PDA

View Full Version : monte lake kamloops ice fishing

Steelpulse
01-02-2015, 10:20 PM
What's the update? Ice yet? Should be next couple weeks i'd think, usually start fishing it in Feb if I recall, but can't remember will have to look back at the logs, can't wait to crush some kokanee....oh and catch some

Sofa King
01-02-2015, 10:54 PM
careful on there.
I've seen some of the craziest ice-fishers on that lake.
total sections of open water running across the lake and they are out there ice-fishing right near it.
almost as bad as the guys at woods lake who jump across three feet of open water along the shoreline to get out onto the ice.

Steelpulse
01-02-2015, 11:39 PM
Ya always careful on monte, but usually solid ice for a good month every year, last 3 years gets to about 8-10" in the middle

Liveforthehunt
01-02-2015, 11:52 PM
I hear yea sofa woods lake has had some pretty silly people wearing life jackets to go ice fishing :p. Last year Monte had Damn near 12 inches on it by now ... not the case this year still open water don't think it's going to happen this year with another warm spell on the way. I'd like to hear any updates in the coming weeks though keep us posted. My report was from last week still water. Cheers

Sunzuki
01-02-2015, 11:56 PM
So, bring a boat.............jeepers.

Sofa King
01-03-2015, 12:01 AM
that's something I've always kinda laughed at.
why people just don't go anyway.
if it's not froze, toss the boat in.
the only reason to ice-fish is because one is forced to.
I'd rather be on the big lakes anyway, they don't freeze.

Steelpulse
01-03-2015, 01:13 AM
Ya just drop an ice rod over the side of the boat, or flly fish a giant crack-cut with a chainsaw

Jagermeister
01-03-2015, 01:34 AM
The problem is that every time the temperature drops to the point of creating some hard water, the damm wind accompanies the cold snap and prevents ice formation. I'll boogaloo over that way over the next few days and have a gander. The boat idea sounds feasible. Don't know if one could troll that slow in cold water to entice a strike.

Jetboater
01-03-2015, 07:30 AM
It just got frozen up a few days ago. Give it a little bit more.

.308 NORMA
01-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Been fishing four a couple days now getting some nice kokanee 5" of ice south end

Liveforthehunt
01-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Been fishing four a couple days now getting some nice kokanee 5" of ice south end

South end ? Usually open water near the mouth even when it was cold as hell ... froze that much in a couple days hmm

bighornbob
01-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Just drove by and there was probably 20 guys fishing on the Ice

Bhb

bighornbob
01-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Just drove back through there and there is only a 1/4 of the guys that were there 2 hours earlier. Either the fishing was hot or real slow.

BHB

4 point
01-03-2015, 03:55 PM
I always wonder about the quality of the fish in that lake. There was two mills on that lake years ago and the one at the north end I was told was dumping all kinds of stuff into the lake that wouldn't be aloud with todays regulations. And for good reason. I wonder how long it takes if ever for a lake to "clean up"?

Steelpulse
01-03-2015, 04:26 PM
Fish have seemed quite healthy last few years, obviously can't see chemicals if they were there though

Sofa King
01-03-2015, 04:45 PM
not that it's an issue during the hard water season, but if trolling out there in the summer, steer clear just out in front of the grey house.
we were cruising along there and I almost got shot off the front of the boat.
turns out we caught the prop on their rope that is suspended just at that depth in the water after cutting their bouy off or it rotting off.
found a couple of these in shuswap as well, there's one just off the point by wildrose.

Jagermeister
01-03-2015, 11:43 PM
I always wonder about the quality of the fish in that lake. There was two mills on that lake years ago and the one at the north end I was told was dumping all kinds of stuff into the lake that wouldn't be aloud with todays regulations. And for good reason. I wonder how long it takes if ever for a lake to "clean up"?Contrary to popular belief, Monte Creek does not flow out of Monte Lake nor does it flow into Monte Lake. The is no inflow on the north end of the lake. There are a few seasonal or very low flow streamlets on the east and west sides. The outflow is on the south end and joins into the Salmon River eventually emptying Shuswap Lake at Salmon Arm.
I find it would be unlikely that the mill would contribute much if any pollution into Monte lake.

Liveforthehunt
01-04-2015, 12:19 AM
Interesting in and outs on the lake jagr

Sunzuki
01-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Those squatters still set up on the north end?
Been there for a few years now.
Curious as to how they are getting away with it?

Dannybuoy
01-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Those squatters still set up on the north end?
Been there for a few years now.
Curious as to how they are getting away with it?
I'm not sure about "squatters" but the north end of the lake is private property ... so maybe they have permission ? .... as far as the fishing , the main body of the lake was open water until a few days ago but now that its frozen it should thicken up , I might venture out for a look one day this week , at the worst the ends will be ok .

Sunzuki
01-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Someone had a pull trailer parked beside the gravel boat launch.
Not even a valid sticker on the licence plate.

Jagermeister
01-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Someone had a pull trailer parked beside the gravel boat launch.
Not even a valid sticker on the licence plate.
I think that was abandoned. Even the furnace and fridge were removed. Didn't want to pay a disposal fee I guess. The aluminium skin must have some value.
Well, just when ice fishing Monte looked bright, along came the snow and lots of it. I think that once it stops and the weather warms a bit as predicted, the snow will become heavier and will cause the ice to sink and flood over top. Should make for a sloppy hike out for those that care to venture that far. Hope it becomes colder in the near future.

Liveforthehunt
01-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Colder indeed it's gonna get messy with the pile of snow we are getting and still coming down was curious so went out with the measuring tape 21 inches on the ground to date