PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Elk/Goat guide in BC

MOG
12-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Hi guys,
i have moved from Australia to the USA and am hoping to hunt Goats and Elk in BC in the next two years. I am hoping that you ladies and gents would be able to point me in a good direction.

I am focused on a fair chase hunt where I will have to camp in the wilderness rather than stay in a lodge and want a true wilderness experience, I am getting fitter already and I know I will ask myself why I am doing this more than once before I get up to BC to actually do the hunt.

I have mountain hunting experience in the mountains of NZ and l am super happy to work my butt off for a good animal in super challenging terrain.

Thanks in advance and happy new year to all.

regards,

Mog

mike-juliet
12-30-2014, 03:28 PM
With No disrespect to you personally, you might not get the overwhelming suggestions you are looking for based on recent news here in BC.
If I was you, I would be looking for an Outfitter that was not a member of GOABC, if their are any.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/new-hunting-regulations-in-b-c-favour-foreigners-says-wildlife-federation-1.2869668

12-30-2014, 03:37 PM
SAVE SOME money for now ....... Some bad stuff happening here in BC in regards to the guiding industry ......

You may want to look to Alberta, Yukon instead ........ There are some in BC that hold good reputation but it's getting fewer and fewer.

Good Luck

CT

ellenbill
12-30-2014, 03:41 PM
He's a non resident and would require a guide.

bearvalley
12-30-2014, 03:50 PM
You'll have a hard time finding an elk/goat combo hunt anywhere other than BC. There's still some good outfitters here even if curly top thinks otherwise.

j270wsm
12-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Why not hunt elk in Montana, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado? What about goats in Alaska??

monasheemountainman
12-30-2014, 04:02 PM
He's a non resident and would require a guide.
Not if he went to Alberta and had a hunter host(no goats though). to the OP you will not get any recommendation from me as us resident hunters in BC are in a fight for our rights against the GOABC

Everett
12-30-2014, 04:16 PM
You might want to go somewhere else for your hunt Non Residents are not going very welcome this upcoming hunting season in BC.

12-30-2014, 04:31 PM
You might want to go somewhere else for your hunt Non Residents are not going very welcome this upcoming hunting season in BC.

I am as upset with the GOABC as the rest of you, but I will NEVER treat a non-resident hunter poorly. The non-resident hunters coming to BC have nothing to do with the allocation fiasco, and we as resident hunters should not take our frustration with the GOABC or Liberal government out on them.

Everett
12-30-2014, 04:49 PM
I am as upset with the GOABC as the rest of you, but I will NEVER treat a non-resident hunter poorly. The non-resident hunters coming to BC have nothing to do with the allocation fiasco, and we as resident hunters should not take our frustration with the GOABC or Liberal government out on them.

I do agree with you and I personally would never be rude for no reason. But on this side of the Purcells people are pissed and I would not be surprised if it turned violent. Some of the comments I have heard from local residents makes me see this getting ugly and I would feel real bad if a Australian hunter go stuck in the middle. So my advice is go somewhere else and come hunt BC in 4 or 5 years when we have a new government or people anger has leveled off.

12-30-2014, 05:00 PM
I do agree with you and I personally would never be rude for no reason. But on this side of the Purcells people are pissed and I would not be surprised if it turned violent. Some of the comments I have heard from local residents makes me see this getting ugly and I would feel real bad if a Australian hunter go stuck in the middle. So my advice is go somewhere else and come hunt BC in 4 or 5 years when we have a new government or people anger has leveled off.

Yes that may be wise, although I sure hope resident hunters refrain from violence. Years ago I guided in the north and had a couple ignorant resident hunters confront and try and provoke me. I didn't react so nothing happened, but it was an unpleasant experience for my hunter and I. I've also had negative encounters with GOs while hunting as a resident - that's no fun either. Whatever tension existed prior to this allocation train wreck, will now be a powder keg. I hope no one gets hurt.

Seeker
12-30-2014, 05:03 PM
MOG, as you can see, there are some emotions flying right now between BC residents and the guide outfitters in BC. The rule right now is that non-residents(which is what you are) that wish to hunt in BC require either using a guide outfitter or by having a person you know to complete and submit a "Permission to Accompany"(PTA) permit. At this time, our government has allocated numbers of harvestable animals to guide outfitters that are way above industry standards and the resident hunters are rebelling in a major way. You could not have picked a worse time to pose such a question. There are some great outfitters in this province, but you would be hard pressed to have any resident hunter recommend one at this time. We would welcome you to come here to hunt, but my recommendation would be to wait a few years until this dust has settled.

monasheemountainman
12-30-2014, 05:05 PM
resorting to violence wont make anything better it will only do the opposite. the best thing we can do is let our voices be heard and act in a wise, responsible manner, and respond intelligently.

MOG
12-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Wow,
guys thanks for your frank honesty. I am an Australian and have been given an opportunity to live in the US by my Govt for a very finite period. I have only just read the first parts of the issues you are having and all I can say is that it's a very very poor state of affairs what has just happened.
I am in no way trying to cut anyone's grass so to speak I just want to hunt. If you do know any straight up guys I'd doubly like to know now as I can't really wait as the savings I make from decreasing my travel costs are the ways I can afford this hunt and give away drinking for a few months.

thanks again and I do hope that there is a resolution that benefits locals a lot more in the future.

Edit: spelling

Mog

GoatGuy
12-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Marty Lightburn at Rocky Mountain High can probably fit your needs. Has both. Probably best to focus on one species. One of the few I would recommend. Steep country is all.

deeks1989
12-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Easy : Packhorse Creek Outfitters in the flathead. Great guy's, trophy quality animals and unbelievable scenery. PM me I can give you any info you need.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Isn't one of the places with sheep quota issues in the Flathead??

curt
12-30-2014, 08:18 PM
ya no disrespect but poor timing on the guide question as far as I'm concerned...... well ill just be the bigger man and keep my opinions to myself

boxhitch
12-30-2014, 08:31 PM
MOG , take a look at a couple of the g/o's along the Kechika River , if you want true wilderness horseback hunt , and some great elk.
Terminus Mountain or Scoop Lake

chilcotin hillbilly
12-30-2014, 09:39 PM
I like Scoop Lake personally. First class people.

EvanG
12-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Maybe some of theses newly fired up residents should so a group trip into the creykes area.

Ambush
12-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Maybe some of theses newly fired up residents should so a group trip into the creykes area.

And knock off a $40,000 stone ram. For eighty bucks! That would be a smoking deal!!

BCbillies
12-30-2014, 11:51 PM

Yup. Lots of sheep and relatively easy access . . . lots of guys would be willing to provide info. While not part of the GOABC they definitely dance to their own drum.

RadHimself
12-31-2014, 12:30 AM
babineguides.com

they are my cousins and run a TIGHT outfit...

digger dogger
12-31-2014, 07:19 AM
I've talked with the owner, and hunted his territory a few times, i have to agree with CH.
Ask to talk to Darwin. They are AUS and NZ friendly.
Good luck, and happy new year, MOG.

Everett
12-31-2014, 10:35 AM

I would agree Darwin is a upstanding guy one of the few I would recommend.

bodine
01-01-2015, 03:11 PM
I sent a PM regarding this

MOG
01-05-2015, 10:18 AM
Gents thanks for all of your PM's and suggestions. I am looking closely at a number of these options and look forward to catching up when I get to BC.

regards,

Mog