PDA

View Full Version : Deer in 4-18,4-19 kootenay lake

Evenweight
12-29-2014, 12:00 PM
thinking about heading to kootenay lake where I can get accomidations for my hunt at a reasonable price due to familly resources. I have space available in Queens Bay and Riondel.

When I was a young guy I spent my summers out there and hiked the park in the area. Havng said that my interest in hunting was low at the time and other than seeing deer on the Balfour golf course I do not recall seeing alot of deer. Let alone 4 point or better bucks.

I assume there are deer there (of course there is) but is it a healthy amount?
Given a choice for a couple of guys comming from Victoria to go to Kootenay Lake as oppossed to say Willaims lake area. What do you think?

Richard

GoatGuy
12-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Pretty bleak on the deer front there now.

Elk are decent.

Ourea
12-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Low MD numbers.
Lots of unhunted back country but tough as it gets depending on the specific area.
You will need time.
Weather can end hunts real quick.

Everett
12-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Go North of Riondel and there are Mule Deer and Elk closer to town there are some Whitetail as well. Lots of Black Bear

OutWest
12-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Pretty bleak on the deer front there now.

Elk are decent.

Low MD numbers.
Lots of unhunted back country but tough as it gets depending on the specific area.
You will need time.

Is it fair to say that low MD numbers + lots of unhunted country potentially = a buck or two that puts some serious age on?

Liveforthehunt
12-29-2014, 04:02 PM
In that area for a few days this year I was seeing upwards of 30 plus whiteys a day and very few muleys

358mag
12-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Low MD numbers.
You will need time.
Lots of wolfs and grizzly bears too

Fisher-Dude
12-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Is it fair to say that low MD numbers + lots of unhunted country potentially = a buck or two that puts some serious age on?

Yup.

But watch out for grizzly bears! They will KILL you! :-P

Evenweight
12-31-2014, 02:35 PM
thank you for your thoughts guys

Richard

nelsonob1
12-31-2014, 04:59 PM
If you are staying in queensbay then try the balfour face, or redfish creek drainage area. if no luck there try north above Kaslo - any fsr off the road to new Denver. best of luck.