PDA

View Full Version : ELK: Late peace season.

Ambush
12-30-2014, 05:02 PM
After applying since it's inception one of us finally got drawn for any elk in the Peace.

Our original plan for accommodations is now out, so I'm looking for options. Our first stab at it will start this Sunday and will last three or four days.

Does anyone know of cabins or hunter friendly B&B's or even reasonable Hotel/kitchenettes, preferably on the Hudson Hope to FSJ road? Closer to the Bear Flats area the better. We will likely be sitting in a blind or tree stand all day long so a warm place at night would be a welcome relief.

Thanks.

Foxtail
12-30-2014, 05:34 PM
No idea, but my brother got the draw aswell. I dont know what his plans are yet.

Ambush
12-30-2014, 05:38 PM
No idea, but my brother got the draw aswell. I dont know what his plans are yet.

Into the low minus thirties, at night, for the early new year up there. Today was warm though apparently.

Vladimir Poutine
12-30-2014, 05:59 PM
There are very few if any private land opportunities through that area. Get some pics though, if Site C happens all of that area that you mention will be history.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Go for the blind with heater option. Skip the ttreestand. Cold just thinking about it
SSS

stinkyduck
12-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Peace Glen hotel

bridger
12-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Try a motel in fs john very short drive to bear flats closer than H&H no accomodations along highway 29

srupp
12-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Hmmm after last year, this year buddy heater and ground blind....not headed up for several weeks..good luck on your adventure.
Srupp

okas
12-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Stop at any work camp if there is room most times you will be ok. Not many bulls this year.

Ambush
12-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the info so far. Got the buddy heaters if we can use blinds. Its an archery hunt so tree stands on travel trails may be the order of the day. But we sit all day at minus 25 on longer days, so whatever it takes. Ideally, we'll find that one dumb bull on the first morning, right close to the road on the drive in.

srupp
12-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Hmmm last year elk were gone into thick steep bedding by daybreak...however listening to 70 elk during the dark predawn period..what a racket..got mine when they headed out for afternoon feeding just prior to evening...the minus 30 temp and 4 foot of snow required longer feed times? They showed up too esrly for their own good...have a repeat invitation to a ranch....never been so cold in my life brrrrrrrrrrrrrrŕŕrrrrrrrrr
Cheers
Steven

My tag is for antlerless only..didnt know there were bull tags? Good luck, stay real close to that buddy heater..lol

LupieHunter
12-31-2014, 09:23 AM
^ I believe there is another smaller draw at the same time as the antlerless for either sex. Myself and my brother have the antlerless draw again and will be going up in a couple of weeks.

ABad
12-31-2014, 10:33 AM
buddy and I will be heading up to Dawson Creek in a few weeks as well. We both have the antlerless draw. Just wondering about gutting an animal in -30 temps. Do you use winter gloves, latex? my daughter got frost bite earlier this year not something I want. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Angus
12-31-2014, 10:41 AM
Hmmm last year elk were gone into thick steep bedding by daybreak...however listening to 70 elk during the dark predawn period..what a racket..got mine when they headed out for afternoon feeding just prior to evening...the minus 30 temp and 4 foot of snow required longer feed times? They showed up too esrly for their own good...have a repeat invitation to a ranch....never been so cold in my life brrrrrrrrrrrrrrŕŕrrrrrrrrr
Cheers
Steven

My tag is for antlerless only..didnt know there were bull tags? Good luck, stay real close to that buddy heater..lol

Steven, no where near as much snow as last year. In Dec 2013 we got bombed with about four feet that month; so far, less than 2 feet on the ground.

Angus

coach
12-31-2014, 10:44 AM
buddy and I will be heading up to Dawson Creek in a few weeks as well. We both have the antlerless draw. Just wondering about gutting an animal in -30 temps. Do you use winter gloves, latex? my daughter got frost bite earlier this year not something I want. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

shouldn't be an issue during the gutting process. The animal will remain warm inside while you are doingyourwork and any blood you get on your hands will freeze and flake off easily. You will want a warm pair of gloves to put on as soon as you're done, though. :smile: At -30 or colder your elk will likely freeze solid within 24 hours. This isn't an issue as you will be able to hang and thaw when you get back home (or to your butcher). Meat quality won't be affected.

A note on propane heaters - last trip I made, temps dropped as low as -46 and the propane froze, making the heater useless. Not sure what the low temperature limit for propane is, but important to factor in if you're planning an extended sit in a blind.

coach
12-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Steven, no where near as much snow as last year. In Dec 2013 we got bombed with about four feet that month; so far, less than 2 feet on the ground.
Angus

If anyone with this draw has the ability to adjust hunting plans at the last minute, you'll want to keep your eye on the forecast. The more snow and colder the temps, the better as the elk will stay in the fields a little longer in the morning and hit them again earlier in the evening. Make sure you've done your homework in advance so that you have several properties where you have permission to hunt.

bearvalley
12-31-2014, 10:52 AM

Thanks

Take some latex surgical type gloves with you. It's a lot nicer to roll the blood off your hands with the gloves than to wash it off in a snow bank. Stuffing wet, cold hands into gloves sucks.

BRvalley
12-31-2014, 10:56 AM

Thanks

I had issues at -27 with my moose, even though you warm up your fingers in the blood in the chest cavity, as soon as you take them out I had bloody ice fingers lol.....fingers/knuckles got pretty locked up...likely took longer than it should as that moose was the first big game animal I've ever gutted, but I now pack latex gloves and a few pairs of those thin cotton gloves in winter, I'm thinking there will still be enough dexterity and grip to do the work, but will keep my fingers dry at least....deer are quick enough that I didn't bother this year, but any big game when it's freezing I'll be at least experimenting with the latex glove combo...if it sucks then it's hands in the blood again lol

ABad
12-31-2014, 11:02 AM
thanks for all the help - I have the blind, heater, gloves, wool pants and guns, all we need now is elk.

BRvalley
12-31-2014, 11:06 AM
A note on propane heaters - last trip I made, temps dropped as low as -46 and the propane froze, making the heater useless. Not sure what the low temperature limit for propane is, but important to factor in if you're planning an extended sit in a blind.

if I can remember the right number, i think it's -44 F or -42 C is the boiling point of propane...so at -46 the propane would no longer be vapour and tank would be starting to freeze....the green 1lbers get pretty poor performance in my experiences, largers tanks do better i find...ice fishing into the -30's I bring my 10lb tank into the hut, if I keep it outside the heat starts to sputter

markomoose
12-31-2014, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=BRvalley;1583230]I had issues at -27 with my moose, even though you warm up your fingers in the blood in the chest cavity, as soon as you take them out I had bloody ice fingers lol.....fingers/knuckles got pretty locked up...likely took longer than it should as that moose was the first big game animal I've ever gutted, but I now pack latex gloves and a few pairs of those thin cotton gloves in winter, I'm thinking there will still be enough dexterity and grip to do the work, but will keep my fingers dry at least....deer are quick enough that I didn't bother this year, but any big game when it's freezing I'll be at least experimenting with the latex glove combo...if it sucks then it's hands in the blood again lol[/QUOT
We gutted a deer in minus 30 and its no picnic.Bring some baby wipes and keep them close to your body so they don't freeze.Easy clean up.

Sitkaspruce
12-31-2014, 11:22 AM
You will have no problem gutting the animal without gloves, but after, get light weight neoprene gloves used for steelhead fishing, that is what I use.

As for weather, it supposed to snow this weekend and get cold, not sure for how long. A blind, heater, warm cloths, an old sleeping bag or blanket to place across your lap, book to pass the time and one of those workout mats to place on the ground...helps with keeping the feet warm.

There is not as much snow in DC and FSJ.

If anyone needs a blind, chair and heater, let me know if around FSJ. I can lend a couple out.

Cheers

SS

Ironbutt
12-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Light fire and wrap propane tanks in pelt.

Blockcaver
12-31-2014, 01:25 PM
Ambush, good luck on the hunt! You deserve one for hunting those conditions!

killman
12-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Ambush, good luck on the hunt! You deserve one for hunting those conditions!

His brain is still frozen from the last week of deer season......lol

srupp
12-31-2014, 04:22 PM
Hmmm Ken may still take you up on a blind....come on snow...cold..lol
Cheers
Steven

Sitkaspruce
12-31-2014, 04:33 PM
It's just sitting here waiting for you Steven!!

Good luck to all.

Cheers

SS

leadpillproductions
12-31-2014, 04:35 PM
I seen a herd last night left side of hwy just past sukunka last night ,Prob close to 40 elk. They are coming from 721 to 722 mu 722 not open .

Ambush
12-31-2014, 04:47 PM
His brain is still frozen from the last week of deer season......lol

Oh, I was a numb-skull way before that!