PDA

View Full Version : Float plane landing distance?

Caribou_lou
12-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Merry Christmas everyone

I am currently looking at a lake for sheep hunting and I am wondering what is the smallest area you need to land a float plane. I have tried to research it will little success. I am aware there is many different variables (wind, tree height, elevation) that determine the size also.

Any info will be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

Fred1
12-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Has nothing to do with the lake... its how big the pilots balls are! Choose your airline in the area you want to go and most likely they will know what lakes you are wanting to land on. Ask a few questions and you will soon rule out some of the ponds.

Caribou_lou
12-26-2014, 11:50 AM
It is a unnamed lake, would you just pass on coordinates and allow them to check it out? The lake is also just under a km in length. And approximately 250 meters wide.

Harv
12-26-2014, 11:51 AM
landed on a lake 900 m long last summer, in a 206, the tough part is taking off heavy. u may be able to land on one lake but not necesarily take off on the same one.

Fred1
12-26-2014, 11:54 AM
I looked into a similar scenario a couple years ago. I talked to the plane dude and he knew exactly what puddle I was talking about. Turns out he couldn't land there but he had some other options (then I couldn't go... stupid full time job....) Best to call the guys who fly in the area, they will help you out.

Caribou_lou
12-26-2014, 11:55 AM
We would be taking two flights out if needed. We will also have Caribou tags in hand. Did you feel the 900 meter lake was plenty of room or really pushing it?

Caribou_lou
12-26-2014, 11:57 AM
I looked into a similar scenario a couple years ago. I talked to the plane dude and he knew exactly what puddle I was talking about. Turns out he couldn't land there but he had some other options (then I couldn't go... stupid full time job....) Best to call the guys who fly in the area, they will help you out.

I will be shortly after New Years.

Harv
12-26-2014, 11:59 AM
the pilot said thats pushing it, some of those smaller lakes will rise and fall quickly, it may look one size on google earth but be another size when you get there

Avalanche123
12-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Lots of variables at play Lou....temperature, altitude, wind. Super Cub can take off on a fairly stretch of water but it can't carry much. Turbo Otter can do 600m but that is expensive but can easily do your whole part at once. Same lake at altitude a Cessena 185 can only borderline take off with just the pilot and lower fuel. A Beaver needs more lake than that.

In a nutshell best to let your Charter Company decide. Chances are they know your lake and can offer best advise.

Fred1
12-26-2014, 12:06 PM
the pilot said thats pushing it, some of those smaller lakes will rise and fall quickly, it may look one size on google earth but be another size when you get there

Yes careful with google earth. I use it everyday and it can let you down - kinda like that 42" X 10" x 4" xmas present under the tree.... rats...

boxhitch
12-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Likely there isn't a lake in the north that the pilots don't know about , especially if there are sheep around. If it has no name , it likely isn't worthy of being named.

Caribou_lou
12-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Likely there isn't a lake in the north that the pilots don't know about , especially if there are sheep around. If it has no name , it likely isn't worthy of being named.

never thought of that!

srupp
12-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Hmmm not all the time...sent a couple gents in to a small lake for sheep this year..pilot needed to check out the un named lake...it was doable...but I already knew that..they got a dandy stone sheep..im fomfortable with 1.5 kms regardless of the hot weather...thin air..
Srupp

REMINGTON JIM
12-26-2014, 12:23 PM
landing is not the Problem - don't take much water to land a floater BUT getting the plane back off a lake that is the Problem - its takes a lot more water ! - so watch your small lakes at high altitudes ! :wink: RJ

358mag
12-26-2014, 12:40 PM

Sure there's a few of them no name lakes that have a few Super-Cubs and 185 and Beaver parts and pieces laying on the bottom of the lake .

Stone Sheep Steve
12-26-2014, 12:54 PM
As mentioned above, lots of factors to consider.

But 'Can't fly you in there' and 'won't fly you in there' are not necessarily the same thing.

Everett
12-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Just because you can land on something doesn't mean a pilot is willing to risk his million dollar beaver so you can hunt sheep.

BCBRAD
12-26-2014, 01:10 PM
Yes careful with google earth. I use it everyday and it can let you down - kinda like that 42" X 10" x 4" xmas present under the tree.... rats...

LOL, happened this year........nice Fisker axe though.

Hanrahan
12-26-2014, 01:40 PM
It's not about the landing. It's the taking off that's the issue. 900 m is short, but not too short. It would depend on elevation, how much of that 900 m is useable, surrounding terrain and how long the trip home is. (Fuel weight) I have taken people into "one way" lakes before with a couple options.
1: if there's another lake or useable river nearby, they hike to it for pickup.
2: do as many trips as needed out of your lake to a larger lake close by and then collect everything there and head home.
3: multiple trips straight home if there's nowhere else to use as a staging area or you're close anyway.

Like the other guys said, find your air service and they likely know already if it's doable, but those are a couple options to suggest.

GoatGuy
12-26-2014, 03:16 PM
You can send me coordinates if you want and I will have a look. Flew around the north country in a few floatplanes. Elevation plays a huge role in most of the normally aspirated machines.

Boxhitch's comments are very accurate.

12-26-2014, 03:32 PM
As mentioned there are too many factors to consider. Type of aircraft, modifications to aircraft, size of floats, weight of cargo, density altitude, terrain surrounding lake, depth of water/reefs and so on.

ryanb
12-26-2014, 04:38 PM
While a lake may be unnamed on a map, if it's a usable lake in good sheep country, I guarantee it has a name (unofficial name). Your pilot should have a good handle on all the usable puddles.

Caribou_lou
12-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Thanks for all the lake landing knowledge. im thinking it might be a bit small but will pass it by the pilot soon. Need to book a flight. I see a larger lake near by. might have to go to that one and put 8 more km's on our hike. No biggy

butthead
12-26-2014, 08:36 PM
a beaver with a stol kit on it
takes off like a helicopter

Alfonz
12-26-2014, 08:50 PM
Planning to have a cub north of Dease for a few weeks in mid to late August. May have the option of a few side trips.
There are some great lakes that are not named! Ask Myles Bradford for further details! Stedman lake !!!

Caribou_lou
12-26-2014, 09:09 PM
We are looking to fly start of September. Does Myles Bradford fly out of Dease?

12-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Just don't "push" your driver. If he's an old guy he won't listen anyways but if you have a newer float plane pilot and he says no just leave it at that and ask for the next closest thing.

brno375
12-26-2014, 09:18 PM
Planning to have a cub north of Dease for a few weeks in mid to late August. May have the option of a few side trips.
There are some great lakes that are not named! Ask Myles Bradford for further details! Stedman lake !!!

Care to elaborate?

Alfonz
12-26-2014, 09:23 PM
On the supercub north of Dease or Stedman lake?

Caribou_lou
12-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Is Bradford the outfitter east of Dease?

brno375
12-26-2014, 09:40 PM
On the supercub north of Dease or Stedman lake?

The Supercub.

A true PA-18? Engine?

Where is the pick-up?

$/mile?

Range?

Floats I would assume and not big bush wheels? Any chance of a swap over?

Commercial pilot? Commercial plane?

Will fly into anyone's territory?

BCrams
12-26-2014, 10:04 PM
As many have stated. Usually no trouble landing on most lakes but it's getting off and out safely. Your knowledge on airplane ability and performance when talking with pilots can help a bit.

Most pilots know which lakes you can land on and can't and under which circumstances with altitude such as cool vs hot combined with windy days vs not windy and cold days etc. How much fuel they burn off to allow take off etc. Aircraft / engine / prop type and weights all play into it.

Alfonz
12-26-2014, 10:24 PM
True PA- 18 engine- 0320 160HP.

Boya lake maybe Swan Lake.

Not sure on costs yet.

Should be able to do about 3.5 hours.

31" Bushwheels installed at the moment, planning floats next summer.

Not commercial yet.

Anyones area - Hell Yes!

brno375
12-26-2014, 10:32 PM

Not sure on costs yet.

Not commercial yet.

Anyones area - Hell Yes!

When you get it converted to commercial and keep it on bush wheels, send me a PM.

01-04-2015, 01:13 AM

Not sure on costs yet.

Not commercial yet.

Anyones area - Hell Yes!

How many hours do you have on that a/c (as pilot)? How much tail-dragger time? Where did you do your off airport operator training?