PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Rangefinder

Edge
12-23-2014, 07:48 AM
There are many options of course. I'm one of those who would rather pay less than have bragging rights to how expensive my equipment is. As I "use" my equipment , it usually shows wear and tear. I do however appreciate quality. I recently picked out the Nikon Aculon 6X as a candidate for my bowhunting needs. I missed 2 sales at Cabelas at $199 and really really don't want to pay $249 + + now. I see a Simmons 600 with 4X is around $169...does anyone have experience with these or can you suggest an alternative? You can see my price range.... as usual all comments welcome.....constructive comments appreciated...lol

tadpole
12-24-2014, 06:11 AM
Quality of the range finder is critical. Buddy of mine has Simmons and it sucks. A little bit of twigs or bush between RF and animal prevent proper ranging too many times. A little bit of fog is also a no no for it. One have to go for quality to prevent disappointment.
Leopold is affordable but OK

Edge
12-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Quality of the range finder is critical. Buddy of mine has Simmons and it sucks. A little bit of twigs or bush between RF and animal prevent proper ranging too many times. A little bit of fog is also a no no for it. One have to go for quality to prevent disappointment.
Leopold is affordable but OK

I looked at the Nikon Aculon..it seemed quite bright instore. Have you had any experience? what would you recommend?

Fosey
12-24-2014, 01:48 PM
try Natchez shooting supplies. they have new and refurbished Nikons for a good price.

Ambush
12-24-2014, 04:19 PM
The short range "bow hunter" models have a cheaper-to-make, wide laser beam. They pick up air born debris [dirt, fog, rain etc.] and very often don't perform well when you really need it.

I had a Nikon bow hunter model and gave it away, I now have the Nikon rifle, model which has been good for about four years but is now having a few issues. Still not sure which one I'll buy now.

Get one with angle compensation.

Blockcaver
12-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Fog beats my recent Leica and Leupold rangefinders. I can't read beyond 20 or 30 yds when using my RF..........or trying to in those conditions.

Edge
12-25-2014, 09:09 AM
So far I'm hearing that makes ie Nikon, Leupold that I would expect to be high quality have their issues as well. Has anyone had any experience with Bushnell ARC ?

Shooter
12-25-2014, 11:07 AM
I have the Nikon Rifle hunter. It is OK. But low light and fog and it is useless.

Everett
12-25-2014, 11:35 AM
So far I'm hearing that makes ie Nikon, Leupold that I would expect to be high quality have their issues as well. Has anyone had any experience with Bushnell ARC ?

I have had two 1500 Arc crapped out after a year they replaced it with a 1200 arc it lasted 4 years than I lost it. Worked pretty good usually could range a large animal out to 450-500 and trees or rocks to 600 to 700

Riverbc
12-26-2014, 09:19 AM
If you are looking for a range finder for bow hunting, you may want one that displays horizontal distance on steep angles. This is called ARC technology. (Angle Range Compensation) Simmons calls their's tilt technology, so look for a simmon's that says tilt. The Nikon Aculon does not have angle compensation. (ARC)
I'm happy with my Bushnell Bowhunter's Chuck Adams edition, but they are no longer carrying that model. I did find a Bushnell 202442 The Truth ARC 4x20mm Bow Hunting Laser Range Finder with Clear Shot on AMazon for $179.http://www.amazon.ca/Bushnell-202442-4x20mm-Hunting-Finder/dp/B00ILFLT24

boblly1
12-26-2014, 10:13 AM
there is a hand held leupold lr1000 posted on bc outdoors rod and rifle they are asking 400.00

Edge
12-26-2014, 10:28 AM
The short range "bow hunter" models have a cheaper-to-make, wide laser beam. They pick up air born debris [dirt, fog, rain etc.] and very often don't perform well when you really need it.

I had a Nikon bow hunter model and gave it away, I now have the Nikon rifle, model which has been good for about four years but is now having a few issues. Still not sure which one I'll buy now.

Get one with angle compensation.

Is that the ARC models?

Phila
12-26-2014, 10:55 AM
I went through the same process recently. One article I read on the subject suggested that a buyer consider the following.

Range: seems obvious but as someone has already pointed out, models meant for short bow hunting ranges will not be very accurate for ranging animals at over say, 300 yards. In the manufacturers model range spec you would be able to range a large rock or tree to 600 yds., but a deer sized object to 400 yds. Some manufacturers are clear about this, others are not.

Magnification: again when you think about it, a 6x rangefinder Makes it easier to put the cross hairs of the rangefinder on a deer sized object at greater distances than a 4x model.Makes it more useful for quickly checking out a target as well with the greater magnification instead of always going to your binocs.

Angle Compensation: as previously pointed out, an important consideration, especially for bow hunters.

FWIW I bought a Redfield unit that didn't break the bank, and am pleased with it.

Hope this helps you.

IronNoggin
12-26-2014, 12:54 PM
... Has anyone had any experience with Bushnell ARC ?

I've been running one of Bushnell's G Force 1300 ARC Rangefinders for about a year now.
It has both Bow & Rifle settings for the Arc, and is VERY Accurate. I have been Very Impressed with the Bow setting and this function! Works Flawlessly every single time.
Have successfully ranged deer out to 800 yards with it under the right conditions.
Also has a built in Ballistics Calculator with up to eight varying settings. Useful to help determine hold over at extended ranges.
6 x 21 Clear Optics.

Overall I have been quite pleased with this unit, and will be carrying it for the foreseeable future.

It is my understanding that this particular model has now been replaced with their "next generation" version. Haven't had one in my hands, but given my experience with the one I noted above, suspect it will be another in the Winner Category:

http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/laser-rangefinders/g-force-dx#

Might be just a tad more than your suggested budget. But I've always found in the case of Optics & Rangefinders, the little extra coin is generally Well Worth the expenditure in terms of Performance. :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

Ambush
12-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Is that the ARC models?

Yes, both have ARC. The bow hunter model was an extreme disappointment. Nothing like not being able to range a beauty Stone ram, on a steep slope, because of a little bit of fog. Great in dry clear conditions.
The rifle hunter model has been very good but is now eating batteries for some reason. I know of three others doing the same. Electronics have a short life span compared to other gear.

uraarchr
12-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Have had Bushnell Legend Arc for 4 or so years.Awesome little unit.Had a older Bushnell sport 450 which ranged stuff out to maybe 200 yds sometimes.The legend arc is a great unit for bowhunting with the Arc setting or for rifle ranging out to 800 + yds..will usually give readings to over 1000yds.and very compact to fit in a pocket too.

Eastbranch
12-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Leupold just added the rx600i to the 800/1000 lineup and I'm eyeing that up, $330 on cabelas. Rarely need to range beyond 400 and the Leupy 600 should reach most animals that far.

Edge
12-26-2014, 03:28 PM
If you are looking for a range finder for bow hunting, you may want one that displays horizontal distance on steep angles. This is called ARC technology. (Angle Range Compensation) Simmons calls their's tilt technology, so look for a simmon's that says tilt. The Nikon Aculon does not have angle compensation. (ARC)
I'm happy with my Bushnell Bowhunter's Chuck Adams edition, but they are no longer carrying that model. I did find a Bushnell 202442 The Truth ARC 4x20mm Bow Hunting Laser Range Finder with Clear Shot on AMazon for $179.

http://www.amazon.ca/Bushnell-202442-4x20mm-Hunting-Finder/dp/B00ILFLT24

Looks to me like that's $251.76 not $179....has the price changed?

Riverbc
12-26-2014, 04:26 PM
wow...that's odd.....I also found it here,,,for $199 but that's in US dollars. http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-the-truth-rangefinder-with-clearshot.html free shipping and handling.

todbartell
12-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Vortex Ranger1000, $500 gets you a lifetime warranty. Nice to know you won't have a paperweight in 4 yrs when it craps out

Edge
12-26-2014, 09:41 PM
wow...that's odd.....I also found it here,,,for $199 but that's in US dollars. http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-the-truth-rangefinder-with-clearshot.html free shipping and handling.

I just cancelled an order with opticsplanet yesterday. Best price but no inventory and couldn't give me a ship date...then they offered for me to find something else that I would like instead...hhmmmmm....does this sound like "bait & switch"....??

Riverbc
12-26-2014, 09:57 PM
oh wow...I never had an issue with them when I bought my spotting scope or binoculars.

Edge
12-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Ok so Update on Optics Planet....I opened an email they sent me yesterday.....now that's 2 days after I cancelled the order for the Nikon Aculon at $129 because they haven't had stock for 2 weeks and didn't know when they would be getting more....Guess What ?? they suddenly got more stock and will graciously offer it to me for $169.....Is it just me or does anyone else smell the odor of "Bait and Switch" ??

Ambush
12-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Be happy they were out of stock and you have a chance to buy a decent one.

Optics Planet is an upright dealer, but the unit you are intent on buying is a POS. That's what you smell.

Edge
12-29-2014, 07:23 AM
Be happy they were out of stock and you have a chance to buy a decent one.

Optics Planet is an upright dealer, but the unit you are intent on buying is a POS. That's what you smell.

Thanks for that. from what i"ve been hearing here, these shorter range units all have issues.....Have you had any experience with the higher range Busnells?

300win
12-29-2014, 07:36 AM
Vortex Ranger1000, $500 gets you a lifetime warranty. Nice to know you won't have a paperweight in 4 yrs when it craps out

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Vortex Ranger 1000??? How does it range, light conditions,fog,angles etc...

Downwind
12-30-2014, 10:04 PM
X2 for the Vortex. Love mine, ranges fast and accurate and red readout. Black readouts suck. Nothing more frustrating then trying to range an animal near dawn or dusk and can't read what the result is.

NorBC
12-31-2014, 08:27 AM
if you are just using it for target archery purposes perhaps a red field would suffice your needs? but if you would be using it for rifle hunting as well, or land marking terrain during a archery stalk, I would recommend a higher end vortex, or leupold.

Just my 0.02

Edge
12-31-2014, 04:51 PM
I am looking to use it in the field as well. Also as a crossover for rifle. Does the Vortex Ranger have ARC technology?

Riverbc
12-31-2014, 09:51 PM
yes it does.

"The Ranger 1000 uses HCD (Horizontal Component Distance) angle-compensated ranging technology to give bow and rifle shooters the critical distance data needed to make accurate shots."