days I was so bloody sore I had trouble getting out of bed, never mind back on that old nag for a day of riding!!! Good luck, and above all, have a great trip with your Dad!

J-varnsy
01-04-2015, 07:14 PM
If you want some good game bags go to buckerfields and get the small feed bags, super durable, keep meat cool especially if its hot they work really well in a cold glacier fed creek. Best of all they are super cheap.

01-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Good cotton large pillow cases are terrific bags actually. Have a good slicker, good boots, camp runners, good optics or the best you can afford. Good quality light rain gear, hatchet a good one good sharpening tool or stone. More later

Whiterock
01-04-2015, 07:30 PM
A trick even experienced horse riders use is to get off and walk for a few minutes each hour,,its amazing the difference that makes. Enjoy the trip,,its an awesome experience.

Ranger95
01-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Going to look for some good game bags, this was also a tip from the outfitter. Any recommended? I also talked with tetsa, but they were all booked for this year. Everytime I think about this trip, it makes me smile. Anybody actually go with this outfit before for elk?

Spend the money, buy the right stuff and it will last you a long-long time.

click here (http://www.biggamebags.com/Home_Page.html)

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/e3e5e6e99bb60ab706ffb602fbb85ebd_zps4d335f8d.jpg

Koot
01-05-2015, 10:52 AM
as others have said make sure to get some sort of chaps or damn good rain pants. One of my coldest days ever was riding on game trails to access an area to chase elk. It had been raining all day and my pants soaked through and all the water ran down my thighs and filled my boots.We got a nice bull but i was very cold and my boots never dried out the rest of the trip. Another guy with me had fleece pants and chaps......he was warm and dry. Lesson learned for me. it is a great adventure for sure.

Koot
01-05-2015, 10:56 AM
We also used Kifaru meat bags when we boned out an animal. They worked quite well as the temps were quite cool. I was a little unsure how the meat would cool but no problem.

white moose
01-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Keep it coming. WAs going to bring my spotting scope and was wondering if I should bring a light weight tripod or try one of those monopods, that you can also use as a shooting stick. Also I have 2 rifles to choose from. 30 06 or 7mm?

J-varnsy
01-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Definitely agree with the slicker, IMO better then just having chaps as if its wet out your are much more protected in a long slicker. Obviously both are better but if you are restricted to 60 lbs I would say just a slicker, doesn't matter how much Gore-Tex rain gear you have if it is a torrential mountain downpour you do not want to be caught without a slicker riding back to camp at dark with soaked inner thighs in a saddle, lets just say I know from experience. Also agree that it would be a good idea to get familiar with some horsemanship before you head out, get out and spend some time in the saddle, learn how to tack up and rig your panniers, make sure that you have a scabbard that can accommodate your rifle, how to tie in the field, what to look for in regards to feed/water just the general do's and don'ts. P.S. a few horse cookies will go a long way with earning that respect of your new best friend.

dakoda62
01-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Spotting scope and tripod would be useful. We spent most of our time on ridges glassing the valleys and peaks. One peak we spent some time over looked easily 7-8 square miles. Are you doing the 7-50 hunt or the the 7-54?

Blair
01-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Extra gloves. A good rain-shedding hat. Get some neoprene socks from MEC. If your feet get wet and stay wet, these will keep you warm regardless.

white moose
01-05-2015, 02:10 PM
We are doing the 7 50 hunt. elk not open 7 54 after 10th of sept, I think. Saw some of your pics from tetsa, looked nice. Did you guys get any elk? Not sure where trail head is exactly, must be close to tetsa area I would think.

dakoda62
01-05-2015, 02:22 PM
This year we got a bull moose and my partner got a cow elk

TPK
01-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Get some underwear that provides a little support for the boys ... boxers will let things bounce that really shouldn't ....

dakoda62
01-05-2015, 03:38 PM
GOOD quality sleeping pad. dont take one of those pads from the dollar store.

01-05-2015, 03:43 PM
As said as good of optics as you can afford a light weight tripod to about 3 feet min a must, thermarest sleeping pad , moleskin, good overnight emergency kit ....... Ya never know ? Good slicker as mentioned. Expect to rip up a couple pairs of pants if ha have no chaps ...... Have a great time !

Mtn Wonderer
01-05-2015, 04:16 PM
This year I went on my first horse hunt it was unguided, man did I learn a lot!!!
we ride our horses about 85k before we were in our hunting area.

I wore a pair of chamois padded mountain bike shorts under all my gear, my butt was fine
for the whole trip and we rode our horses every day 14 day trip, one tip I learned:
if the horse is kind enough to get you up hill, be kind and lead your horse down hill.
Your horse will have more energy in the long run. Plus as said earlier its
helps you out as well.

MTW

bridger
01-05-2015, 09:37 PM
that's what saddle pads are for!! best sleeping pads ever!:lol:

for sure if you want to smell like a horse! Lol

white moose
01-17-2015, 08:13 PM
Ordered a couple elk bag sets from caribou game bags. They were a little pricy, but look like they should work good, if we get anything. Also thinking of taking my 7mm over the 30 06. Main reason being, The 7mm has iron sights on it, in case something happens to the scope. Next new gear I'm looking for will be a thermarest and rain gear. Any opinions on two piece rain gear compared to just a slicker? Also does anyone use any cover up scent spray? Thanks for any advice

bridger
01-17-2015, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=white moose;1591479]Ordered a couple elk bag sets from caribou game bags. They were a little pricy, but look like they should work good, if we get anything. Also thinking of taking my 7mm over the 30 06. Main reason being, The 7mm has iron sights on it, in case something happens to the scope. Next new gear I'm looking for will be a thermarest and rain gear. Any opinions on two piece rain gear compared to just a slicker? Also does anyone use any cover up scent spray? Thanks for any advice[/QUOTE

Probably better off to take the scoped rifle. If your scope isn't top quality you want to think about replacing it.

01-17-2015, 08:59 PM
that's what saddle pads are for!! best sleeping pads ever!:lol:

Very true ....... Specially when used immediately after s long ride in lol haha

barry1974w
01-17-2015, 09:09 PM
Man, I want to do a trip like this, I think it would be the trip of a lifetime. Keep us posted and let us know how you do (and keep me jealous....)

bridger
01-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Man, I want to do a trip like this, I think it would be the trip of a lifetime. Keep us posted and let us know how you do (and keep me jealous....)

Agree! Pack trips are the ultimate hunting adventure!

white moose
01-17-2015, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=white moose;1591479]Ordered a couple elk bag sets from caribou game bags. They were a little pricy, but look like they should work good, if we get anything. Also thinking of taking my 7mm over the 30 06. Main reason being, The 7mm has iron sights on it, in case something happens to the scope. Next new gear I'm looking for will be a thermarest and rain gear. Any opinions on two piece rain gear compared to just a slicker? Also does anyone use any cover up scent spray? Thanks for any advice[/QUOTE

Probably better off to take the scoped rifle. If your scope isn't top quality you want to think about replacing it.

They both have scopes, but the 7mm is a sako finn bear that also has the iron sights. I'm looking at getting a new zeiss hd5, the brother put one on his nosler 48 and seems to love it.

Bear Chaser
01-17-2015, 10:12 PM
opinions on two piece rain gear compared to just a slicker? Also does anyone use any cover up scent spray? Thanks for any advice

You'll definitely appreciate 2 piece rain gear.
cover up scent spray should only be used on your hunting partners.

daycort
02-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Old bed sheets stitched together makes great meat sacks. Also make sure you rub bacon grease on your partners sleeping bag canvas. It may save your life.

Timberjack
02-13-2015, 08:59 PM
can't emphasize enough how sore your ass will be if you don't ride already. Bike riding for a few weeks before the trip will at least toughen up your ass bones and muscles enough so that you might actually be able to sit and glass on day 3, rather than only standing and laying on your side... Plus it will help with leg strength on the hunt...

Big Lew
02-13-2015, 09:13 PM
can't emphasize enough how sore your ass will be if you don't ride already. Bike riding for a few weeks before the trip will at least toughen up your ass bones and muscles enough so that you might actually be able to sit and glass on day 3, rather than only standing and laying on your side... Plus it will help with leg strength on the hunt...

Agree....more than one manly guy has had to resort to 'side saddle' riding and hoped that no one had a camera, lol! Newbes don't realize how hard it is on your knees for the first while. That's where the term 'bowlegged' became famous.

bearvalley
02-13-2015, 09:30 PM
If the knees and butt get sore, get off and walk awhile, especially when your going down hill. It gives your pony a break to.

Timberjack
02-13-2015, 10:03 PM
If the knees and butt get sore, get off and walk awhile, especially when your going down hill. It gives your pony a break to.

trouble is, most newbies won't notice their butt is sore until day 2, then it's waaay too late - so tender they'll be stacking up sleep pads between them and the saddle. Certainly more so for the skinny guys anyway...

seriously though - the bones you sit on while on a bike are the same ones on a saddle - a few weeks on the bike prior to your trip will make your hunt much more enjoyable!!

TJ

Big Lew
02-13-2015, 10:31 PM
trouble is, most newbies won't notice their butt is sore until day 2, then it's waaay too late - so tender they'll be stacking up sleep pads between them and the saddle. Certainly more so for the skinny guys anyway...

seriously though - the bones you sit on while on a bike are the same ones on a saddle - a few weeks on the bike prior to your trip will make your hunt much more enjoyable!!

TJ

And you might even find a new pursuit like I did....long distance bicycle touring, or even off-road mt riding.

Pre '64
02-15-2015, 06:10 AM
I did a horseback hunt up there with Tuchodi River Outfitters last August. I am 60 yrs old and hadn't rode since I was young but didn't mind it too much. 10 hrs the first day riding then 3-4 hrs each day looking for sheep and elk. I don't know how old you are but Hit the gym hard 3 times a week and build your muscles up! leg extensions, hamstrings, abs upper body everything, and cardio until you are just about dead. If I hadn't did this I would have had a hard time at my age. My guide said he couldn't believe it when after a climb he looked back and I was right behind him. Chaps are a good idea , the willows beat your knees up in some places esp old seismic lines, keep your rain gear in your saddle bag for easy access even in sunny weather. You don't want to have to have take the tarp off the packhorse and dig it out of your duffle in the rain. I used helly Hanson rubber raingear and it worked good. I used Miendl mountain boots on the horse, no problem. I suggest a GPS for finding horses when they are tied. We hobbled the horses and they fed all night. Someone else asked if you are having a wrangler? A wrangler hobbles the horses catches them before light in the morning, go and finds them when they take off, which they will. They can go a long ways in hobbles if they want to. A good wrangler makes a good hunt. The horses have to eat and they can't eat much when you are hunting all day. Are you taking a big tarp 20x20 to put up over your campfire? This was great in the rain. My guide didn't even sleep in the tent just under the tarp. I got a 10 1/2 yr old dark ram.great hunt. Any specific questions pm me if you like.

BCHunterTV
08-09-2015, 10:41 PM
I have http://www.pristineventures.com/products/synthetic-game-bags.html for game bags, ill also be bringing cotton pillow cases as game bags/backup.

WhiteMoose Im headed into the same area i believe as you...2 day ride in, area is normally hunted for ELk and this year they are doing Moose back in there too. Im hitting the trail Sept 23 with Steamboat

When you off?

Ordered a couple elk bag sets from caribou game bags. They were a little pricy, but look like they should work good, if we get anything. Also thinking of taking my 7mm over the 30 06. Main reason being, The 7mm has iron sights on it, in case something happens to the scope. Next new gear I'm looking for will be a thermarest and rain gear. Any opinions on two piece rain gear compared to just a slicker? Also does anyone use any cover up scent spray? Thanks for any advice

white moose
08-10-2015, 11:22 AM
We trailing in on Sept 10th. We wanted your time block, but you must have booked first. lol. Never been in before and are going after elk, just two of us. I never got a quote for how much $ to take a moose out on same trip. Probably some good ones in there. One month away.

BCHunterTV
08-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Been booked for a while,

Headed a lot a good things about Steamboat, great guys to talk with... can't wait to go in on this hunt. I've done plenty of fly in hunts for elk and moose but never a horseback hunt.

Good luck on your trip,

bridger
08-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Been booked for a while,

Headed a lot a good things about Steamboat, great guys to talk with... can't wait to go in on this hunt. I've done plenty of fly in hunts for elk and moose but never a horseback hunt.

Good luck on your trip,

be careful it is addicting. Lol

BCHunterTV
08-10-2015, 09:45 PM
i know, thats what im scared about! :p

already thinking about Sheep next year and havent even done this years trip yet lol

be careful it is addicting. Lol

BCHunterTV
09-18-2015, 02:47 PM
so curious how you made out White Moose....i leave Monday for the long drive