PDA

View Full Version : new goose

chrismcd
12-29-2014, 10:08 PM
hey i got some full body goose decoy (only 4) for christmas. was thinking i might as well put them to use. i realize thats not nearly enough decoys to start with but im looking into getting some more. maybe a half dozen shells and some socks. i dont want to go too crazy beofre i at least try it.
im wondering how many i should start with to give me a chance at convincing some geese to come in
im also hoping that someone here can let me pick there brain on the hows and the donts to goose hunting.
if you dont mind me asking you a million questions let me know, i could sure use the help, ive never bird hunted and dont know where to start besides a few articles ive read here and there.

thanks, chris.

woops, can someone move this thread to the proper section

ramintony
12-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Hey bud I'm new to never been ive been wanting to try some duck hunting out before the season ends if you want another newb to come with you let me know this may sound gay but we can learn together lol

Whonnock Boy
12-30-2014, 12:05 AM
It sounds very gay coming from a guy named 'ramin' tony. Very funny.... :lol:

ramintony
12-30-2014, 12:14 AM
haha I didnt think about my username when I chose it lol

303Brit
12-30-2014, 10:54 AM
I've shot cheeks over robo's with no dekes, and I've also had birds land 200m away when we've had 9 doz. So there is no ultimate answer, there are too many variables, from fields to sheets to water, to driveable roads to muddy gross fields.

Start with what you can afford, and go from there. Eventually one day you and you`re hunting partner will look at all your stuff and go Holy Fack we have alot of dekes!

Foxton Gundogs
12-31-2014, 10:11 AM
" Eventually one day you and you`re hunting partner will look at all your stuff and go Holy Fack we have alot of dekes!"
As my wife tells me every time she ventures into "my" part of the barn "Apparently you can never have to many decoys" When exactly do you think a guy will be able to say that Kiel?

303Brit
12-31-2014, 04:21 PM
" Eventually one day you and you`re hunting partner will look at all your stuff and go Holy Fack we have alot of dekes!"
As my wife tells me every time she ventures into "my" part of the barn "Apparently you can never have to many decoys" When exactly do you think a guy will be able to say that Kiel?

800yds into a muddy potato field in the pouring rain and 100mph winds ;)

Foxton Gundogs
12-31-2014, 08:45 PM
800yds into a muddy potato field in the pouring rain and 100mph winds ;)

I guess I will just have to wait for the revolation to strike me. lol

303Brit
01-01-2015, 11:38 PM
I guess I will just have to wait for the revolation to strike me. lol

lol, subsides quickly like with women and child birth "I'm never having another" 4 months later ah they're soo cute ;)

chrismcd
01-04-2015, 09:52 PM
im hoping ill one day be in that situation. is there a certain type of decoy thats better than others? are full bodys better than shells? are shells better than socks? will socks work?

303Brit
01-06-2015, 08:21 PM
There is no yes or no, I'll try to find the article for ya that basically highlights all the pros and cons of each variety and were to use which. etc

Foxton Gundogs
01-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Sills and shells work fine early in the year, as the birds get educated we keep adding and swithing up the spread, by the end of the season we go with mostly full bodies using sills and shells to fill in the gaps, while sox work fine for snows, I am not a fan for Canadas.

chrismcd
01-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Hey I've been spotting some birds here and there in local fields. Most the birds are in no shoot zones though. I know no one likes giving up spots, I'm wondering if you could tell me an old/less productive spot to learn from. As I'm writing this I'm wondering if the islands on the Fraser would hold any birds?