PDA

View Full Version : HIRE a PACKER .... NOT A GOABC GUIDE

12-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Hey folks,
I have used the services of a number of Packers over the Years. Had some great trips into terrific country and harvested some mighty fine Critters too.

Many have a ton of Knowledge of the area's they can work in. They do Drop camps, or outfits that wranglers and or camp assistants or cooks can stay in camp while you hunt, giving you a little more comfort if thats what you desire. They are cost effective to us as residents, if you have the gumption to work hard for your animals.

Remember though Packers are just that, Packers and cannot assist you in the actual hunt or be in your company while hunting.

There are Horseback shows, Jet Boat operations and airplane access packers. ( careful with some though as a few are owned by GOABC outfits, and will certainly NOT take you into Prime area compared to an INDEPENDENT PACKER.) with independent Packers you can hunt right in their back door.

Its a mighty fine feeling to Drop a Big Ram, Billy or Bull under the nose of what has become the enemy. The GOABC.

Merry Christmas Every one.

CT

monasheemountainman
12-23-2014, 09:55 AM
using Riverjet adventures next September! heard nothing but great things about his outfit

12-23-2014, 10:11 AM
using Riverjet adventures next September! heard nothing but great things about his outfit

Yup Kevin runs a GREAT outfit ! Been with Riverjet myself. Steamboat is another, there are Lots of Good REPUTABLE PACKERS out there. YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR HAND HELD !

CT

white moose
12-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Dad and I have booked with steamboat, heading in for elk on sept 10th. Hope they can get us into some bugling bulls.

12-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Dad and I have booked with steamboat, heading in for elk on sept 10th. Hope they can get us into some bugling bulls.

You need to get your selves into bugling bulls with hard work .......... Your DATES ARE PERFECT .... ten day hunt I presume ?

dakoda62
12-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Gone with Tetsa River Outfitters twice now. Good outfit, into remote area.

boilerroom
12-23-2014, 02:04 PM
I guess we'll keep Katie company then :) ... planning to head up to Loon for some pre-Muley scouting and bird hunting that weekend...

Bugle M In
12-23-2014, 02:43 PM
This will be a great thread!!
One thing I can assure most here....is GO's REALLY HATE Packers!!
You made me smile CT!...good one!

Koot
12-23-2014, 04:18 PM
I have used blue creek outfitters and we had a great trip. 4 animals for 5 guys first time to the northern rockies for any of us. The horses were good and the country was awesome.

white moose
12-23-2014, 04:52 PM
I guess we'll keep Katie company then :) ... planning to head up to Loon for some pre-Muley scouting and bird hunting that weekend...

Yeah, we pretty excited to go. Elk have been on our hit list for a while. Should be a good time. Just need the brother to come and not be so cheap. Lol.

srupp
12-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Hmmmk cant beat Kevin with riverjet adventures...
Hmmmm dont lump all guides outfitters together...some indeed are great guys, reasonable, helpful...works hard...gives back...
Srupp

12-24-2014, 07:16 AM
Hmmmk cant beat Kevin with riverjet adventures...
Hmmmm dont lump all guides outfitters together...some indeed are great guys, reasonable, helpful...works hard...gives back...
Srupp

Steven, Yup SRUPP is right, can't beat RIVERJETS SERVICES !
As STATED KEVIN runs a good show and is a PACKER as you know, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by me, you and others. He can get us Resident hunters unto places that if the Hunters dropped with his services works hard can get into some terrific country, and have success on all big game of BC, Sheep, Moose Elk, Bou, Billys, and Yes even G Bear.
Right in the Guide Outfitters territory and prime area's, been there done it, and will do it again. No need to have your hand held and pay the ridiculous fees the the majority of the GOABC charges and most BC residents can't afford .
Bottom Line, PACKERS offer hunts that ARE affordable by us Residents, Yes some GO's offer the service now too .... BUT dont think for one minute you or any DROP off client is on a Priority. The Majority of GOABC Guideoutfitters could care less of our success as residents and will even go out of their way to spoil the chance for Success. As BIG WHITES has even stated ....... He too has been BUZZED like many of us from GO's planes while closing in on Rams and Bulls.

My business goes to guys Like Kevin. I hope more BC resident s do this as I can see an increase of the use of PACKERS just from several of the PM's I have received.

Merry Christmas all.

Stay Strong and Stay together to fight the BEASTS taking your opportunities away !

dino
12-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Im looking for a packer to take me up into the snowey mt area behind Keromeas. These old bones just cant do it on foot any more. Ive never been able to find a packer for that area.

Gateholio
12-25-2014, 09:31 PM
All the transporters are in Reg 7 IIRC. Except Stan from Blue Creek but he's not a packer, but he will rent you horses.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-26-2014, 07:02 AM
Im looking for a packer to take me up into the snowey mt area behind Keromeas. These old bones just cant do it on foot any more. Ive never been able to find a packer for that area.

There's a guy in the area who does horseback tours but I don't think he's allowed to pack in hunters or their gear.

SSS

brno375
12-26-2014, 09:38 AM
All the transporters are in Reg 7 IIRC. Except Stan from Blue Creek but he's not a packer, but he will rent you horses.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most G/O's throughout the province also hold the packer/transporter license for their territory.

Hunter of the Stone
12-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most G/O's throughout the province also hold the packer/transporter license for their territory.

Some do and some don't.

Gateholio
12-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Many of them will advertise that service for residents, but trying to actually get a GO to offer just packing service is often impossible. They don't want residents going into "their" area at all. But when the GO/Packer battle was going on GO's told government they would offer the service, to keep people happy. One more big fat GOABC lie.

12-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Many years ago packers were allowed to move around areas throughout the province more freely. Then they to were hammered by the GUIDE INDUSTRY, and sure enough GOVERNMENT of the day then caved and would only allow exciting packers that were established to work in defined areas ......... All this lead to some very sensitive issues as guides claimed packers were illegally guiding, which even lead to a few battles. That said, Packers are now limited, many guide operation DO OFFER. packer services, drop camps etc as Government agreed to allow them to do that.

there re are some good respectable operations out there, RIVERJET, STEAMBOAT, TETSA and many plane services too to name a few. Put your money where it best serves you. Work hard, bust your back side ! The critters are there, right in the Guide Operations back yards. Been there, done it and will do it again.

HIRE A PACKER, NOT A GOABC GUIDE OR GOABC PACKER

Alpine Addict
12-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Many years ago packers were allowed to move around areas throughout the province more freely. Then they to were hammered by the GUIDE INDUSTRY, and sure enough GOVERNMENT of the day then caved and would only allow exciting packers that were established to work in defined areas ......... All this lead to some very sensitive issues as guides claimed packers were illegally guiding, which even lead to a few battles. That said, Packers are now limited, many guide operation DO OFFER. packer services, drop camps etc as Government agreed to allow them to do that. But being WE AS RESIDENTS HAVE ALL BEEN SHOT IN THE BACK BY THE GOABC AND THE GOVERNMENT ON THIS RECENT POLICY .......... WHY WOULD ANY RESIDENT HUNTER OF THE PROVINCE OF BC HIRE A PACKER THAT BELONGS TO THE GOABC. there re are some good respectable operations out there, RIVERJET, STEAMBOAT, TETSA and many plane services too to name a few. Put your money where it best serves you. Work hard, bust your back side ! The critters are there, right in the Guide Operations back yards. Been there, done it and will do it again.HIRE A PACKER, NOT A GOABC GUIDE OR GOABC PACKER

The lack of correct information pertaining to G/O's and the industry is astounding

bearvalley
12-26-2014, 11:34 AM
The lack of correct information pertaining to G/O's and the industry is astounding

Hey Ben, that's what drives the masses.

BTF
12-26-2014, 11:59 AM
Anyone want to post reputable air line services. I want to do a fly in trip in the near future but am not sure which outfit to look into first. I'm thinking if they work more for the guides that they will steer us away from some good areas.

12-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Anyone want to post reputable air line services. I want to do a fly in trip in the near future but am not sure which outfit to look into first. I'm thinking if they work more for the guides that they will steer us away from some good areas.

Bingo ........ Be careful with that one.

There re are some GOOD. Outfits out there, that said think of your best interest and avoid any link

Ferenc
12-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Closed door meetings?

12-26-2014, 12:06 PM

Your not not even old enough to know the old bd blood ........

yet eh again it has reared its ugly head due mostly to greed. Sad for those that with the new agreement screws over the BC RESIDENT

Dog_River
12-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Where is the information and what organization does someone apply on how to become a "Packer" only, not an outfitter ?

Dog_River

Gateholio
12-30-2014, 10:53 AM
The packers (Transporters) have tenures, and you would have to buy one out, just like an outfit.

boxhitch
12-30-2014, 08:45 PM
may be a good time for packing / transporting to be opened up to free enterprise again .

Fisher-Dude
12-30-2014, 08:59 PM
may be a good time for packing / transporting to be opened up to free enterprise again .

Was it shut down by the GOABC's lobbying of government? I don't recall the history on that issue.

bridger
12-30-2014, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=Fisher-Dude;1583061]Was it shut down by the GOABC's lobbying of government? I don't recall the history on that

the licensing and legitimizing of transporters(packers) was an issue that took a lot of years of negotiating with the various stakeholders. Government finally decided to license packers to bring order to the industry. The majority of transporters were operating in 7b.. Main requirement for getting one of the original licenses was that the applicants had to prove they had been in business in the past. Those that could were grandfathered. Government decision as to how the industry was regulated. Supported by bcwf.

Fisher-Dude
12-30-2014, 10:47 PM
So basically there was a stringent layer of bureaucracy that made startups virtually impossible.