PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Turkey

VanIsle
12-22-2014, 09:07 PM
I've been using the new to me Bradley digital smoker a lot lately, making Venison hot Italian sausages, smokies, bratwurst and pepperoni.
Getting a bit more confident with smoking techniques so I thought I would try a whole 14 pound turkey.

1. Made about 3 gallons of brine with kosher salt, brown sugar, onions, garlic, fresh rosemary, thyme, chili pepper and peppercorns.
Once brine came to a boil, I cooled it overnight in my spare fridge. Then put the brine and the turkey in a non-reactive pot and
submerged the turkey fully for 24 hours in the fridge (Important that the temp is under 40 degrees Fahrenheit)
After 24 hours, rinse thoroughly and dry, then put Turkey back in fridge uncovered to air dry and for flavors to blend. I left it
in overnight.

2. Bring turkey to room temperature and preheat smoker to as hot as you can. My setting goes to 320 but I never got it over 255 in this cold weather. Brush turkey with oil and place on second rack from the bottom and start your smoke. I used apple and maple pucks.
Total smoke time was 3 1/2 hours. Half way through, I turned the racks.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Cohobro/10885209_10153000287988885_5757708965060887078_n_z ps4aee21cc.jpg

3. Continue to cook in the smoker until probe inserted under the thigh reads 165 degrees. Take out of the smoker and let it rest for about 45
minutes, and the carve. Here is the finished product after about 5 1/2 hours total time.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Cohobro/20141222_174916_zps2c9eb353.jpg

deerslayer3
12-22-2014, 09:32 PM
Looks amazing. I did the same and had great results. Found the skin to be a bit chewy. I know use the brining and deep frying method. I joke that I'm going to brine/smoke/fry.....most likely the best bird ever!

Wentrot
12-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Have done the bradley turkey for a few years now-I toss it in the oven for the last bit to crisp the skin.

VanIsle
12-22-2014, 09:45 PM
I wasn't to concerned about crisp skin, as it will be bagged and on ice for a road trip to the wife's family tomorrow. Next one will be half smoked and then deep fried.

tomahawk
12-22-2014, 09:57 PM
I wasn't to concerned about crisp skin, as it will be bagged and on ice for a road trip to the wife's family tomorrow. Next one will be half smoked and then deep fried.

Me also, 2 days brined and then smoked for a few hours and then into the deep fryer is what I would like to try. Hard to get any better then brined and deep fried I suspect but got to try it. Anyone have any idea how long it needs to be deep fried if this is done? Hard to determine how cooked it was in the smoker? Anyone ever use a digital thermometer in a deep fryer?

Foxton Gundogs
12-23-2014, 02:29 PM
I brine mine about 36 hrs then dry it separate the skin from the meat put dry rub on the meat(under the skin and then brush with oil and dry rub the skin as well before smoking. Mines going in the smoker tomorrow morning. 9 lb wild bird with some duck breasts and ribs will take about 4 hrs