PDA

View Full Version : Getting skunked on a guided hunt

rides bike to work
12-26-2014, 07:18 PM
I have never been on a guided hunt and might never even though I dream of Africa. What is the success rate on guided hunts you have been on local or abroad. I couldn't imagine dropping $15,000 or most likely more on a hunt and be skunked.would like to hear members experiences.

RBTW

Sofa King
12-26-2014, 08:23 PM
how quick until this becomes a allocation/goabc thread?

Crazy_Farmer
12-26-2014, 08:28 PM
It's called hunting not killing. Nothing's guaranteed but on two trips abroad I've had nothing but great hunts. In Mexico.

1/2 slam
12-26-2014, 08:42 PM
I've done 2 trips to South Africa (Successful) 1 to Alaska (successful) 1 to Wyoming (Successful) 1 to NWT (Successful) 1 to Mexico (Successful) My only un-successful trip was to Arizona.

Daybreak
12-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Pay your money, take your chances. Pretty much like everything else in life.

chilcotin hillbilly
12-26-2014, 08:59 PM
If you are planning on going to Africa it is a slam dunk. do your homework and hire a good PH, do your job with your rifle and it will be a slam dunk. I don't know anyone that thinks Africa is tough hunting, 10 year old can do it.
North American Game I would expect 75 % success rates. Choosing an outfitter that is honest up front is biggest hurdle. To many guys selling hopes and dreams and not reality.

By the way I am an evil member of the GOABC.

riflebuilder
12-27-2014, 11:14 AM
I have been on 4 guided hunts 2 successful 2 not. One the Caribou just didn't show up due to warm weather and the other was a bad hunt/outfitter, the other two were great. So do your homework get references and expect to hunt hard for a successful trip.

okas
12-28-2014, 11:13 AM
This year my old buddy and I hunted hard and lucky we tagged out . Old guys now but far from blind we agreed on one thing this year . WE ARE GLAD WE ARE NOT GUIDES NOW