PDA

View Full Version : Dog Insurance

Sarge789
12-16-2014, 08:06 PM
I've got a 6 month old pure bred black lab and I'm wondering if anyone has any positive experience or advice with any companies?

thank you

yamadirt 426
12-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Id do it now for the next year. I would have saved at least a G on my current dog and have used it in the past on other injurys with other dogs

marco604
12-16-2014, 08:37 PM
I've got a 6 month old pure bred black lab and I'm wondering if anyone has any positive experience or advice with any companies?

thank you

We have our dog covered through Trupanion and have friends that are covered through the same company. No complaints, good coverage and at a reasonable price

yamadirt 426
12-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Once they blow something or hurt themselves in another way uninsured then once insured if it was to repeat the same injury it won't likely be covered That's why I would do it now. At least through the puppy years

Peter Pepper
12-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Pet insurance saved my bank account several times when my hound was young. Not as important now that he has matured an is not as stupid.

keoke
12-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Keep your money, set a side what you would pay monthly for insurance in a bamk account. I wish i did.

jlirot
12-16-2014, 11:44 PM
I was looking into insurance - and heard nothing but bad reviews. 700 bucks a year is a lot of dough for insurance...That's the quote I just got from Trupanion. I would like to be convinced it's a good idea....

Angus
12-17-2014, 09:15 AM
When I picked up my pup nine years ago, I immediately bought pet insurance. Years earlier I had to put a young dog down because I couldn't afford to pay for his surgery, and I promised myself that I wouldn't put myself and my dog through that again. So, before I got another dog, I waited until a monthly insurance premium of $60 would not really impact my finances. Ten years later I got my current pup.

Yeah it adds up annually, and I've probably paid over $10K in premiums over the nine years, but it gives me peace of mind and it's not a significant monthly hit to the point that it where it impacts me financially.

I still pay for my dog's annual check ups and minor issues out of pocket, but the insurance is there to manage any big ticket items such as major surgeries, where I don't have to absorb a big financial hit all at once.

Insurance, it's a personal decision, and is a decision I made so that when I have to make that big decision, finances don't figure into it. If you're looking for a recommended insurer, fire me a PM.

Cheers

Trojans16
12-17-2014, 10:02 AM
I was looking into insurance - and heard nothing but bad reviews. 700 bucks a year is a lot of dough for insurance...That's the quote I just got from Trupanion. I would like to be convinced it's a good idea....

I'm not paying half that per year for my dog with trupanion, but it does depend on breed, age, sex, deductable etc..

Peace of mind is a great thing. If you spend a lot of time in the bush with your dog you will probably be happy you have it.

jlirot
12-17-2014, 10:10 AM
That was for 250 deductible. Maybe I should bump it up to 500-750 and see what it costs. Really only need it for big things anyway.

I'm not paying half that per year for my dog with trupanion, but it does depend on breed, age, sex, deductable etc..

Peace of mind is a great thing. If you spend a lot of time in the bush with your dog you will probably be happy you have it.

Iron Glove
12-17-2014, 10:56 AM
I am in the Insurance Industry, just coming to the end of an over 40 + year career.
Both of our dogs are insured thru Trupanion and our experience with them has been pretty good. We pay @ $130 a month total.
As others have said, it's really about protecting yourself from the "big hit" if something serious ever happens to your pet. Yes, you can put that $130 per month in the Bank and if you don't have any incidents over 10 years, you've saved a lot of $$. On the other hand, one major accident or surgery and you might be in trouble. We have been pretty lucky health wise, few claims, so I guess Trupanion has profited from us, but we can sleep at nights not having to worry that something will happen to one, or both of our dogs where a decision on their lifes will have to be made based solely on finances.
Daughter's Lab had a serious problem last year, ended up costing over $15,000 in Vet bills. If it hadn't been for the Insurance, they would have been forced to put the dog down. They also have two cats that have had some serious stuff over the years, again, costly. There is a saying in Insurance that goes "The losses of the few are paid by the premiums of the many" and that's the situation in our family. :mrgreen:
Don't buy Insurance and use it for the small stuff - our Vet would routinely send of a claim to Trupanion even if the insured part of the bill was small. Told them, no, we have Insurance for the big stuff, I don't want to be nickel and diming as eventually the Insurer will dump you or up your premium or deductible.
You will have a number of deductible options and coinsurance options. Coinsurance is where you pay a fixed percentage, such as 80% of the insurable claim. You paying 20% of a $500 claim is only $100 - big deal, the kid's Lab on the other hand was $3,000. Ouch.
Trupanion also rates on the area you live in - we received a decent rate reduction when we moved from Vancouver to Hope as the Vet's fees are considerably cheaper here.
I suggest you take a look at a number of plans that are available and ask your Vet about the differences, how each Company handles claims, etc. and read the wordings of each. Some will include a whole lot of things but exclude certain tests, boarding, etc., others will pay it all but the diseases or accidents you are concerned most about won't be covered.
Trupanion has been very good to us and our kid's Lab, no real complaints.
I did have one "discussion" with them after our male was attacked by another dog ( at the breeders of all places ) and he had a few puncture wounds, etc. Trupanion said they excluded "dog fights" and I agreed but explained the circumstances - my dog was attacked by another male, it wasn't a "fight." Had witnesses to back it up and people who would speak to the non aggressiveness of our dog. I cited some legal definitions and such and they finally relented "Without Prejudice" and agreed but in any event by the time the Deductible was taken off, I said don't bother, it was a matter of principle. The Trupanion people now say "Ah yes, you're the Insurance Guy" if I call.
So, really it boils down to - can you afford to deal with your dog's health issues if you don't have insurance vs. having the insurance and not having to worry as much?

BigSlapper
12-17-2014, 06:08 PM
PetSecure .... have been excellent. $75 a month to cover anything ... I mean anything that happens.

Squamch
12-17-2014, 09:14 PM
many outfits don't cover "known issues" with breeds.
so if your german shepherd has hip issues...too bad.
your french bulldog has sinus issues...too bad.
Trigger was about 2 1/2 when he needed a $4500 surgery. At $60/month, I would have paid $1800 in, and had the surgery covered...except that pitbulls are known for luxating patellas, so it might not have been.
A buddy has a lab who will do ANYTHING for garbage, Ronin has been operated on 3 times for blockages, all covered by insurance. PS-Dogs can't digest grumpy plugs. Not on the first try, or the second, or the third. Oh, and steel, locking garbage cans are bad for dog's teeth.