PDA

View Full Version : Any good map/terrain maps Apps out there for iPad iphone

Dougielightning
12-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Just as the title says, trying to find a good one but haven't had any real luck yet, thanks.

Wentrot
12-30-2014, 10:34 PM
I use android so not sure if this app is also for iphone but backcountry navigator is amazing

Cordillera
12-30-2014, 10:39 PM
GPS Kit for iPad is phenomenal. It lets you view multiple sources including Bing, Google sattelite, and for open cycling topo. Sometimes Bing images are better than google. Best of all it lets you cache images for use when not connected. Open cycling has 1:20k topo for some areas and 1:50 k for others.

XPEIer
12-31-2014, 07:20 AM
We use GPS Kit Hd at work on our I pads and I also put it on my I phone, in short it is like having Google Earth with you at all times. You DO need an I pad that is SIM CARD capable, you dont have to put one in, but that model has the better GPS in it.

As Cordillera stated, you can cache your maps in detail, you can also draw a track in Google Earth at home, email it to your I product, open it in GPS Kit and then follow it while in the field.
You can tracklog, take photos that will be geo tagged right onto that track and then simply email that KMZ to whomever, the track and photos come along.

Xpeier

Dougielightning
12-31-2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks to all I'll give them a try appreciate the replies

va7bkl
12-31-2014, 08:49 AM
I like using Western Map Canada

swampthing
12-31-2014, 09:03 AM
Hunt buddy has some pretty detailed maps.

Lionhill
12-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Motion X GPS. Amazing.

12-31-2014, 09:39 AM
another for GPS Kit

wsetter
12-31-2014, 04:09 PM
One for Hunt Buddy here, but spend the extra $$$ and get the map sets. It comes with "GeoBC Topo", "CBMT Topo", and OpenStreetMap. all these are downloaded and can be accessed when you do not have service. best hunting app I've used yet. set your MU check the regs, maps, very easy to use. set way points and markers on your maps. For both iPhone and android. and if you have a tablet you get an even better experience.

odd6hunter
01-02-2015, 09:49 AM
another one for hunt buddy.

steve-r
01-03-2015, 08:31 PM
You can download all the BC topo maps as pdf's from GeoBC and use Avenza PDF Maps free from the App Store to view them on IOS devices even if offline.

boxhitch
06-10-2015, 01:13 PM
Working with a tablet , anyone with more input ?
Backcountry Navigator looks good
does GeoBC have more up to date info ?

Lastcar
06-10-2015, 02:26 PM
I use GAIA and Huntbuddy.

I am experimenting with replacing my GPS with my iPhone 6 with this app. They have a great article on extending battery life and on another forum a guy claims to have used it on a 10 day hunt with no charging. Using it solely as a GPS and as you would with a handheld GPS he got exactly what he needed from a GPS and more. Has a bunch of maps and sattelite photos, map downloads for no service or quicker views, altimeter and a bunch more options that any high end GPS has.

I do pay for the extra subscription, which is about $4 a month maybe. So in theory I should come out ahead in the long run vs buying a new handheld every now and then and a map chip. And get to have the most current maps and images when they are available.

Only thing I am missing...sort of...is the BC Backroads Maps via their chip. But I am not sure I really am.

Not sure it'd be for everyone...heck not sure it is even for me...but I found I wasn't really using my Garmin 62STC to its capabilities mostly cause the interface was terrible. Accessing certain things on it seemed like a choose your own adventure every time.

Shortmag300
06-11-2015, 07:49 AM
X2 on hunt buddy great features you can access regulations and leh regs. As well it tracks what mu you are in and if you cross mu's it tells you what's open in new mu. I give hunt buddy two thumbs up. Very user friendly even for my not so technologically savvy dad who is 74 years old.

Gateholio
06-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Just saw an ad for BC back roads new product. Might be worth checking out.

Swissrallyman
06-11-2015, 04:39 PM
iPad with gps chip (the model with phone capability), then I use GPS PRO where you can import the MU shapefiles etc. use wifi at home to cache the area I go hunting in with Google earth or Bing images which you can download at whatever resolution you want. Then in the field you have your Google earth image, you can track your progress, mark spots etc etc...pretty awesome. Only drawback is that gis pro is about $300 for the app but there might be a cheaper one out there by now.

bcsteve
06-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Just saw an ad for BC back roads new product. Might be worth checking out.

What is it?

Lastcar
06-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Here is a link to what Gatehouse was mentioning:

http://www.brmbnavigator.com/

Going to check it out tonight. What's more money spent on GPS apps. ;-)

Busterpayton54
06-11-2015, 06:09 PM
I use Gaia, ever since I downloaded it I leave my 3 gps's at home. I carry one of those battery packs, $35 at Cambodian tire, gets me 3 dead to full charges.

lovemywinchester
06-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Motion X GPS. Amazing.

Another vote for Motion x GPS. It is the cats ass. You can read all the features on the site but it has all you want. My favorite part is that you can save your track, use the share feature and it will send it to your email. You open the KMZ file and it automatically opens on Google Earth on your computer at home so you can really study the area you are hunting. The best part is its only
.99c. Less than 1$. I have had some issues with the maps loading out of cell range but the track features still all work if you need it for getting out.

http://gps.motionx.com/

Lastcar
06-11-2015, 07:31 PM
I use Gaia, ever since I downloaded it I leave my 3 gps's at home. I carry one of those battery packs, $35 at Cambodian tire, gets me 3 dead to full charges.

I am going to have say I am sticking with GAIA as well.

The Backroads App is pretty tough to sort out...I'll have to play with it some more. Could be me, but dang it is painful to use so far.

If someone is after something sooner than later that is A OK check out GAIA.