PDA

View Full Version : Winter springs off Sooke?

ratherbefishin
12-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Anybody been out?

kennyj
12-28-2014, 06:07 PM
There must have been 30 boats out there off the bluffs to otter point on boxing day around noon.
Must be something out there.
kenny

kyleklassen
12-28-2014, 07:48 PM
There must have been 30 boats out there off the bluffs to otter point on boxing day around noon.
Must be something out there.
kennybeer and no ol' ladys

steel_ram
12-28-2014, 08:21 PM
beer and no ol' ladys

Mostly that and the Sooke Boxing Day Derby. No friggin shopping either.

kennyj
12-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Mostly that and the Sooke Boxing Day Derby. No friggin shopping either.

That explaines it.
kenny

12-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Dad was out a week or so ago, boated a 12 and 10 had a few others as well... lost a good one.
Whirl bay

ratherbefishin
12-31-2014, 07:58 AM
A 10 and 12 lb winter spring is excellent,and as good as it gets,most are smaller than that.generally we've found winter spring fishing more predictable than summer fishing where the fish are on the move.Seals can be a real problem too.We're just waiting for a good day to get out,the wind has been pretty bad

12-31-2014, 09:41 AM
My dad is all over winter fish.... summer is too busy... winter fish taste better too..
him and his buddy have Beacher area dialed for winters.
Jus' Relax'n

ratherbefishin
12-31-2014, 05:57 PM
We've always fished out of Sooke harbour,off the bluffs generally being productive.Getting anywhere near Possession point and the island is an invitation to feed the seals.Course I remember the days when there was a $5 bounty on a seals nose and you couldn't get within 100 yards of one,let alone them following behind the boat....

01-02-2015, 09:32 AM
lol... i dont remmebr those days.....

Dad fishes Beacher because driving from Town here you can fish in most weather.. right deep in the bay. Altho now he is pretty good with knowing what the weather reports will do to where he fishes...

303savage
01-02-2015, 11:54 AM
I remember $5 a nose and the seals were spooky and a lot fewer than now.
I fished around Texada Island a few years ago and my friend said to to turn the clicker off on my fishing reel because there were LOTS of seals on the rocks and as soon as they heard a reel screaming they would all come off the rocks looking for the fish. I never seen seals boil off the rocks so fast and swim towards the boat.

Turned me into a believer.

ratherbefishin
01-04-2015, 05:46 PM
We picked up a couple,nothing big ,maybe 4 or 5 lb.but very fine table fare.Had a couple that didn't stick,couple more were released,but that's about it.Kind of spotty,winter spring fishing is generally pretty consistent.
Funny ,we were talking about the changes in gear and lures over the years,from Peetz roller rods and wooden recorder reels ,wire lines ,and planers to downriggers,from Tom Mack and and Wonder spoons and Lucky Louie plugs to herring strip (not sure it's even sold anymore) and now anchoveys and hoochies.Metal Dodgers to plastic Hotspots.Not sure if anyone 'bucktails'for coho anymore(trolling fast on the surface and pulling the rod back and forth)that was common in Cowichan Bay and Brentwood,before that fishery imploded,it used to be alive with grilse ,which kids caught with gangtrolls.I think the limit was 8,if I remember..Nobody thought you could catch sockeye until we got Hoochies.'putter' inboards have been replaced with larger faster inboard outboards,then 2stroke outboards and now 4stroke outboards have replaced them...

yeah,stuff has changed over the years,lots more restrictions but it's still good to get out on the water

303savage
01-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Not sure if anyone 'bucktails'for coho anymore(trolling fast on the surface and pulling the rod back and forth)

That was my favorite way of fishing for coho, use to get the odd spring that way too.
Haven't fished that way for years.

Jim Prawn
01-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Saw quite a few boats headin out from sunny shores today, must be something goin on. As for bucktailing, I have actually had some reasonable success on coho in the last few years trolling a bucktail in the propwash. Don't land many but always good for some excitement!
JP

01-21-2015, 11:01 AM
yep, bucktailing is alive and well...just done with an 8# now!