PDA

View Full Version : red lake brook trout

srupp
01-02-2015, 10:33 PM
Hmmm am interested in flyfishing Red lake for its famous brook trout.
Is it safe to tow a 30 foot travel trailer in?
When is the better and best time to flyfish these brookies ? May? June? On average..
Where is the turnoff going towards Kamloops from Cache Creek?
Driving carefully in the pavement princess how long from the highway to the lake? Is there a campground?
Any special fly patterns I should be tying?
Thank you in advance.
Cheers
Srupp

Sofa King
01-02-2015, 10:55 PM
deadman/vidette turn-off.

Sofa King
01-02-2015, 10:56 PM
pavement princess?
you mean a chevy?

250 sav
01-02-2015, 11:17 PM
your way better off going to red from kamloops with a 30' trailer or you can turnjust above savona onto sabiston creek rd. I've heard fishings slowed down and if bring a rifle you might get a wolf.

krazy
01-03-2015, 01:59 AM
I would pull a 30' trailer into Red from Kamloops (Tranquille) but don't think I'd attempt it from Sabiston. Regardless, there is no campsite. Although if the road isn't too wet some people manage to get RVs into the flats at the north end of the lake. BCLakefronts rents out a couple cabins on Red ... might be something to consider. End of May is prob best fishing ... chronies & leeches. I have some patterns built specifically for Red that I'll try to dig up.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Red_Lake_Brookie.JPG

Ferenc
01-03-2015, 04:28 AM
Yep I agree the hill after the old Tucson ranch can get icy and nasty!

Big Lew
01-03-2015, 08:24 AM
I would go in from Kamloops/Tranquille rather than Savona. The Sabiston road is narrow and quite
winding with a couple of steep grades. There also are 'locals' (with limited driving etiquette) that speed
along the lower winding half of that road which has some nasty blind corners.
As there isn't an established campsite, maybe consider, as "krazy" suggested, renting a cabin for your
first trip so that you can check out the road, or leaving your trailer in a campsite near Savona and doing
the same. It is quite a long way in there.

srupp
01-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Hmmm thanks Gents..great information
Cheersvand tight lines
Srupp

ultramafic
01-03-2015, 01:34 PM
I have been up that way a few times... we have towed our 16 foot (inside dimensions ) cargo trailer up the road from savona but I wouldn't do it with anything bigger than that. As noted its a pretty steep hill and has a lot of switchbacks in it and the gravel can be pretty loose which would cause traction issues if you were pulling a very large trailer. The lake is probably an hour drive on the gravel from the pavement, on the Savona side, without a trailer for a time reference...

mike

Jim Prawn
01-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Been there once a couple years ago, stayed at one of BCLakefronts cabins over thanksgiving. The cabins are sweet. Only fished right off the dock on the last day because we were mainly hunting. Absolutely slayed the brookies just tossing chironomids into the schools of dozens of fish we could see swimming in the shallows. Had a couple probly 2.5 -3 lbs but couldnt land them because it was shallow and weedy at the dock. Also holds some giant bows if you can get past the brookies! Highly recomend it.
JP

stinkyduck
01-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Hey Steve, I have a cabin up there, and go up there very often, from Savona. The road is very steep and windy. Sometimes I take the Deadman, then the Crisscreek road. This road is also Quite steep, but is not up and down, with many hills, as the Sabiston route. Ice comes off April 20th, and usually good within the first week or two. also good before freeze up, Nov. 17th. The kamloops road is a breeze, and worth the extra 40 minutes to tranquille, through Kamloops. If you are pulling a large load. PM me if you wish, I can help you find a spot or two to park.

srupp
01-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Thank you appreciate the offer..will do.
Cheers
Steven