PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a good white tail chop marinade/rub?

Fella
12-21-2014, 01:44 PM
A Friend shared his white tail bounty with my wife and I, so tonight I'm making deer chops for our christmas feast. Anyone have a simple tasty marinade/rub to recommend?

lovemywinchester
12-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Less is more I would say Fella. It doesn't take much to make WT delicious. A few hours before cooking you should coat chops in good olive oil, sprinkle with a little Montreal steak spice, s$p, and that's it! If you can cook it over charcoal, that should be done. Gas is good as well or even frying chops is awseome. Some might think its a waste to fry chops but it tatses great. If you caramalize some onions, garlic and ginger first then fry chops in that it is great. Use the pan remains to make a red wine reduction.

A red wine reduction is easy to make and adds a lot to any chop dinner. Thin slice the chops and drizzle with the wine and its so good.

The most important rule is NOT TO OVERCOOK
If you even suspect the chops are ready, remove from heat and let sit before you eat.

Thats how I do it. Hope they turn out great

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/red-wine-reduction

2wheellifer
12-21-2014, 04:12 PM
LEMON BASIL RUB

combine
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried lemon peel
1 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp dried basil

CAJUN RUB

combine
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne

SOUTHWESTERN RUB

combine
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin

My favorite is lemon basil

M.Dean
12-21-2014, 04:35 PM
What I find works the best for White Tail steak is this, have "Every Thing" else cooked "Before" the steaks go into a medium hot Cast Iron pan with a touch of margarine or butter, then salt and pepper lightly, but use all the garlic you want, I do and they taste great! Do Not over cook! That's why your salad's all ready made, potatoes are mashed all ready to go, have a drink mixed, no, have your thrid drink mixed, flip the steaks over in about 3 or 4 minutes, then cut into the thickest one to see if it's the way you like it, then eat like "King's"!!! Don't take any pic's, because I will drop by for dinner!!! Uninvited I might add!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Marinade in olive oil, soya sauce and your favorite steak spices(whatever they may be).
Get cast iron frying pan jumping hot with your favorite cooking oil(don't catch it on fire).
Depending on thickness, throw them in for 1min 20-30 seconds per side. Noi more. If you like your beef steaks med rare, go one shade more rare.
Let juices set.

SSS

Ovis17
12-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Ya I'd agree with most of the above. Large ziploc, put chops in. Add olive oil, mtl steak spice, worchestershire, maybe some fresh lemon juice and a teaspoon of chopped garlic. Let that sit in the fridge for 24 and grill to preferred level. Let stand for 5 and then devour!!

HOYT15
12-22-2014, 06:31 AM
I like to be very simple and only use a little salt & pepper. I do however like to make sure that I warm my plates, 180 degrees for about ten to fifteen minutes in the oven before grilling my chops. This way the chops, I like mine between rare and medium rare, don't start to cool down once they hit the plate.

zogg54
12-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Salt and Pepper in my opinion is the way to treat good meat. With wild game I cut the silver skin off as it tends to shrink and squeeze the juices out of the meat. Make sure you temper to room temperature and then on the grill at high heat. Sear one side, then flip over and turn down the grill. In our house we cook to medium rare on the rare side. Any deer, or beef cooked beyond medium rare is a criminal act. Enjoy!