PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting ready

rocksteady
03-23-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't do the bear hunt thing anymore (killed too many, it got boring)......However she is getting really close to gopher season....

In Region 4, only allowed to hint on private land with permission ( I already have 1000 aces tied up)....Only on land that is Pasture that the holes are a potential danger for livestock....

Nothing better on a nice spring afternoon, sitting in a lawn chair with my shooting sticks. Deck of smokes, brick of .22 shells and an Extra Large Timmy H's to sake off the winter dull drums of not firing enough ammunition....

Wish we had marmots or ground hogs here but gophers (ground squirrles ) will have to do...More of a challenge too.....

Hey Marc, can we set up a gopher contest?????

greybark
03-23-2007, 08:32 PM
:) Bear hunting boring ? Try crawling on your gut to with-in 20yds with your longbow . Eye to eye at distances closer then that cures that "boring" thing . Heck try 6yds on your hands and knees and the bear looks and is bigger then you . I don`t hunt bear like that now - my pacemaker would`t take it.- Cheers:lol:

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

BigD
03-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Try gopher hunting with a bow, better yet, a homemade bow from red willow, and homemade arrows from willow too, my brother and I did it as kids, pretty cool

Will
03-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Yep........chasing Bears is Great Fun !

Bored ? Leave the Gun at home and take a Camera....Worked for Treadwell for 12 Years :lol:

I really enjoy thje Spring Bear season...Nice weather, No Hunters, Lottsa Bears, Just great being out there !

I've shot my share of Bears but admit I have not shot one in a few years (4-5?)......still Look forward every Spring to getting out there though 8)

Those 8 Foot Blackies are scarce........:|

I've got a 17 Remington on the way.....access to plenty of Private Lands for Vermin too....Should be an Explosive Summer !!!!

sawmill
03-25-2007, 07:34 AM
[quote=BigD]Try gopher hunting with a bow, better yet, a homemade bow from red willow, and homemade arrows from willow too, my brother and I did it as kids, pretty cool[/quote
Me and my brother used to make those bows and we would use broken window pane glass for arrow heads.Then we would shoot at each other.I`m surprised I lived this long.Then we got pellet rifles...............:smile:

rocksteady
03-26-2007, 06:44 AM
Just to clarify here, I found that bear hunting was boring, because I had killed so many, gotten rugs done etc...The challenge was not there anymore for me....Never bowhunted for bear, maybe someday I will....

I have hunted and shot gophers both with my compound and crossbow, started to add up too much on bent and or broken arrows.

I like to do the .22 thing now, as its a pretty relaxing afternoon....Cheap fun too !!!!

hunter1947
03-26-2007, 07:24 AM
Where do you hunt turkey rocksteady HA HA Creek ???,LOL :lol: hunter 1947.

rocksteady
03-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Never been bitten by the turkey hunting bug. And whenever I do go out all I have ever seen is hens and chicks.....

Do pack a judo point in the quiver in case I bump into a jake during fall bow for elk season.....Haven't used it on a turkey yet, but they make a mess on a grouse....

LeverActionJunkie
03-29-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm itchin for gopher season too rocksteady, probably my favourite pastime, sitting in the sun, middle of a hay field with a brick of shells. Last year i spent 5 bricks soley on gophers, missed a few but not many:)