PDA

View Full Version : Harvest Questionnaire response letter

one-shot-wonder
01-03-2015, 01:54 PM
I have been asked to circulate this letter from a frustrated resident hunter:

To whom it may concern

Your ministry sends me a harvest questionnaire in the mail and you expect resident

hunters to fill out the data and return it all to you for your “management” of the resource.

Meanwhile you continue to erode resident hunters priveleges away from them via road closures

(guide requested), horn restrictions (guide requested), minimizing bear harvest on QCI (gov't

negotiated), and then Minister Thomson has the odacity to instill 4 times the normal allocations of

non resident allocations as compared to other jurisdictions from around North America, to our

beloved guide outfitters.

I am a dedicated hunter and conservationist and I believe in science based wildlife

management based on the North American model. However, when your government does not play

by, or believe in, the same objectives, everything else becomes a mute point.

Being that your government supports the guiding industry so strongly – go ahead and ask

them about the wildlife. You certainly do not listen to the over 100,000 resident hunters – so go

ahead and listen to the slightly over 100 outfitters. After all – they gave your government money

during the last election. Money talks and science walks.

My family not only eats the meat of wild animals that we are so dedicated in pursuing and

preserving, but I also know residents who make their livelivelihood through the taxidermy

business. I would like to see their businesses guaranteed with similar incentives as the

guide/outfitters have recently received.

$40,000+ dollars for a sheep hunt and they are booked for years in advance – and here I

am waiting for over 20 years for a limited entry opportunity. It never happened and now I am

getting to the stage in life where I am unable to hike the mountains. Oh yes, the government

removed most of the packers (guide outfitter requested) from the Province. Anything the guides

want, they seem to get. The asking will never stop.

So – back to the questionnaire – don't bother sending me any more until you readdress the

Allocation Policy and institute what all parties (BCWF, Outfitters, Gov't) ALL signed some years

back!

With all the respect due:

Resident Hunter

Whonnock Boy
01-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Can't really blame the guy, can you?

Steeleco
01-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Great letter, lets hope it's hits the right nerve?

01-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Spoken by One .... but thought of by so many.

It is what it is as they say.

Keep writing your MLA's, the Premier Etc etc. of your disapproval of the recent Policy.

Strength in numbers.

Stay strong and stay together.

CT

goatdancer
01-03-2015, 04:06 PM
The problem with the letter is that the people who rely on the info are not the ones who make the allocation policies. The people who rely on the info are trying to do their best to determine seasons and limits, despite the massive cuts to their budgets. The blame lies with the politicians, they are the ones who need to be raked over the coals.

hunter1947
01-04-2015, 07:39 AM
Our management in BC stink big time they our game management politicians are run by the Guides Outfitters as far as I am concerned lots of us don't really know how much outfitters have an impact on our GOS LEH no dough about it :cry:,, maybe most of the politicians in BC are vegetarians ??? ..

Husky7mm
01-04-2015, 07:59 AM
The problem with the letter is that the people who rely on the info are not the ones who make the allocation policies. The people who rely on the info are trying to do their best to determine seasons and limits, despite the massive cuts to their budgets. The blame lies with the politicians, they are the ones who need to be raked over the coals.

x2, nice letter though, but they need your data