PDA

View Full Version : sell me an elk antler?

untilthelastbeat
12-28-2014, 11:13 PM
Looking for a good sized elk antler to make an axe handle. So obviously it needs to have a good straight stretch in it. Im thinking of using the end of the main beam because the base usually has a pretty harsh curve. But if you have any you would part with post some pics of pm pics and include your price. Thanks. Also would like to make a hatchet handle aswel if you have smaller antlers or one big enough to make both.

untilthelastbeat
12-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Bump up to the top

Moose Guide
12-29-2014, 10:47 PM
I have about 14 sets plus some cast offs but I doubt if you could find a straight enough piece for an axe handle, hatchet maybe but not an axe!

untilthelastbeat
12-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Ya i figured it would be a hard bet to find a good straight one. Maybe if you have any that are close if you could send a pic or two if you think its worth it

Moose Guide
12-30-2014, 11:48 PM
Straight sections would be 12 to 14 inches and 2 inches in diameter, my biggest set has 17 inch sword points but wont be for sale. the inside of the antlers is porous and would be weak once it was carved down to fit an axe! I am sure that I don't have anything suitable. Good luck.