PDA

View Full Version : Choke tubes - black cloud

Dutch Ppoacher
01-03-2015, 12:00 AM
I have been shooting blue box federal BB & 2 for the last several yrs.
i noted on the distance black cloud rounds hit birds. Several guys in my crew shoot them. If i was to start shooting them, is a custom BC choke worth looking into?
Anyone running one and notice any improvements?

thoughts and comments appreciated

curtis

Cdn-Redneck
01-03-2015, 07:51 AM
I use a patternmaster code black goose choke it is a full pattern to 70 yards. The nice thing about it is you can shoot cheaper ammo instead of black cloud which is pricey. I also have a patternmaster extended range choke for sale on here. Not sure what gun you shoot it is for benelli criollo or beretta optima thread pattern.

Foxton Gundogs
01-03-2015, 11:20 AM
I shoot 3" Score or SuperX BB /#3(goose/duck) for my first 2 shots and a 3.5"(Super X, Kent or Federal) for my 3rd hail Mary(in case a hard hit bird is making a getaway) through a Mod or IM choke in my Beretta. I don't find a need for a long range choke as we shoot most birds with the landing gear down. BTW I have a case of 3.5" Black Clouds I will make someone a hell of a deal on lol.

lorneparker1
01-03-2015, 02:02 PM
I would learn how to shoot before I would waste my money on blackcloud. I shoot IC's out of U/O, a patternmaster out of my old 870 and a Rob Robertson T2 out of my browing silver. I like them all, but the t2 is my fav.

Lorne

Dutch Ppoacher
01-03-2015, 10:58 PM
I would learn how to shoot before I would waste my money on blackcloud. I shoot IC's out of U/O, a patternmaster out of my old 870 and a Rob Robertson T2 out of my browing silver. I like them all, but the t2 is my fav.

Lorne
I honestly can't hit sh!t, and rely on my parteners to get them. But it never hurts to look good in the parking lot and talk the talk by the shop counter!

Dutch Ppoacher
01-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Your browning silver should shot similar to my maxus

lorneparker1
01-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Welll I don't know if you are being serious... hahaha but if you are, shooting black cloud isn't gonna help!

albravo2
01-03-2015, 11:22 PM
I honestly can't hit sh!t, and rely on my parteners to get them. But it never hurts to look good in the parking lot and talk the talk by the shop counter!

I've never hunted with the Ppoacher, but life has taught me the guys that say they can't shoot, usually can. And the guys that say they can shoot, usually can't.

Me, I'm the exception to the rule. I really am a lousy shot.

lorneparker1
01-03-2015, 11:23 PM
That's the thing, is I have hunted with him..... but only once and I cant remember if he could or not hahaha

Dutch Ppoacher
01-04-2015, 12:21 AM
I am just having fun, it sounded funny....
i kill as many birds as everyone else, just sat out on a couple rounds and just called the other day and noted how far out some birds where dropping from BC ammo
i dont want to spend 27$/box, thats what has kept me from them in the past, just tossing the thought around.

damn kids have kept me and parker from sharing a day in the layouts this yr, it will happen if he dosen't fall too in love with his new boat! Mind you i can always come up and show him how to get a few nice ones! Leave them little ones alone. Ha ha

curtis

Foxton Gundogs
01-04-2015, 10:06 AM
I've never hunted with the Ppoacher, but life has taught me the guys that say they can't shoot, usually can. And the guys that say they can shoot, usually can't.

Me, I'm the exception to the rule. I really am a lousy shot.

Well I know for a fact that Lorne can't shoot, hell he shoots almost as bad as I do LMFatAO

Dutch
01-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Patterning your gun with different shells is ABSOLUTELY the way to go.I used to subscribe to the well hell there close enough any half decent shell will work.Wrong! PN and I patterned our 2 berettas couple years ago ,he shoots a patternmaster I have a wad wizard aftermarket choke, you could drive a greater canada through some of the holes we seen.The differance was quite astonishing ,the patternmaster loved winchester premiums ,my wad Kent supersteel.There were up to 40% differances in the pellet count between ,federal,winchester,remington, and kent food for thought....

Foxton Gundogs
01-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Patterning your gun with different shells is ABSOLUTELY the way to go.I used to subscribe to the well hell there close enough any half decent shell will work.Wrong! PN and I patterned our 2 berettas couple years ago ,he shoots a patternmaster I have a wad wizard aftermarket choke, you could drive a greater canada through some of the holes we seen.The differance was quite astonishing ,the patternmaster loved winchester premiums ,my wad Kent supersteel.There were up to 40% differances in the pellet count between ,federal,winchester,remington, and kent food for thought....

This is absolutely true back in the lead days I shot Imperials with my M12 it shot 4s and 5s great but 6s would throw a donut pattern a Mallard drake could fly through. As I said my Beretta X ll with Mod and IM loves Super X, Score and Kent BB, 2 and 3s Hates Blind Side and Black Clouds. Just a point of interest, Pattern Master chokes do not work well at speeds over 1550fps, the pattern blows apart.

Dutch Ppoacher
01-04-2015, 05:04 PM
I have been reading up on chokes and it seems most dont want you to exceed 1550fps.
Yes i patterened my gun, and if i buy a fancy choke tube i will agian! Guess my thought was if some one on here had any in action experience with a combo of choke and round that proved positive for them was what i was looking for before laying down $bills for one.
Black cloud just happened to be one of the rounds on the field the other day when we beat down a bunch of geese. It had a positive game day effect on them - Dead (but so did federal BB) but i dont watch myself shoot. (Kinda tough to do)

curtis

Dutch
01-04-2015, 11:02 PM
The wad wizard Patterns moderately better than stock in the imp/mod but quite a bit better in the mod/ full. I shoot a carlson out of my 20. it works pretty well ,much better than the stock browning flush mount tubes, but it should I guess