PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear

P.J.
01-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Sorry if this has been brought up a fair bit but had a few questions for you guys with experience. In the market for some new light rain gear. Using the C4E torrent stuff which is alright but have ripped it and do sweat quite a bit while walking. Was looking at the Kryptek poseidon jacket and pants, better price than the other high end stuff but still pricey at about 400 for the pants and jacket. Not sure if i like the fact it is a pullover for the jacket. Ive been looking at a few other brands as well, first lite, kuiu, sitka, arc teryx, hh and i like the kuiu Chugach, at least what ive read since i dont know anyone with it to try it out. Wondering on your guys' opinion of what you have used. Im not dead set on anything yet i just want to know what the water proofness, durability, breatheability and noise. Any info would be appreciated, i will be sheep/ elk hunting quite a bit next season as well. Thanks.

Sofa King
01-02-2015, 08:36 PM
no experience with it, but, I'd be wanting a zip-up not a pullover.

Wentrot
01-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Far from a wizard but IMO any rain gear will most likely have you sweating if you are bustin bush. I also wouldn't be overly concerned with its noise, if you have it on odds are its pissing outside so the sound of the material won't really be an issue. I recently got a Sitka cloudburst jacket, haven't had it out of the house yet though lol

Sofa King
01-02-2015, 09:03 PM
great point on the noise.

mikeboehm
01-02-2015, 09:10 PM
i used a set of helly hansen impertech on the queen charolette isl;ands during heavy rain . best rain gear for me to date

Everett
01-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Highly recommend this jacket its light waterproof and breathes better than any thing else I know of
http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/first-lite-boundry-stormtight-jacket/

Ranger95
01-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Sorry if this has been brought up a fair bit but had a few questions for you guys with experience. In the market for some new light rain gear. Using the C4E torrent stuff which is alright but have ripped it and do sweat quite a bit while walking. Was looking at the Kryptek poseidon jacket and pants, better price than the other high end stuff but still pricey at about 400 for the pants and jacket. Not sure if i like the fact it is a pullover for the jacket. Ive been looking at a few other brands as well, first lite, kuiu, sitka, arc teryx, hh and i like the kuiu Chugach, at least what ive read since i dont know anyone with it to try it out. Wondering on your guys' opinion of what you have used. Im not dead set on anything yet i just want to know what the water proofness, durability, breatheability and noise. Any info would be appreciated, i will be sheep/ elk hunting quite a bit next season as well. Thanks.

We have the kryptek Poseidon kit. It does exactly what it says it on the packaging - it's 100% waterproof even in a Bc deluge. It weighs very little - folds up real small, and is as quite as the Cadog system.

It has zero insulation properties and therefore should not be expected to keep you warm on its own, it is wind proof and breathable.

kryptek have a unique approach to their equipment, they realize that it's almost impossible to make a garment that is 100% waterproof - breathable and capable of extreme temperatures, they design their equipment to be layered - the shell suit will do everything except handle extreme rain - so the poseidon rain shell was designed for that purpose alone.

Their sizing is on the smaller side so I suggest going to a retailer like WSS with the shell suit you want to hunt in - then try the rain suit over it for fit and size.

hope this helps - if not, try reading some of the Alaska forums where they have simmilar conditions to Northern BC, I have yet to find anyone complaining about the Krypteck / poseidon stuff.

http://youtu.be/lyuyzfo7puI

HarryToolips
01-02-2015, 11:55 PM
I prefer army style ponchos, easy to use, unroll em throw em over ya and good to go..plus their tough, breathable as they are just draped over you, and I love em also cause I can keep my gun and/or equipment dry underneath em at the same time..

Husky7mm
01-03-2015, 08:09 AM
no experience with it, but, I'd be wanting a zip-up not a pullover.
X2 I havent tried many brands but have two helly Hanson tops and the pull over is a pain. As far as pants I found anything gortex or soft shell got wet in the ass when you sat down. Wondering if it's the same with the highend stuff.

BCHoyt
01-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Going with the Sitka Downpour myself... Its hard to find something better than Gore tex.

01-03-2015, 09:43 AM
High Quality Poncho, light fast, some can even make small shelters but Shy is the limit with Clothing ..... get the best ya can afford though.

CT

Straight shootin !

MBOGO
01-03-2015, 02:20 PM
I have the Kuiu Chugach, got lots of use this fall. Very breathable, packs small. Love it

The Hermit
01-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Going with the Sitka Downpour myself... Its hard to find something better than Gore tex.

You should come out to the house and check out the FirstLite gear before buying anything else. I also have the KUIU rain gear so you can compare... Cheers

P.J.
01-03-2015, 05:34 PM
The Hermit. I take it that you are a supplier for first lite. Quick questions, what is the sizing like for the stormtight. I am a 32 waist at 5'10". Also what would the shipping cost be for going up to FSJ? I am not dead set yet on one brand but want something that I can use for a good two or three seasons and not hate.

Thank you.

Everett
01-03-2015, 06:52 PM
The Hermit. I take it that you are a supplier for first lite. Quick questions, what is the sizing like for the stormtight. I am a 32 waist at 5'10". Also what would the shipping cost be for going up to FSJ? I am not dead set yet on one brand but want something that I can use for a good two or three seasons and not hate.

Thank you.

I am 5'10" 33 inch waist 195lb and I find the large roomy .

P.J.
01-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Thank you everrett

.300WSMImpact!
01-04-2015, 10:28 AM
You should come out to the house and check out the FirstLite gear before buying anything else. I also have the KUIU rain gear so you can compare... Cheers

firstlite is better than the kuiu? is it any better for price?

2x4x16
01-04-2015, 10:39 AM
I have to give the Kuiu the thumbs up. It's very hard to keep with producers as products and materials change all the time. I have the kuiu from a few years ago and love it I have two complete sets one camo for hunting and solids for hiking. At this time I would go back to the kuiu, I know it trust it and has never let me down.

The Hermit
01-04-2015, 10:52 AM
KUIU = $270 + $230 plus shipping and duties out of the US

First Lite = $315 + $289 plus $25 shipped from Victoria BC to anywhere in BC/Alberta

Yes, owning and using both the KUIU and First Lite products on the coast I give a slight advantage to the First Lite rain gear as it is a little more rugged... (ripped the Kuiu pants) and I like the hood better. First lite is also a little more roomy. I'm a 36" waist and 5'10" and the large is just right even a tad big in the chest.

Everett
01-04-2015, 12:05 PM
I wore my First lite jacket over 30 days this year and it performed flawlessly. Never had any Kuii products so can't compare but it compares nicely against arcterx which as far as I am concerned sets the industry standard. Also have a pair of first lite merino hunting pants which are awesome except for the stupid pockets.

avadad
01-04-2015, 12:43 PM
i used a set of helly hansen impertech on the queen charolette isl;ands during heavy rain . best rain gear for me to date

x2…good for hunting thick stuff as it is quiet and does not soak up water if touched by branches, grass, moss, etc. Buddy has Kuiu which is great stuff but I found it a bit noisy for blacktail hunting. Will invest in Kuiu for sheep type hunts.
Only thing I don't like about the Imperitech is that it could use a neoprene cuff to keep water from migrating up the sleeve. Otherwise it performs flawlessly. Dries quickly as well. I know lots of folks on this site use it.

Salty
01-04-2015, 01:11 PM
I use a Rivers West bomber style soft shell. They claim its waterproof, breathable and quiet. I'd have to agree I don't use any special rain gear just this jacket with under layers I've never been wet from rain or sweat and it does rain a tad here in hunting season. The zipper arm pit vents are nice but you really need to be huffin it to need them actually it seems to breath all right on its own. But does break the wind. And I'm rockin Cabellers dry plus pants. They get a bit wet only when sitting in heavy rain on the flat spots.. top of thighs were the rain doesn't shed quickly. I just throw a bit of tarp over my lap when sitting in the rain. They do fine for bush wacking in the wet stuff water sheds enough.

.300WSMImpact!
01-04-2015, 09:49 PM
KUIU = $270 + $230 plus shipping and duties out of the US

First Lite = $315 + $289 plus $25 shipped from Victoria BC to anywhere in BC/Alberta

Yes, owning and using both the KUIU and First Lite products on the coast I give a slight advantage to the First Lite rain gear as it is a little more rugged... (ripped the Kuiu pants) and I like the hood better. First lite is also a little more roomy. I'm a 36" waist and 5'10" and the large is just right even a tad big in the chest.

thank you!!!!!!

Lastcar
01-04-2015, 10:26 PM
I just got Sitka Dew Point. I had the cloud burst jacket and storm front pants. Was very pleased with them but they spent way too much time in my pack not enough on my body. 20+ days of hunting this year and wore it once for about 5 hours one day and few hours here and there on others. Should have worn it when hunting in that minus 20 and colder nightmare that was the end of November. Not for rain but for the damn wind! Managed to do ok with my 90% and layers. Until we would sit to glass. For about 11 minutes.

So I figured going lighter would make sense. I very well may regret this when I get caught in a multi day downpour with no way to dry it properly at night. But for now I'm going to risk it and save a pound and some cubic inches.

Wore the Dewpoint doing chores around the yard in the rain today and it seemed quite satisfactory. Thinner for sure, so I may have to be a bit more careful with it. Did read some reviews from others who said they didn't go easy on it and it held up. I'm bit of bull dozer in hiking style (not size) so if anyone will tear it it'll be me. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. And have wet underwear.

I'll be selling the Cloudburst pants and Stormfront pants when I get back from Winnipeg in a week...assuming I don't freeze to death. Keep an eye out for the ad or if someone is interested PM me in the mean time. They are both medium and hadn't even began to think of a price. But it'll be fair, have other things I want to buy that I also don't need.

That's my favourite gear to buy, shiny shit I don't need!

ratherbefishin
01-05-2015, 08:54 AM
Wetskins MARINER brand is pretty good-if you can find it.Wallmart used to carry it for about $ 120.The Mariner brand seemed to be better than the regular Wetskins

Wentrot
01-05-2015, 09:06 AM
Wetskins MARINER brand is pretty good-if you can find it.Wallmart used to carry it for about $ 120.The Mariner brand seemed to be better than the regular Wetskins

Can vouch for that-I had that for several years(didn't hunt then but spent plenty of time outdoors in the rain) it was good stuff. Like all things it eventually started letting water in so I retired it but for the price it was good stuff

Mathil
01-09-2015, 06:50 PM

I have a downpour set (pants and jacket) as well as some stormfront pants. I will say 2 things:

1) The downpour is 100% waterproof, and it's flock face makes it quieter than other scratchy goretex. However, the flock facing does load up with water fairly quickly, meaning it no longer breathes as well as a "dry" garment where the water continues to bead off. The DWR on the facing is good, and can be refreshed, but it's more of a "sit in the shit and keep dry" garment than "hike up the mountain in the shit".

2) The Stormfront is also 100% waterproof, however it has a typical goretex face material that sheds water and maintains some breathability for a while. It's more the "hike up the mountain" kind of gear, better suited to physical exertion.

As for the construction of the sitka gear I have no complaints, it's all top marks.