PDA

View Full Version : The Bison and the Beard

Rhyno
12-28-2014, 08:31 AM
I can't believe it but I am down to a week of waiting until I depart for my long anticipated Bison hunt in Zone A.

I have spent the last few months reading every thread I can on bison hunting, making lists, scouring maps/google earth and most importantly growing a beard (since November anyway):grin:

I want to thank all the members that replied to my PM's and provided first hand advice and information.

I am going to do my best to produce a worthy read at the end of this adventure!
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae51/seibelr/IMG-20141208-00077_zps4fdafb02.jpg?t=1419693765

Rhyno
12-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Is been pretty quiet as of late about bison, any success?

Any recent intel regarding snow conditions, bison movement, etc?

Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ryan

gone hunting
12-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Hey Rhyno. I can't be of any help to you cuz our hunt is the 2nd half of January. I guess yours is the 1st. We've book a cabin at the "horse camp" if that means anything to you. It's s'posed to be right in the hunting area and cuts out a drive of a couple km each morning and evening. I've put a set of tracks on my quad and there freakin better be snow or I've wasted a pile of money. One of the big advantages of tracks over a skidoo is that they don't have to have snow...One thing I've heard about bison it that those big old bulls that everyone looks for are made of rather tough meat, so unless you want a pallet load of questionable hamburger it's best to go for a younger bull or cow. We'll be keeping hides but a shoulder mount is a little out of our price range. (having drained the hunting account for the tracks)
Hope you guys have a fantastic hunt and save a bull or two for us. Oh and clean the oil out of your bolt and bore. Go dry or graphite.

NorBC
12-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Best of luck! Looking forward to the read. The better beard you have, the better trophy you shall receive.

Rob
12-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Hope you have better luck than we did, They were few and far btw when we were there last year. (same time as you). How much snow is there now? We had about 8-10", temps dropped to about -15 to -20 at night and up to 4 to 5 degrees during the day, sleds didnt care much for the warmer weather. We cruised out towards the air strip checking for tracks/sign then started heading north towards Marion lake. lots of elk and some caribou. Give your self lots of time as the roads can be sketchy. We stayed in one of the cabins at the ranch.

Rob

12-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Hey Wishing you luck Rhyno, be safe out there, it can be a challenging hunt if not preparred. PM me if you need any info about the Halfway.

Good luck to ya, play safe ! Remember with the Biggys ... EVEN THE GRAVY's TOUGH !

CT

Rhyno
12-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Hope you have better luck than we did, They were few and far btw when we were there last year. (same time as you). How much snow is there now? We had about 8-10", temps dropped to about -15 to -20 at night and up to 4 to 5 degrees during the day, sleds didnt care much for the warmer weather. We cruised out towards the air strip checking for tracks/sign then started heading north towards Marion lake. lots of elk and some caribou. Give your self lots of time as the roads can be sketchy. We stayed in one of the cabins at the ranch.

Rob

I heard that the conditions last years were making for a difficult hunt. Suppose to be 2' of snow with more in the forcast, temp look like they are going to stay cool.

i am treating this as an adventure with my buddies, we are going to hunt hard, but am going to consider dropping a bison as a bonus.

srupp
12-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Hmmm good luck stay warm

Cheers
Steven

Krico
12-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Good luck, hunt hard and have fun. That hunt can be great experience.

gone hunting
12-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Does anyone know anything about the horse camp? ie are trucks allowed in there or do we have to shuttle everything in? Are there bunks or should we bring our cots. What's the wood stove like...if it's one of the tin can type "air tights" I like to dump a couple of bags of lava rock in the bottom to keep them from burning through.
Sorry Rhyno don't mean to high jack your thread.

Fella
12-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Friends were just up there on a group hunt, got a big bull after laying in the snow for 2.5 hours waiting for a shot. Sounds like the conditions were pretty good and they saw a fair amount of bison.

toad
12-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Ive stayed at horse camp, its about 25km from the ranch. There is 2 or 3 little cabins and 1 big one, the big cabin has 4 bunks and big loft filled mouse and packrat sh!t. I forget what the furnace was but I think a 45 gallon drum on its side. there was just very little fire wood...like none. we did end up falling a dead tree we also used our skimmers and brought some from the ranch with our sleds. the big cabin was tough to heat with crappy wood and when we did get it warm the ice from the roof would melt and run down the inside off the walls and then freeze. the first night one of our guys sleeping bag got soaked.no stove in the big cabin to cook on so bring your own. we looked in the little cabins which did have coleman stoves but i still wouldn't trust that they would be there. they had beds and a little wood stove, they seemed newer but were still in rough shape. if you could combine the 3 it would be a alright cabin. they all seemed to be picked from ....if I were to stay out there again and if no one else is there I would use 2 little cabins...they would take way less wood to heat, I would cook and store gear in one and sleep in the other......cover your beer and pop up good for the 25 km ride out most of ours froze in that in that hour ride.....have fun...also do go flying out of the cabin in the am...they could be standing right there

Rackmastr
12-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Good luck buddy!!! I'll be cheering from back home and hopeful you guys make it happen!!!

And of course....wish I was there!!!!

gone hunting
12-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks toad.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Congratulations on having the opportunity to enjoy an upcoming Bison Hunt Sir!

I, for one, will be looking forward to whatever you have to write about this Hunt in the future. I am sure that whatever happens, creating an interesting thread based on this Hunt will be no issue for you.

Lots O' Luck!

Getbent
12-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Good luck man...enjoy the show!!

moosehunter1
12-29-2014, 10:50 AM
We were up there in October & stayed in wall tents & used quads. Horse camp cabins are what Toad explained, 2 small cabins & 1 large & there was no firewood then & lots of mouse shit, & are 25 klms in. Bigger cabin is cleaner but would be harder to heat. All cabins have solar panels. We had a group hunt & saw very few bison but were lucky to get 2. Learn the gutless method. It was a good time and a good hunt. ATV tracks would work good, especially if there's little snow, but make sure you check bearings on your quad before you put them on. I've had Tatous 4s for my Rhino for 4 years and am speaking from experience. Good luck on your hunt.

shed-hunter1
12-29-2014, 01:05 PM
was told you have to cut your own fire wood from now on ranch doesn't supplie any its up to the hunters etc all the cabins are full of mouse shit and not all of them have cook stoves

Rhyno
12-29-2014, 01:49 PM
We are staying a Tomter Ranch, sounds like it might be a step up from horse camp:smile:

BiG Boar
12-29-2014, 03:40 PM
I've put a set of tracks on my quad and there freakin better be snow or I've wasted a pile of money. One of the big advantages of tracks over a skidoo is that they don't have to have snow...

Unfortunately your quad with tracks can't leave the designated trail. Snowmobiles can. Rent a sled for 8 days $600 from variable rentals in Kamloops.

gone hunting
12-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the info re horse camp and quads, tracks and mouse shit. The firewood situation's not a surprise, we'll be bringing chainsaws and an axe...the cook stove thing is also something we'll be prepared for. Sounds like after a bit of house cleaning we'd be better off in one of the smaller cabins or for that matter maybe we should bring our wall tent. Still wondering if it's possible to drive our truck to the horse camp to unload or do we have to shuttle everything in by quad and toboggan.

mudbud
12-30-2014, 07:42 AM
You cannot legally drive your pickup to horsecamp. Check the maps. You will be ferrying your gear from the ranch.

bc traper
12-30-2014, 08:02 AM
As of this year you can drive to horse camp but I dout if you will be able to due to road conditions When we were there in November there was a truck half way up That was as far as he could get

mudbud
12-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the info re horse camp and quads, tracks and mouse shit. The firewood situation's not a surprise, we'll be bringing chainsaws and an axe...the cook stove thing is also something we'll be prepared for. Sounds like after a bit of house cleaning we'd be better off in one of the smaller cabins or for that matter maybe we should bring our wall tent. Still wondering if it's possible to drive our truck to the horse camp to unload or do we have to shuttle everything in by quad and toboggan.

I suggest stopping at McElhanney on your way through Ft St John and getting a proper map. You need to know where you can and can't take that quad. If I recall correctly, you can't go much past horse camp in a quad anyhow.

gone hunting
12-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks. I'm starting to look forward to next year when I don't have a buffalo tag so I can get back to something I'm familiar with like hunting moose.

gone hunting
12-30-2014, 09:51 AM
If the cabins are in such rough shape maybe we should just go with the wall tent. Any thoughts?

gone hunting
12-30-2014, 09:56 AM
I thought the decision between going with a quad or a snow machine was a matter of snow depth not regulations. How do hunters get around in the early season when there's no snow.

toad
12-30-2014, 12:25 PM
its 50/50 on bringing the wall tent in. you might be more comfortable in "your" wall tent cuz its home. but then its one more thing bring...I wouldn't bring one if I was going back I would stay at the cabins...don't count on driving in I was in there this time of the year and there wasn't a chance for a pick up....someone tried in a huge jacked up chev and barely got off the ranch.I don't think quads are able to go past horse camp and that's where we did most of our hunting, way less people. It took us 3 trips on 3 sleds with 3 skimmers to get all our gear in. don't forget water, the bison will be from the highway all the back. (I just seen 2 on the highway 2 weeks ago)

gone hunting
12-30-2014, 12:38 PM
OK here's where we are at this point. I've got the tracks on the quad and paid for and I'll get lots of use out of them shuttling gear and firewood. I've cancelled the cabin and the money saved will more than pay for the skidoo and toboggan I've booked at Variable Rentals in Kamloops. I like my tent and any mouse shit will be fresh. The other 2 guys (my son and son in law) are the tag holders and they will be on the skidoo. We'll probably set up near the horse camp.

toad
12-30-2014, 12:49 PM
I would still pay to cross the ranch tho...

Buck
12-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Wall tent is fine there were a couple of tents past the ranch when we were there.Some nice camping spots out there by water.We payed to cross the ranch i thought it was money well spent since we were staying at a hotel in Pink Mountain and drove in daily.Snow conditions were iffy on the round about way around the ranch.Take lots of gas .

gone hunting
12-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Yeah we'll be paying the trespass fee and bringing plenty of fuel 360-400 Lt (100 gallons)

scuba
12-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Just got back from there last night. No problem going around ranch with a quad or sled. Definately too much snow to get a truck past ranch unless you chain up and chew up the road. Sled and skimmer seems to be the best option to cover the country though. Helpful hint... Put some miles on the boots in the timber ;) good luck and stay warm

BiG Boar
12-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Scuba. Need pics

Skull Hunter
01-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Good luck out there. I just got back late last night. Spent 10 Days hunting hard, covering ground on both the snow machines and on foot. Glassed hillside after hillside and all of the valley bottoms we could. In 10 days we didn't see a single bit of fresh sign. Lots of older stuff up two bit creek, but not much else. While there we heard of 2 being shot, 1 of them by luck of the draw as it walked out onto the trail ahead of hunter, and the other was a single fresh calf track that was followed into the bush. I have a feeling the calfs mother was shot earlier on, and was just wondering around aimlessly by its self.

Weather was good but was +8 when we left yesterday. Trail around the ranch is easy, and Tomters cabins are nice and comfortable.

Elkaholic1977
01-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Rooting for you guys!! good luck!

44inchStone
01-01-2015, 04:08 PM
From what I know and have heard. You are not allowed to take and pick up past the trappers cabin on the left once you go past the ranch.
There IS a regulation about Motor vehicles, I think its the 1000lb rule so basically you can take a quad or side by side but no trucks.
There is also a NO Motor vehicle sign past where the cabins are in the valley. Signs are easy to see. Good luck

bc traper
01-01-2015, 09:24 PM
you can drive to horse camp check the regs You still will not be able to do it at this time of year

Sitkaspruce
01-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Big dump of snow up here right now and still snowing!!! We are supposed to get 15-20cm tonight. Lots of wind as well, so there will be some big drifts.

Supposed to be cold next week

Freezing rain in the central part of BC, so watch the roads!!

Good luck to everyone heading up!!

Cheers

SS

Rhyno
01-04-2015, 08:09 AM
It's "bison eve tonight!", can't belive I depart tomorrow for my long awaited hunt! I can't say that the recent reports are super promising, but I do know of some recent sighting.

Gonna giver our best anyway.

Ride Red
01-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Drive safe and good luck.

gone hunting
01-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Have a great hunt. We'll be arriving in the area as early as possible on the 15th. We'll have a sled and a quad with tracks both towing skids. If you see our camp stop by for a chat and an adult beverage.

Sitkaspruce
01-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Cold up here today, was -30 last night. We got approx. 10" of snow a couple days ago. Supposed to stay cold all week.

Watch the roads, they are pretty bad right now and there is lots of traffic.

Drive safe and good luck!!

Cheers

SS

Rhyno
01-05-2015, 06:47 AM
Well the adventure is off to a rocky start so far! Suppose to meet up with one of the guys in Golden, but he is trapped by a hwy closure. Pretty crappy roads around here, I think we will be on the clear once we hit Alberta, but gotta get there first!

Will have to see when the hwy opens up.

Rackmastr
01-05-2015, 07:10 AM
Well the adventure is off to a rocky start so far! Suppose to meet up with one of the guys in Golden, but he is trapped by a hwy closure. Pretty crappy roads around here, I think we will be on the clear once we hit Alberta, but gotta get there first!

Will have to see when the hwy opens up.

Sounds about right for a winter hunting adventure!! Hell, any hunting adventure needs a few curveballs in there...haha.

Good to get one of them outta the way on Day 1....and a heck of a lot better than 30km back on a trail!! Good luck guys!

JustinG
01-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Was there in October. I suggest you not try and get your truck there. There were bunks in ours but only 2 of 4 had foam. Stove in ours looked like an old oil drum. Had solar power for a single bulb but bulb was burn out. Good luck!

Ry151
01-05-2015, 02:36 PM
As of this year you can drive to horse camp but I dout if you will be able to due to road conditions When we were there in November there was a truck half way up That was as far as he could get

you can drive to horse camp check the regs You still will not be able to do it at this time of year
where in the regs can one find this? All maps and information ive seen shows restrictions of 500kg vehicles that starts just past the ranch. Is this a change to the regs?

gone hunting
01-05-2015, 11:04 PM
We're bringing our wall tent, wood stove, etc... don't have to worry about how well maintained the cabins are. Kept thinking we should bring this and that just in case...well **** it, we're bringing our own and if it doesn't work, it's our fault.

lip_ripper00
01-05-2015, 11:19 PM
One thing I forgot that would have nice was a toilet seat, none of the shitters had them. One other I took that someone else suggested was a tiger torch, we where up the last week of November -35 was the norm, cargo trailer was frozen solid.

Darksith
01-06-2015, 01:42 PM
One thing I forgot that would have nice was a toilet seat, none of the shitters had them. One other I took that someone else suggested was a tiger torch, we where up the last week of November -35 was the norm, cargo trailer was frozen solid.
get some high density styrofoam...warms up instantly

Rhyno
01-16-2015, 04:02 PM
When the 2014 LEH results FINALLY became available online I was shocked to see I not only pulled my “guaranteed” goat draw but a shared bison hunt in zone A from Jan 1-15. To say I was excited is an understatement. I spent the next 5 ½ months doing everything I could to research and prepare for this hunt. I read every thread available on the subject, PM’d many people who had done the hunt in the past, bought maps, scoured google earth and recorded coordinates of little hidden lake’s and clearing. I thought and talked about this hunt to a point I am sure I drove my wife, kids, buddies and co-workers crazy!

Day 1
Though it seemed like it would never come, our planned departure date of Jan 5 finally arrived, only to find BC, particularly the Okanagan under a blanket of snow! Roads were dangerous, passes were closed, basically not an ideal day to travel 18 hours! After much discussion it was decided one buddy and myself would take advantage of the clear road in Alberta and drive that route while the other would drive through BC once the roads improved. The only problem was he was bring 2 or the sleds and most of the gear. After picking up a few extra pieces of equipment we departed at noon. Once we reached Alberta it was smooth sailing all the way to Whitecourt where we decided to call it a day . As with most oil towns accommodation was hard to come by, we ended up finding a place that I would describe as sketchy at best.
Day 2
Hit the road by 6 and made our way up to Pink Mountain. The roads were not as nice as they were the day before so the drive took longer than anticipated. Once through Pink Mountain, we took the wrong road to Tomter Ranch and ended up a ways down the Cypress, we figured out we were not in the right area and eventually found our way to home for the next 8 days. We met with Helgie upon arrival and were shown to our cabin. Pretty basic but suited our needs, only complain was the wood that was supplied for the first few days was green and smoked us out the first few nights! At our request the owner supplied some better wood and we had that place cook’n each night.
Day 3
Up well in advance of sunrise, however we waited until it was light so we could find the trail around the ranch. Since we only had one sled until our buddy arrived we doubled on the old Tundra and navigated around the Blueberry Ranch. Turns out a Tundra was not designed for two people, especially when one exceeds 200lb! It was a bumpy ride and killer on the back. None the less we were excited to be hunting bison! Almost right away we cut some fresh tracks, we followed them into the busy only to discover we were tracking caribou….rookie mistake! We hiked, glassed, snowmobiled around and found the main trail. While checking it out we saw a group zip past us with a bison in the skimmer! (turned out to be MudBud’s group….congrats again!) I thought that looked like a good sign! We headed back to the ranch as we received a text that our buddy had made it. We talked to two groups that day who informed us that we had arrived for the warm weather, still -25 at the time, guess it was a cold one the week before.

Rhyno
01-16-2015, 04:03 PM
I was informed by one of the younger guys we ran into from the island that all he had to do was get within 1100yards of a bison and it was going down ;)

Day 4

Finally, we have all our equipment and sleds, it’s time to get serious! On the trail around we stopped to look at some fresh wolf tracks (not a rare sighting it turns out!), one buddy glances up on the hill side above us and see’s two wolves in the morning light. With the range finder buried we agree that it’s about 350yards. At the shot both wolves run away very much unscathed. I don’t know whether it was the light or the slope be we SERIOUSLY overestimated the distance by 100yards! My bud put the bulleted about 8” above it’s back…dang, ok time to keep that range finder handy. We made our way to the main trail and climbed up a number of slopes to glass. We saw elk, everywhere! You would be surprised how your mind can convince you a feeding elk a long way away is a bison until it lifts its head;) Our second day of hunting came to a conclusion with zero sights or sign of the elusive bison.

Day 5 and 6

Much of the same as day 4; hiking, glassing, sledding….zero, I mean zero sign. We explored up by two bit and almost to Robb Lake. Hiked in the a few of the hidden lakes and meadows I had google earthed, glassed hill sides, clearings, slopes, everthing…..elk, moose, caribou sign….still no bison.
Day 7
At this point we were starting to get a little discouraged. No one we talked to on the trail had even seen a track, let alone a bison! Even though the crowds were starting to thin, there we still a lot of people pounding the main trail. We decided to trailer up and head up the cypress and explore the Genesis Rd, which is the opposite side of the Halfway River than the majority of people go. We found miles of trail that hadn’t see a sled since the last snow fall a number of days before, we sled and hiked along the river, though thick trees and open “moosey” meadows…..again, lots of moose, fresh wolf tracks on over every sled trail and road, but no bison sign….until we were driving out of the Cypress back to camp we found fresh bison tracks crossing the road that had not been there in the morning. This sign had bolstered our spirits and we made a plan to head back there the next day. We knew that the tracks were close to the boarder so we broke out our maps back at the cabin….turns out the bugger crossed out of the zone a boundry!

Day 8

The track we found the day before did not cross back into our zone so we headed back up the Genesis Rd and explored more country, including sledding a number of km up and down the river….defeated we headed back to the cabin.

Rhyno
01-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Day 9

At this point we were pretty much out of options and decided to go up to the northern limits of the zone by Lily Lake, we found some beautiful habitat, took a trail that led us to the back of Two Bit Creek, but again we found no sign. Dejected we decided to pull the pin and head home a day early, I had already been gone for a while and had to go away for work the day after I got home. I took advantage of the extra day with the family.

Day 10

It was hard for me to leave knowing I was heading home on this once in a lifetime opportunity empty handed. I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure and had a blast with two great buddies. I believe we hunted hard and did everything we could to be successful. Throughout the trip we talked to a number of groups and didn’t not talk to one who had even seen a bison track. I don’t know what to think, if they were hiding in the thick bush surely we would have cut a track while hiking through it to the river, or sledding the narrow side trails. It is possible that the snow, hunting pressure or wolves pushed the majority out of the zone. I am not complaining or making up excuses, just really surprised we didn’t even see a track after hunting so hard. I only hope that my wife or daughter pull this tag in the future, you can bet they will be going for an earlier draw date!

I would like to thank everyone on here who replied to my PM’s and provided information, a few such as Big bore and MudBud went above and beyond to help me, for that I am appreciative.

My apologies if you followed this thread in hope of seeing a dead bison at the end! I will try to post up some picts once I get them, they are on my buddies camera’s.

NorBC
01-16-2015, 04:16 PM
It's a tough one rhyno. Don't beat yourself up! Always have the memories.

Everett
01-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Damn there goes my Bison steak:cry: had the onions and garlic on standby. Well that sucks I had my fingers crossed for you to bad the wolf got away.

Krico
01-16-2015, 05:27 PM
I've heard similar reports from buddies who are legit hard core hunters the last couple years. It was tough when I went a few years ago, jumped one group of about 6 and made it count. Otherwise our trip was pretty similar...
it was a great experience but based on what I've heard since I think I'll spend my time hunting other critters in future.
at least you had a good time!

toad
01-17-2015, 12:20 AM
that sucks....

Stone Sheep Steve
01-17-2015, 07:05 AM
Well, at least you still have the beard.

Thanks for for taking us along on the adventure. You hunted hard and gave it your best. It only takes that split second for things to change. Sometimes that happens .....and sometimes it doesn't.
Glad you are home safe. That's the most important part.

SSS

Rhyno
01-17-2015, 07:30 AM
Well, at least you still have the beard

SSS

Not true, as soon as my wife saw me she said "have fun shaving"...hahaha

Rackmastr
01-17-2015, 09:02 AM
Thanks for sharing the adventure buddy! Was pulling for ya back home hoping you'd get it done! Cool adventure!

albravo2
01-17-2015, 09:34 AM
I like the good stories that don't always end with a kill photo. They remind me I'm not alone;-)

Great story, good times.

Skull Hunter
01-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Too bad you guys couldn't connect. Sounds exactly like our hunt at the end of Dec.

barry1974w
01-19-2015, 10:35 AM
That's too bad you guys didn't score, but at least you had a good trip and got to see some new country. With my new job the only days I can get off are the last few days of our hunt. So we're leaving next Monday, hopefully some bison have wandered back into the zone by then, wish us luck.

Barry

mudbud
01-19-2015, 04:00 PM
That's too bad you guys didn't score, but at least you had a good trip and got to see some new country. With my new job the only days I can get off are the last few days of our hunt. So we're leaving next Monday, hopefully some bison have wandered back into the zone by then, wish us luck.

Good luck!

44inchStone
01-20-2015, 08:50 AM
I heard a few years back that there were tons of salt and mineral blocks dumped in the spring way to the south of that zone to try and push the bison off the ranch and out of that whole zone.
Looks like it worked!. Years ago I was lucky enough to draw that area and saw literally hundreds of Bison. Went back last year and hunted for two weeks and only say 6. Not good. At that time it was bull only so maybe the killing of ANY bison has something to do with it too?? I'm no wildlife biologist but sad to see it go from plentyfull to damn near nothing.
Too bad you didn't connect. Great story and I bet you had a great time. A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work!!

Elkchaser
01-20-2015, 10:06 AM
might be the new normal for zone A. Buddy got tag last year for late December and got invite (with my two sleds). Couple feet of snow with enuf each day that we "broke trail" early 4 mornings in a row - running 40k west of ranch plus meadow trails at back end hoping to cut tracks. Crossed river at 40 km on first day, no trail access beyond. Hooked up with another group and made plan for day two to cross again a few hundred metres further east (Google showed we could link to trail with a little effort). Guy in other group sunk his sled in 2 feet of water, -25 degrees. Two of them got sled out pretty easily, cranked water out of cylinders and she fired up. Survival mode kicked in and I built a big fire for guy to warm/dry out gear then they were off to camp. My partner's reaction to all this made me decide crossing river no longer an option. Cut solo bison track morning of 3rd day and snowshoed couple Km's in -40 till hit high riverbank and glasses tracks crossing river and going downstream over a km - back to sleds. Tag holder had exceeded his lifetime sled kms on first day so limited us to trails. worked hard to find the owner of solo track down stream - no luck. Same on 4th day, then made call to pack up and head home. While at ranch group showed up and went up valley first day, then east for elk draw on second day. They were packing up so we visited. Turned out they'd connected with a pilot buddy who informed them big bison herd was holed up in isolated valley between zone a and b. Friends borrowed my sleds last month for same hunt - same result although more sign was seen up two bit creek. Seems like the days of cabin/airstrip bison might be up for awhile and we need to re-think our efforts. Wonder how zone b guys/gals have made out last couple years? Putting in for 22nd time this year, still want that tag! Other than total cost it's an awesome adventure.

bcsteve
01-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Did anybody get lucky this year? I don't remember reading any successful story?

moosehunter1
01-21-2015, 12:15 AM
We got lucky on our October group hunt, I got a big cow and my partner got a calf. We hunted hard for 10 days and got them on the 9th day. These were the only bison we saw on our trip, they were in a small group. It was a good time and a hunt of a lifetime.

ajeatoo
01-22-2015, 12:44 PM
Yup, we got a cow at the end of November after 7 days of hunting.

jweber_10
01-22-2015, 06:35 PM
We got two shared hunts this year and were able to punch four tags we went in November mine and my dads both made B&C great weather great times, We only seen four bison and all of them were mature bulls the one my dad shot had old 12 guage shot on his ass and old bullet in his hump and a old broadhead in his neck hes got some character for sure mine was the stud big bull 29" outside to outside, I was just happy to get out for a week hunting with the family

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/jweber_10/Facebook/2014%20Bison%20Hunt/10731007_10154853369495710_2621233653912501989_n.j pg (http://s79.photobucket.com/user/jweber_10/media/Facebook/2014%20Bison%20Hunt/10731007_10154853369495710_2621233653912501989_n.j pg.html)

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/jweber_10/Facebook/2014%20Bison%20Hunt/1012962_10154853369145710_8715697598078786925_n.jp g (http://s79.photobucket.com/user/jweber_10/media/Facebook/2014%20Bison%20Hunt/1012962_10154853369145710_8715697598078786925_n.jp g.html)

Rackmastr
01-22-2015, 10:21 PM
Awesome pics and some amazing trophies!!!!

3g outdoors
02-04-2015, 10:45 AM
I believe you are the fellow that i loaned the stove too,Thanks for dropping it off and my tent piece i forgot.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
02-04-2015, 09:36 PM
Rhyno,

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to report your story here. That is still a fine time and a great thing to do, regardless of harvest/lack thereof! You may well have the opportunity to Hunt Bison again at some time in the future, whether that be in B.C. or elsewhere Sir. I appreciate the read.

Thanks also to moosehunter1, ajeatoo in addition to jweber_10 for sharing your words and the images that you have. Very much appreciated. Majestic animals and beautiful country!

Congratulations, all!

Saskhunter
02-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Great stories and a great read. Thanks to all for the input. Love the pics, didn't realize how big those bison are

Buck
02-05-2015, 04:08 PM
Nice Bull Jweber .

kobus
07-22-2016, 11:20 PM
Hello awesome Pic!! i got a draw in 7-57A this nov. looking for any advice as this is first time in area and for draw.

Mike