PDA

View Full Version : GPS - Backroads Map

Festus
12-27-2014, 10:47 AM
I know lots of people down load the Backroads maps but not sure why. I don't own a gps but am curious as to the reason. I thought most gps' came with a too map. Thanks.

randymac
12-27-2014, 11:11 AM
most of the base topo maps that come with your GPS dont show much detail , typically only major roads and elevation contour lines.
Backroads mapbooks show a lot of the logging roads in our province but they are usually a year or more behind in showing any new roads but they are a lot better than whats on the typical gps.

randymac
12-27-2014, 11:13 AM
ps
as far as I know only Garmin gps units work with the Backroads mapbooks sd cards

Festus
12-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Thanks. It seems Garmin is the most poular brand as far as GPS's go and would be the brand I would acquire.

Rob
12-28-2014, 05:47 AM
if one looks close you can find the backroads map for free online, instead of spending $150.

Gun Dog
12-28-2014, 09:55 AM
There's several free and not free topo maps available but Backroads has the most complete set of FSRs and trails. It's also copy protected so you still need a license key to use it.

Given all the money I've spent on truck, camper, quads, trailer, fuel and beer the $150 for a good set of maps is an incidental expense.

swampthing
12-28-2014, 10:12 AM
I hate taking my phone hunting but the hunt buddy maps available for that phone app absolutely kick ass over backroad maps. Detail is incredible. Uses up a phone battery pretty quick though.

Edge
03-30-2015, 06:20 AM
I think I'll look at the Ipad mini with a badelf gsp module then the Huntbuddybc will work with this config

2chodi
03-30-2015, 06:45 AM
I think I'll look at the Ipad mini with a badelf gsp module then the Huntbuddybc will work with this config

You will need to get the mini with the cellular option.

Edge
03-30-2015, 06:51 AM
You will need to get the mini with the cellular option. thanks for that...out of curiousity how does that make a difference?

2chodi
03-30-2015, 07:34 AM
thanks for that...out of curiousity how does that make a difference?

The version with wifi only does not actually have GPS capabilities. The wifi version cannot provide as accurate a location.

Go down to the location section on this page: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini-3/specs/

You do not need to install a SIM card for the GPS to work though, but if your maps need to be continually downloaded, you will need to get the iPad on the Internet through a SIM or by tethering.

if you need a new phone then an iPhone 6, 6 plus, or Android equivalent may be a better option.

Edge
04-04-2015, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE=2chodi;1624776]The version with wifi only does not actually have GPS capabilities. The wifi version cannot provide as accurate a location.

Go down to the location section on this page: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini-3/specs/

You do not need to install a SIM card for the GPS to work though, but if your maps need to be continually downloaded, you will need to get the iPad on the Internet through a SIM or by tethering.

if you need a new phone then an iPhone 6, 6 plus, or Android equivalent may be a better option.[/

I've been looking at a "Badelf" to go with an Ipad Mini....which will support the HuntBuddyBC app. This is according to John McLellan who is some kind of management at BadElf. I'm striving to accomplish basically a chartplotter that will pin my location in very close proximity for hunting those narrow hunt zones within MU's .