PDA

View Full Version : Get together for pup training session?

jlirot
12-21-2014, 08:00 PM
It seems there are a number of folks here with new pups. Anyone interested in getting together for some training sessions? It would be great to find a preserve (or put n take - whatever you call them up here) where we could pay for a few birds and get the dogs onto some birds. Busting them is fine - no plans to shoot just want the pup to get used to the idea.

I'd even be willing to drop a little bit of cash to have an experienced trainer give us a couple hours of pointers and hands on help. If 1/2 dozen of us threw in a C-note it seems like we could find someone.

If there are no preserves around - how about paying for a dozen birds (frozen??) and finding someone with a field we could use?

I'm running my dog in the woods and playing with wings. She'll even fetch them for me (most of the time). I've got her sitting, down, stay on both sit and down, fetching, and recalling most of the time, etc. But, she's 4 months old now and it seems like it's time to (gently) move up to the next level. I'm starting to make her hold or 'whoa' before she's allowed to chase the wings I toss.

Gotta say I saw a HUGE difference in her attitude once I started with the wings. Now in the woods she's VERY interested in birds and acts like she's hunting. Of course she's a pup but she seems to be doing the right stuff.

I would like help with blind retrieves, pointing/whoa, and sending her in different directions. I'm also ready to introduce the whistle. I haven't started with the whistle because I don't want to be THAT a-hole in the park with the whistle (I'm running the dog mostly in Pacific Spirit Park). But I do whistle with my mouth - two 'tweets' for 'this way' and 'tweet tweet tweet' for come. She seems to mostly understand. Last one I'm most interested in is 1 blast for 'stop'. I'm not sure how to get that one down.

I'm in Vancouver but willing to travel a reasonable distance for some sessions.

Anyone?

jlirot
12-21-2014, 09:12 PM
I just found the BC Pheasant Company so if they're still in Business in Chilliwack we should be able to get some birds...

fudge
12-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Im in I live in coquitlam and have a 6 moth old lab

fudge
12-22-2014, 10:18 AM
I maybe able to get some birds

Foxton Gundogs
12-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Just watch it using pheasants with young dogs I graduate mine through pigeons to chuckers and when they can handle them well then I go to hen pheasants before using roosters. I have seen a young dog spurred and wing beat by a crippled rooster and it turned it completely off birds for life. Don't get over anxous, baby steps and progression is the name of the game, "slow is fast".

jlirot
12-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Good advice Foxy. The dog is 20 #'s or so - so a pissed off rooster would be a good match up. :-)

Any ideas on a field? Seems like we have 3 (including me) good to go.

jlirot
01-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Ok. I'm back in the saddle again after the holidays. Have a couple weeks before travel starts. Who wants to do this? Very informal. Just want to get the dog on some birds. She's great going for walks - but I would love to have her start to see some birds.

odie1830
01-07-2015, 10:22 PM
i have recently adopted a 3 year old chocolate lab, have taken him on 2 duck hunts already! had only a couple of shots each outing and the dog was fine with the shots, now i have been playing fetch but would love to meet up with other sporting breeds! share some info ect.

fudge
01-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Im in let me know ....

Sarge789
01-09-2015, 11:15 PM
I got a 7m old black purebred lab. Had him retrieving wings taped to a bumper, as well as a whole frozen blue wing teal (still have that). Had him up around the guns too. He was too excited though, trying to chase after the skeet. I'd be more than pleased to get together and exchange some ideas, do a little work. Text me if this is happening 604-240-0729

ActionJackson017
01-09-2015, 11:19 PM
I'm in too if this comes together - let me know. LML based.

jlirot
01-09-2015, 11:27 PM
Any ideas on a place we could do this? Sounds like Fudgie can get some birds... Downtown Vancouver isn't the best. Would be nice to find a quiet field.

jedimaster
01-13-2015, 04:43 PM
I am also in. I am in the middle of a move right now, still in LML though. I have a GSP pup that has been doing very well with placeboard training. I am going to be starting long lead training and then off leash once we move as I will have a nice sized fenced yard to work in. What sort of stages is everyone at with there dogs?

fudge
12-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Just wondering if anyone is still interested in maybe making this happen,,,,, ?

Grizzlybalzer
03-28-2016, 12:20 PM
I am getting a 8 week old GWP in 10 days or so. and would love to just come out and learn about this all. I will want her for upland game as well maybe some ducks (havent decided yet) but just would be nice to meet up with people who have been in the same stage as me and help me guide my dog down the right path to becoming an excellent hunting dog. anyone keen for a meet up? i am.