PDA

View Full Version : Montana Christmas Ornament Has Treehuggers in Tears

Ranger95
12-28-2014, 08:52 AM
The panties be a bunching...

http://missoulanews.bigskypress.com/Indy...e-stirs-outrage (http://missoulanews.bigskypress.com/IndyBlog/archives/2014/12/11/hung-and-christmas-decorated-coyote-stirs-outrage)

jtred
12-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Hunting is a passion of mine I love being in the bush and experiencing all that the wilderness has to offer. I learned from my father and he learned from his father and grandfather, one of the first things after safety was respect for wildlife. Hanging a coyote in a tree as a Christmas decoration or for any other reason than skinning it is disturbing and definitely does nothing but harm for the public image of hunters. Why would anyone do that? As a joke? Weird and very disturbing.

Sofa King
12-28-2014, 11:47 AM
that's disgusting and disrespectful.
and people then wonder why others group together and get against hunting.
there's absolutely no need to be flaunting a dead animal.
it's one thing to put a mount on your wall, but hanging a body in a tree to display is sick.
but, there's lots on here who will think it is awesome and funny.

Ranger95
12-28-2014, 12:13 PM
that's disgusting and disrespectful.
and people then wonder why others group together and get against hunting.
there's absolutely no need to be flaunting a dead animal.
it's one thing to put a mount on your wall, but hanging a body in a tree to display is sick.
but, there's lots on here who will think it is awesome and funny.

Ha ha ha ......!

http://i.imgur.com/Hz5heqn.jpg

If I'd known this would function as idiot repellent, I'd have hung these by the dozens around the places we have shot them..........

Clearly old boy, you have never hunted coyotes on private land (maybe you don't care about grouse, fawns or deer where you live - like we do eh?) -- You see, when we shoot then - we usually leave them hanging on a post or on a gate to let the farmer know that we have been on his land cleaning up the vermin! Most of the farms we hunt on the farmers have the "local trap liner" pick up the carcasses for the pelts.

Here's one we left for a farmer (whacked behind the ear with a 223) - next time we will add a big red bow!

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/f5104e4ba18eece22cf03e8d308e5789_zps4fe6c69d.jpg

jtred
12-29-2014, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Ranger95;1581885]Ha ha ha ......!

If I'd known this would function as idiot repellent, I'd have hung these by the dozens around the places we have shot them..........

Clearly old boy, you have never hunted coyotes on private land (maybe you don't care about grouse, fawns or deer where you live - like we do eh?) -- You see, when we shoot then - we usually leave them hanging on a post or on a gate to let the farmer know that we have been on his land cleaning up the vermin! Most of the farms we hunt on the farmers have the "local trap liner" pick up the carcasses for the pelts.

As a teen my friends and I took care of a lot of coyotes on the farms around ours. So yes I did quite a lot of predator hunting on private land and grew up on a farm. We sold the coyotes to a local native lady who trapped. Never heard of or ever seen this done. Mind you this was thirty years ago and times do change. I still find hanging a coyote from a tree in plain sight to be distasteful and not good advertising for us as hunters. The antis have enough ammunition we don't need to provide them with gruesome photographic opportunities. If we are going to be able to hunt in the future we will have to fight for this privilege(some would call this a right but if it were a right none of us would be so worried) and we need to keep the general public on our side, if we appear to be callous barbaric killers it does nothing to help our cause. By all means practise predator control, it is necessary, but more importantly think about how our actions reflect on all hunters. The court of public approval/acceptance is where this battle will be won or lost not sound science.

hunter fisher
12-29-2014, 10:38 AM
too funny! way to go on this guy for proudly displaying his kill

300H&H
12-29-2014, 10:49 AM
I think the only issue here, at least for the woman in the newspaper article, was the displaying of this coyote beside the "2nd busiest" road in the county. That and the fact she "loves" nature.
I wonder if it was not so prominently displayed, would she still have the same issues ?
As for me, I would not do something like this because I am always concerned about hunters "image" and the way we are perceived.

Fred1
12-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Yup, a bit over the top. That kind of stuff sure doesnt help maintain or build a positive image of hunters... not great fuel for any of our causes. thanks for posting...

Sleep Robber
12-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Ah cut the BS man, pretty sure there is somewhere "behind" the house you could have hung it where the farmer can still see it when he comes home. :roll:

Just another poor example of bad decision making before thinking about the bigger picture of things.

srupp
12-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Hmmm not cool..imo..wreckless display...hmmm try explaining that to a 6 year old..sheesh
Srupp

Gateholio
12-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Just done for shock value. Childish shit.

Steve W
12-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Just done for shock value. Childish shit.

What he said.

Ozone
12-30-2014, 08:03 AM
Not big on the display.

12-30-2014, 08:29 AM
To me it shows a lack of respect for the coyote. Sad.

Tīɡ
12-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Not for my taste.

avadad
12-30-2014, 11:38 AM
No problem with shooting coyotes…stupid move on the display…the hunting community does not need this kind of publicity.

David Heitsman
12-31-2014, 09:29 AM
When we kill coyotes on ranches in Utah we have left the carcasses near the gates for the rancher to see but I think the bow is a bit much and shouldn't be visible to a major road.

FirePower
12-31-2014, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=Ranger95;1581885]Ha ha ha ......!

As a teen my friends and I took care of a lot of coyotes on the farms around ours. So yes I did quite a lot of predator hunting on private land and grew up on a farm. We sold the coyotes to a local native lady who trapped. Never heard of or ever seen this done. Mind you this was thirty years ago and times do change. I still find hanging a coyote from a tree in plain sight to be distasteful and not good advertising for us as hunters. The antis have enough ammunition we don't need to provide them with gruesome photographic opportunities. If we are going to be able to hunt in the future we will have to fight for this privilege(some would call this a right but if it were a right none of us would be so worried) and we need to keep the general public on our side, if we appear to be callous barbaric killers it does nothing to help our cause. By all means practise predator control, it is necessary, but more importantly think about how our actions reflect on all hunters. The court of public approval/acceptance is where this battle will be won or lost not sound science.

Have you never been up the Kettle Valley from Westbridge. There is(or at least was in the 1970s) a bend in the road they called "Hanging Dog Curve". There was always a dead coyote in verious stages of decomposition hanging from a post there.

jtred
12-31-2014, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=jtred;1582278]

Have you never been up the Kettle Valley from Westbridge. There is(or at least was in the 1970s) a bend in the road they called "Hanging Dog Curve". There was always a dead coyote in verious stages of decomposition hanging from a post there.

I'm not sure if I've ever been there, my wife and I did drive tour through that area 18 years ago but I don't recall any specific curves. I grew up in N Alberta not in S. BC so maybe traditions don't transfer. Anyhow I still find the picture of a coyote decorated with a bow hanging in plain sight to be distasteful and not good for the image of hunters in general. This is just my opinion remember and far be it for me to tell others how to act, however things like this do reflect on all hunters, and I am a hunter.

Ranger95
12-31-2014, 06:20 PM
Soo a yote hanging in a tree is distasteful enough to make even a brave hearted hunters stomach turn - disrespectful to the animal, and dare I say - "childish" - but these are ok - heartily encouraged by some and ogled by all the others.......

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/cc17303473c552e748aed87b238d31f4_zps53d63fa8.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/cc46e4538cfa4cf2bde95db62e45db96_zpsb83d9535.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/1c7d2e19bd5275c0c5d2496d71d10767_zpsabaccc40.jpg

Hmmmmmmmm - makes you wonder how a six year old would view that - just how do you explain bambi been blown to hell - eeeeesh!

kinda f*cked up - if the truth be told - eh?

Sleep Robber
12-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Doesn't look like any of those deer are on the side of the road with a bow on them for all to see that drive by........

Seems to me, if you don't get what people are saying by now you never will, and a good guess would say your most definitely the non majority if you think making a Christmas ornament out of a dead Coyote is okay. :roll:

Daybreak
12-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Those deer are hung for a legitimate reason. All the six year olds I know grasp that and don't have the emotional connection to a deer like they do to a dog. If you get a kick out of the yote pictures good on you. I think they show bad judgement and red-neck mentality.

Drillbit
12-31-2014, 09:26 PM
It's a dead pest hanging. No different to me than a Sticky fly trap.

If a coyote was really ugly, most of you wouldn't care either. You only care because they are pretty cool looking, intelligent and elusive.

That's in Montana, American are a little different than Canadians and aren't as bubble wrapped.

When you're in the US and you're buying a hunting item at, lets say Walmart. At the counter they look at the item and then always ask you if you hunt. When you say "yes", they get excited and talk about their last hunting trip, or about their dad that just got something. They are proud of hunting down there.

In Canada, they don't even ask you if you hunt, they just look at you like a serial killer and think you should stick to fishing......fly fishing at that.......

And 6 year old seeing that.....my kids started helping butcher at 3 or 4, as did our ancestors.......

Gateholio
12-31-2014, 10:17 PM
Difference is the deer weren't hung to try to shock people.

Ranger95
01-01-2015, 07:24 AM
It's a dead pest hanging. No different to me than a Sticky fly trap.

If a coyote was really ugly, most of you wouldn't care either. You only care because they are pretty cool looking, intelligent and elusive.

That's in Montana, American are a little different than Canadians and aren't as bubble wrapped.

When you're in the US and you're buying a hunting item at, lets say Walmart. At the counter they look at the item and then always ask you if you hunt. When you say "yes", they get excited and talk about their last hunting trip, or about their dad that just got something. They are proud of hunting down there.

In Canada, they don't even ask you if you hunt, they just look at you like a serial killer and think you should stick to fishing......fly fishing at that.......

And 6 year old seeing that.....my kids started helping butcher at 3 or 4, as did our ancestors.......

Exactly.......

The big problem with hiding our kills out of sight is that it suddenly seems abnormal when some non hunter sees a kill.

If folks would see hunting kills displayed often as a matter of course - either in pride of a successful hunt, or to inform a landowner of progress of ridding a particular pest, it becomes a normal part of the landscape.

Heck, Hollywood keeps ramming all kinds of deviant behavior down our throats by constantly keeping it in front of us on tv, movies ,video games, etc.

The same can work to keep useful constructive activities, like hunting, in view daily until it become a normal healthy part of life.

I always laugh at the local hunter who hides his kill, because it's the politically correct thing to do - what a crock of shit! - All they are doing is bowing down to the antis and the David Suzukis of this world.......

hardnocks
01-01-2015, 08:29 AM
To me it shows a lack of respect for the coyote. Sad.

its a dead coyote respect it why.
what good has it dun us as gun owners and hunters to hide what we do.
be proud of what you do ...hang your coyote from a tree, tie moose horns on the brush guard of your truck.