PDA

View Full Version : Gps course

leftfield
12-23-2014, 12:38 AM
Does anybody know where a guy could get some training on the finer points of using a gps. I have a garmin 62s.

Drillbit
12-23-2014, 03:01 AM
If you have to ask,

Start here, http://www.silvacompass.com/detail.aspx?id=76

Daybreak
12-23-2014, 08:26 AM
I'm running the Garmin 62ST and looked for assistance without much luck. Tried the retailers who, for the most part, don't seem to know the finer aspects.

There are some excellent tutorials for Garmin on the web; some from the manufacturer and some from private individuals. I find you have to watch them multiple times and pause and review frequently. Pretty much a matter of experimenting and trial and error. Powerful units with so many capabilities. Also helps to use the GPS year round to stay fresh. From my experience they are not the most user friendly especially when it comes to combining your data with google earth to plot tracks and marks. You just have to keep working with it. Hopefully you can find the help you are looking for.

Do you have some specific questions you could post?

adriaticum
12-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Youtube is your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=garmin+62s

Gun Dog
12-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Does anybody know where a guy could get some training on the finer points of using a gps. I have a garmin 62s.What are you trying to do? I use a mapping gps -- I download the maps and go. The screen shows where I am and where I've been (track log). When I get home I upload the track log using Garmin's MapSource. From there I can edit the log or select "show in Google Earth". Easy.

It gets more complicated if you're sharing locations. The Earth is curved and maps are flat so there are different data sets (called map datum) that are all slightly different. Garmin uses WGS84 (World Geodesic System 1984). Canadian topo maps use NAD83 (North American Datum 1983) but older maps use NAD27 (1927). It's printed on the map. NAD83 and WGS84 more or less interchangeable. At least that's what is says on a topo map I have.

goatdancer
12-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Garmin has a 1-800 number with very good staff. Just can't remember it off hand.

The Hermit
12-23-2014, 11:46 AM
I too would love to take a classroom/field course on handheld GPS navigation... people have different learning styles but generally I believe in the tell, show, do, approach to learning skills. Good points on the regular practice too.

HarryToolips
12-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Bah use a compass and the sun more challenging, more fun:-P

steel_ram
12-23-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm sure you can find someone to take your money. Every thing's taught for a price these days, hunting, fly fishing, running and I'm sure you can find a course on "Geocaching" somewhere.