PDA

View Full Version : Good PR for us

TARCHER
12-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Tim Archer (https://www.facebook.com/tim.archer.528) and Andrew Weaver, MLA for Oak Bay-Gordon Head (https://www.facebook.com/AndrewWeaverMLA?ref=stream) shared a link (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.andrewweavermla.ca%2F2014 %2F12%2F20%2Fbc-hunters-short-stick%2F&h=6AQEjIz80&s=1).
https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQDwl-aYDZNymSVd&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.andrewweavermla.ca%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F12%2F10872291_101529127 97753518_1783771101_n.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1

(http://www.andrewweavermla.ca/2014/12/20/bc-hunters-short-stick/)
Resident BC Hunters Given Short End of the Stick (http://www.andrewweavermla.ca/2014/12/20/bc-hunters-short-stick/)
The government has decided to increase the proportion of hunting licenses that would be available for the guide outfitting industry at the expense of resident BC hunters.
andrewweavermla.ca

fearnodeer
12-20-2014, 07:48 AM
Good on them for doing this.

f350ps
12-20-2014, 08:05 AM
I'm not sure that chart showing staffs recommendations and the ministers decision is going to sway to many peoples minds, staff was giving away the farm anyways! K

bigwhiteys
12-20-2014, 09:28 AM
I have raised similar concerns in the past about the Grizzly Bear Trophy hunt. Unlike the Black Bear hunt, where hunters are required to “remove from the carcass the edible portions of the four quarters and loins to the person’s normal dwelling place or to a meat cutter or the owner or operator of a cold storage plant“, there is no such requirement in the case of Grizzlies. Most British Columbians, including the hunters I have spoken with, are not supportive of the trophy kill. Even the simple requirement of forcing hunters to remove all edible portions from grizzlies, as in the case for black bears, would be a step in the right direction.

Yep, he's on our side alright.

AJWeaver
12-20-2014, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure that chart showing staffs recommendations and the ministers decision is going to sway to many peoples minds, staff was giving away the farm anyways! K

Agree. I have the Allocation data from prior to 2007, and from 2007-2012 as well. There is a little "apples to apples" problem. I initially included the data but then removed it. The "Elk Achery" category became "Either Sex Elk". A couple of species are no longer on the list.

But good point. I forgot to add in the trends over time. I'll update now with a sentence or two

boilerroom
12-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Yep, he's on our side alright.

I guess you need to define "our side". I'm a hunter and I agree that rules should change for the grizzly bear hunt to include the same requirement as black bears... if you shoot it, eat it!

Respectfully,
BR

Rackmastr
12-20-2014, 09:15 PM
I guess you need to define "our side". I'm a hunter and I agree that rules should change for the grizzly bear hunt to include the same requirement as black bears... if you shoot it, eat it!

Respectfully,
BR

Same for coyotes, gophers, etc?

I'm with bigwhiteys on this one, I don't like the use of his 'trophy kill' term when referring to the grizzly bear hunt. I don't see a grizzly bear hunt as a 'trophy kill' at all, whether the legislative requirement to keep the meat or not.

Rhyno
12-20-2014, 09:16 PM
I do love a good coyote steak...mmm

boilerroom
12-20-2014, 09:30 PM

I'm with bigwhiteys on this one, I don't like the use of his 'trophy kill' term when referring to the grizzly bear hunt. I don't see a grizzly bear hunt as a 'trophy kill' at all, whether the legislative requirement to keep the meat or not.

For sure - a little oyster sauce makes a great stew :roll:... my point is the perception of a grizzly being killed and the meat not being taken does create a "trophy" connotation to many - and would Weaver et al be less against the grizzly hunt if there was the same rules as black bears.

bigwhiteys
12-20-2014, 09:40 PM
my point is the perception of a grizzly being killed and the meat not being taken does create a "trophy" connotation to many - and would Weaver et al be less against the grizzly hunt if there was the same rules as black bears.

Then we need to continue educating the non-hunting public perception about the conservation benefits of the Grizzly hunt and sound predator control, for which the Grizzly is definitely one. We must not fold on that front. The black bear meat requirement is also a concession we made to keep that hunt out of the crosshairs when it's really something every hunter should contribute too by getting 1 every year. We used to be allowed 5 bears I think... More people should be hunting them.

AJWeaver
12-21-2014, 01:02 AM
Re: Boilerroom's question: my objection to the Grizzly Bear Trophy Hunt is the waste (I think you nailed it with the connotation that a lot of people might have). I have never had a problem with hunting. I've enjoyed fresh Moose steaks in my time as well. So yes, I think that having requirements the same between Black and Grizzly bears re: edible meat would alleviate a lot of the problem. I will certainly be pressuring the Minister on this. The Grizzly Hunt in the Great Bear is a little sensitive right now in light of the agreement that looks like it might be signed shortly (http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/nineteen-year-battle-great-bear-rainforest-brink-peace-momentous-deadline-approaches).

I think the images of wasted Grizzly carcasses in the media have done a great disservice to BC hunters. Many people dont realize that this is not all that common. But it only takes one or two stories like what hit the news re: Clayton Stoner to make the public (including me) wonder what is going on (while totally coincidental, his last name didn't help matters).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ions-1.1339132 (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/nhl-player-in-grizzly-bear-hunting-dispute-with-b-c-first-nations-1.1339132)

What is important to me is that hunting be coupled with conservation. I think the BCWF gets that right (just like Ducks Unlimited) which is why I felt very comfortable supporting their position in this.

Anyway, I reiterate that I have never been against hunting and I firmly believe that it is an important part of British Columbia's heritage. I remain very troubled about the trend towards turning hunting over to a select few in an industry which now can be foreign owned.

Sofa King
12-21-2014, 01:12 AM
Then we need to continue educating the non-hunting public perception about the conservation benefits of the Grizzly hunt and sound predator control, for which the Grizzly is definitely one. We must not fold on that front. The black bear meat requirement is also a concession we made to keep that hunt out of the crosshairs when it's really something every hunter should contribute too by getting 1 every year. We used to be allowed 5 bears I think... More people should be hunting them.

most grizzly hunts are definitely NOT about predator control.
who you trying to kid?
they are almost entirely trophy hunts.

Bugle M In
12-21-2014, 01:53 AM
most grizzly hunts are definitely NOT about predator control.
who you trying to kid?
they are almost entirely trophy hunts.

Absolutely.
While agree fully to having Grizz hunts, if the meat sits there, what else would you call it???
Yes, one could give an ever so slight calling to predator control at times, but meat sitting there, wasting??
A wolf laying there, or a coyote, has sound reason to call it predator control for the most part, but still with some trophy in it's hide for some.
And yes, it doesn't help us as hunters to others, if that is what they see....and I agree with them.

f350ps
12-21-2014, 03:05 AM
Absolutely.
While agree fully to having Grizz hunts, if the meat sits there, what else would you call it???
Yes, one could give an ever so slight calling to predator control at times, but meat sitting there, wasting??
A wolf laying there, or a coyote, has sound reason to call it predator control for the most part, but still with some trophy in it's hide for some.
And yes, it doesn't help us as hunters to others, if that is what they see....and I agree with them.
So, in your mind, what's the difference between a wolf, coyote and a Griz hunt? K

Bugle M In
12-21-2014, 12:41 PM
For me, if I were to shoot a coyote....I would probably think, target practice, predator control.
As for shooting Wolf, ya the hide would be cool, ( some have really nice markings ), so somewhat trophy"ish", but for the most part predator control.
( I owned huskies, so for me, it does not come easy to put my sights on a wolf....it happened to me once....a pack of 17 w/large alpha in the lead, lots of time to shoot....
But, no desire to really kill )
Now, I wouldn't hesitate, it would be in the name of predator control first and instantly...maybe after the thought of trophy would apply to the hide.
Grizzly hunting, as I have stated in other posts, could be used in a Predator control, and the reason why I have question why they do not allow a few tags in the Fall for problem Grizz ( ex. Grizz removing game in camp ).
But For the most part, they are a trophy, I can see a bigger reason for the most part.
Yes some predator control is involved with Grizz hunting...But....
" Do you think people from outside BC or Canada, actually come to BC to hunt Girzz to help us with Predator Control Issues"????????????????????????????
And if you say " Yes"
" Than why do GO's need larger allocation numbers??? There are so many Wolves around, these same Customers which want to help us with our Grizzly Predator Problem, should being wanting to come here in droves to help us
with our wolf problems"!!!
Oh wait!! why aren't they????
Wolf is not a trophy as compared to a Grizz, is it.

Apolonius
12-21-2014, 07:54 PM
In the other thread days ago i said on our war with GOABC, i suggested that we need help from guys like Mr Weaver.If we opened our minds ,maybe there are more similarities between the antis and the hunters.Every hunter should be an environmentalist as it is without a healthy environment there would be no wildlife.And sustainable hunting is not a bad thing.And the thing about foreigners funding the antis???….we know for sure who funds GOABC?And the Liberals couldn't care less about you and me.The reply to a letter writer from Bill Benett said it all.At least Mr Weaver is the only one that came out and supported us.The BC Conservatives did anyone hear from them?And don't think i am a member of Mr Weavers party…nope, a card carrying BC Conservative.But lately as i stated in my other post…i started questioning my beliefs.One thing i know for sure, the Liberals will sell us again and again.And please someone tell Mr Ellis ,stop crying about loosing on the allocation ,you are not a good actor.

40incher
12-21-2014, 08:59 PM

Respectfully,
BR

Should have happened a long time ago ...

The GOABC are dinosaurs who still use the term "trophy hunting" in their propaganda!! Duhhhh ...!!!

Time for the next ice age!?