PDA

View Full Version : Packs

BCHoyt
12-25-2014, 06:54 PM
I know from looking that this topic has been beaten to death and brought up a hundred times..

My hunting partner and I are planning several hike in hunting trips over the next few years for everything from bears, deer, elk and sheep.

I have a good majority of light weight gear needed for the trips but a pack is still something I need... I have been doing research for days now on different packs.. Everything from Tenzing, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, etc..

Ive come to the conclusion that I am going to buy a Kifaru frame and pack plus some of their accesories.

The big question is size?? I want to do hunts with this pack anywhere from 3-14 days.. Do I got with something around 5200ci or 7200ci?

lorneparker1
12-25-2014, 07:06 PM
better to have too much room then not enough....

Kifaru packs really pack down well so if there is space ( which there probably wont be) the compression straps will really suck everything down.

Lorne

roymil
12-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Check out the ExoMountain Gear pack, hands down the best I have seen or used. Worth looking at.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-25-2014, 08:53 PM
I'd consider a 6800 the minimum for a 14 day hunt.
More space doesn't weigh that much.
I'd go larger if I could do it over.

Bighorn hunter
12-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Just received their emr11 with bikini frame and guide lid. Have three other Kifaru packs and all have stood up really well. Looking forward to useing this pack next season. As others have said, u won't regret the larger pack in the long run

bh

300rum700
12-25-2014, 09:50 PM
EMR II, DT 1, highcamp 7000 and the new AMR will all compress down to next to nothing and haul more than you can carry. 7000 is the minimum I would consider for BC hunting and I've done it with a lot smaller packs, it's a lot easier with a bigger pack and you will only be adding a couple ounces with a bigger bag. The Bikini Frame is the most comfortable frame on the market and the duplex is more of a heavy hauler and only slightly less comfortable. IMO kifaru makes the best pack frames on the market.

.264winmag
12-26-2014, 12:07 AM
Definitely bigger internal capacity the better I've found. Pain in the rear having extra gear attached to the exterior flopping around, snagging on brush and potentially losing rigging. I run an 8400 ci stone glacier terminus and it was maxed out this year on the way out stone hunting.

Trekker
12-26-2014, 12:53 AM
Kifaru is a great choice, I love mine. Definitely go with the larger bag, weight penalty is just a few ounces and if your planning 10+ days hunts you will need the extra space. I run the timberline 1 and has been really good to me. The new AMR looks pretty cool too.

jtred
12-26-2014, 07:31 AM
I received the Boxing Day flyer from Grouse River and although I don't really need a new pack the sale on the Eberlestock Just One sure caught my interest. I don't have a hunting specific pack just a decent pack that works for hunting as well but one day mine will be worn out. Fully expanded it is 4600 cubic inches which is basically 75 liters, that should be plenty. Another sale that really piqued my interest was the Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL two person tent, I have a pretty good tent but that one looks like a greta tent. I tell you if I wasn't so cheap I'd probably be buying new gear all the time.

BCHoyt
12-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Ya its down to the Timberline 1 of AMR for me.. I just cant decide which one yet... Also plan on getting the bikini frame, and a few other things like the gun carrier, some pockets for the hip belt, etc..

lorneparker1
12-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Definitely get the grab it. One of the Best accessories kifaru makes IMO.

Duk Dog
12-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Running the DT1 with a few extras - grab it, waist belt pockets, side pockets and zippered top lid. Great for extended trips and packs down nicely for shorter trips too. I've been happy with my pack choice.

BCHoyt
12-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Yep.. Definately the pack Im gonna get...

mddat
12-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Sounds like you already have your mind made up on the kifaru, but before you pull the trigger, have a look at the stone glacier sky packs if you haven't already, can't say enough about them, either way you'll be happy

goinghunting
12-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Sounds like you already have your mind made up on the kifaru, but before you pull the trigger, have a look at the stone glacier sky packs if you haven't already, can't say enough about them, either way you'll be happy

Ive got a kifaru and a stone glacier, and prefer the stone glacier hands down!

BCHoyt
12-27-2014, 06:08 AM
Looked at their website but not what Im after..

BCHoyt
01-03-2015, 02:33 PM
One last question on packs... My wife also wants to do backpack camping trips as well minus the hunting. Juan De Fuca trail, San Juan Ridge trail etc etc. Would it be better to have seperate packs or one pack that can do both hunting trips or strictly camping trips..

If I can get away with one pack for both that changes my outlook on the pack I want as well..

Stone Sheep Steve
01-03-2015, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=BCHoyt;1584513]One last question on packs... My wife also wants to do backpack camping trips as well minus the hunting. Juan De Fuca trail, San Juan Ridge trail etc etc. Would it be better to have seperate packs or one pack that can do both hunting trips or strictly camping trips..

If I can get away with one pack for both that changes my outlook on the pack I want as well..[/QUOTE

Make your pack choice on your hunting requirements as it will be more of a pack than you will ever need for backpack trips with your wife. One pack will cover both needs.

decker9
01-03-2015, 06:48 PM
I use a DT1 also, Packs up tight when empty and opens up to pack for 14 days, and it's light. Kifaru has a couple of they'r bags on sale right now also, the longhunter and the highcamp 7000. The only complaint for my DT1 is the side pockets, there's no flap or zipper, just a strap to synch them closed. I find my side pockets collect water and spruce needles. Pretty easy fix tho for someone handy with a sewing needle.