PDA

View Full Version : Death-Run

Sofa King
12-27-2014, 03:49 PM
so, what's the average distance your deer have ran after you've arrowed them?
farthest?
shortest?
I've seen a couple drop dead in their tracks, on the telyvision of course, those are pretty sweet.

I've had one deer, that I shot right through the pump-house and lungs with my rifle, and it went on a dead sprint for about 60 yards before piling up.
it's amazing what their adrenaline can do.
shit, a human drops and curls up when they stub a toe.

coach
12-27-2014, 04:01 PM
I've killed 5 with arrows. 20-15-80-60-25. The damage from a broad head is amazing when placed through the lungs.

Spy
12-27-2014, 04:20 PM
I've killed 5 with arrows. 20-15-80-60-25. The damage from a broad head is amazing when placed through the lungs.
I agree with you coach the damage is unbelievable, Depending on the broad head some do more damage then others. Ive seen over a dozen shot with Grimreaper broad heads and they dont make it past 15 yards! Ive seen more deer run allot further with a bullet through the lungs. That said hit them wrong and they are going a long way.

Big Lew
12-27-2014, 04:42 PM
I'm not positive at how many, but I've just recalled 16 for sure that I've arrowed.
The shortest distance was about 20 yds, the longest I can recall was about 225 yds.
The norm has been about 50-80 yds.

greybark
12-27-2014, 10:46 PM
Hey Sofa king , I understand the intent of your post but there are to many varients involved . There are studies that give reasonable answers .
Some of the variables are exact location of arrow strike , angle of strike , arrow composition , type of broadhead , type of bow , deer gender , deer age , condition , weather , etc etc .
Here are some general stats I`ve encountered . Maximums -Upper double lung - 80 yds , angle upper\lower lung -60 yds, lower double lung - 40 , heart - 20 , liver and lung - 300 yds , one lung - 400 yds . The averages generally are half the maximums and the maximums are very few .
Interestingly these distances are very similiar with B Bear , elk , moose , BT Deer , Caribou and Pronghorn .
Hope this helps .
Cheers
Hope this helps .

The Hermit
12-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Personal experience has been from two deer dropping on the spot from spine shots to having one that I gut shot that went 200 yards and five hours later and was still alive until my buddy decapitated it with his zombie killer sickle knife! :shock: Most have been between 20 - 40 yards.

greybark
12-27-2014, 11:38 PM
Personal experience has been from two deer dropping on the spot from spine shots to having one that I gut shot that went 200 yards and five hours later and was still alive until my buddy decapitated it with his zombie killer sickle knife! :shock: Most have been between 20 - 40 yards.

Finishing off a still alive Deer by decapitation is not recomemded unless it`s absolutly necessary . It`s slow and painfull and I`m surprised you seem to be promoting this .
Cheers .

NorBC
12-28-2014, 11:30 AM
I've had a bear go only around 10 yards before, but he used most his energy/momentum spinning in circles wondering what happened. Generally everything for me has been around 30 yards. Using 100gr montec carbons, and usually a 300 - 400 arrow.

REMINGTON JIM
12-28-2014, 11:36 AM
I shot a 250 lb russian bore with a carbon arrow with a 100 gr Muzzy - it was a 80 lb bow and i shot him at 20 yards and it just went through him and the muzzy exited out the far side with the shot angled thru both lungs - that bore went about 300 yards to his den and was still alive a 1/2 hr later when i finished tracking him . the hide on him was nearly 1/2 thick and tuff as hell - He did NOT bleed a lot ! RJ

J_T
12-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Greybark is right. There are a lot of variables.

Speaking strictly of deer. I've arrowed lots. Only a poor shot which hits the spine will drop a deer in its tracks. Usually if the deer jumps the string and you get lucky this can happen. I've taken two this way. Regardless of the success guys post on here, frontal and spine shots are low percentage shots.

The usual 'death run' lasts about 6 seconds. A good shot through the heart might shorten that time, but normally a heart, heart lung, or double lung will allow the animal to move for 6 seconds. The distance then, is relative. Normally about 40 yards.

Liver shots are difficult to determine. Sometimes the animal will bleed out in under 100 metres and expire, but there are times they can go forever and it might be a very similar shot.

A single lung hit animal will have enough momentum to cover 100's of metres in a short period of time (+/- 500m) before bedding. It will eventually succumb, but it can be a difficult track.

A shot back of the lungs in the abdominal cavity needs 5 - 6 hours before it will succumb. They can be recovered, but they are a difficult track. Particularly if the fatty tissues plug up the entrance/exit wound.

hotload
12-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Over the many bloodtracks my dog has tracked in approx. 3 years it has come to fact that of course the poorly hit animals run forever, but the so called, "I hit him perfectly in the lungs shot", have proved to be the longest track sometimes reaching many kilometers and many hours of tracking on the following day to find the expired animal. The sometimes exuberance and excitement of the so called perfect shot has allowed the hunter to think he can go and just pick up his animal, but instead of stopping at the first blood bed and waiting it just gets pushed farther and farther, but upon finding the animal and examining the shot placement only to find out it was indeed a one lunger. Gut shots are by far the worst tracks.....................

Downwind
12-30-2014, 10:14 PM
In my limited success of two bow kills both went less than 60 yards. If hit properly they won't go far. Gotta love the big entrance holes.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Zanelike/Hunting%20trip%202014/Huntingtrip2014entrancewound_zpsa0aad9b6.jpg

Edge
01-15-2015, 07:50 AM
Finishing off a still alive Deer by decapitation is not recomemded unless it`s absolutly necessary . It`s slow and painfull and I`m surprised you seem to be promoting this .
Cheers .
I agree...it's not a method I've even considered in my past/present or future. Were there mitigating circumstances ? I don't agree with it but maybe sharing the scenario might help me understdand..
cheers

Riverbc
01-15-2015, 08:50 AM
all my shots on deer have been double lungers. Farthest one ran was 60 yards, the shortest was 12 yards. (Biggest deer too)...the others have been 30-40 yards.

killman
01-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Pigs usually go about 60'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mUyQqJi1_DY

Liveforthehunt
01-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Two both withing 60 yards one was shot a bit high still double lung