PDA

View Full Version : Spot Gen 3

luckofthedraw
12-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Looking for info on this product. How do you like it, monthly fee etc?

I had a instance where family needed to contact me this season, and it could have turned into a disaster as my wife and kids came looking for me in the mazda. I'm not gonna let that happen again.

thanks.

Jagermeister
12-16-2014, 10:36 AM
I use the 1st generation. Cost me a $100 yearly. I check in twice a day when out. That way the wife knows where to send the fuzz to find me. On the other hand, if an emergency situation occurs on my end, and I cannot push the button and I have not checked in, then the last fix is the starting point for commencing a search. For $150/year, I could have the bread crumb trail feature that marks your progress as you move and sends this back at your selected time interval. This latter feature has to be disabled to send the other check-in/okay and 911 messages.
Your messages can be sent to cellular or email addresses and include a map point if the device supports that feature.

Ranger95
12-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Looking for info on this product. How do you like it, monthly fee etc?

I had a instance where family needed to contact me this season, and it could have turned into a disaster as my wife and kids came looking for me in the mazda. I'm not gonna let that happen again.

thanks.

Spot is OK - but so yesterday!

Have a look at this device (http://youtu.be/LqQukvj_diI)- two way communication anywhere on the planet, and I mean anywhere on the planet! and you simply switch it off ($4.00 a month) when you don't need it.

luckofthedraw
12-16-2014, 12:20 PM
I use the 1st generation. Cost me a $100 yearly. I check in twice a day when out. That way the wife knows where to send the fuzz to find me. On the other hand, if an emergency situation occurs on my end, and I cannot push the button and I have not checked in, then the last fix is the starting point for commencing a search. For $150/year, I could have the bread crumb trail feature that marks your progress as you move and sends this back at your selected time interval. This latter feature has to be disabled to send the other check-in/okay and 911 messages.
Your messages can be sent to cellular or email addresses and include a map point if the device supports that feature.

Sounds decent. How do you like it? Worth it in your opinion?

Spot is OK - but so yesterday!

Have a look at this device (http://youtu.be/LqQukvj_diI)- two way communication anywhere on the planet, and I mean anywhere on the planet! and you simply switch it off ($4.00 a month) when you don't need it.

Ya, this is what I've heard. Is it only 2-way between delorme's or with cell phones? Is it literally 4$ a month, or are there hidden usage charges?

Thanks

luckofthedraw
12-16-2014, 12:32 PM
The Delorme is 350$. The Spot 3 through Bass pro right now is 149.99 with a 50% off mail in rebate.

I don't have 300 plus for the delorme. 75$ for a spot seems worth it.....?

Poguebilt
12-16-2014, 12:43 PM
im going delorme... way better pay stucture...

604ksmith
12-16-2014, 12:58 PM
I have a Spot3 Gen and it works perfectly for me as I do a lot of solo hunt/fishing trips fairly off the grid. It is somewhat pricey at $140 a year in service fees, but with that said, I've never been in an area that didn't get my signal through so I think it's worth it. Also, if you setup a strategy with friends/family using the pre-sent notifications you can manage to stay safe without needing 2 way communication.

For instance, the SPOT has the SOS button (first aid, life threatening) but it also has an "Im, ok" button and a custom button. It's this custom button that I use for a specific contact list of people (which can be changed online before every trip) to alert those reliable/handy people within driving distance of where I am that "I'm fine, but need assistance in some non life threatening way." This way I don't need to alert the SOS and pay for rescue fee's if I really just need help packing out a Moose, or getting my truck unstuck. Before I leave for each trip, simply change the list if need be and call whoever is on the list to remind them they could get a message. This has worked perfectly for me in the past, I don't think 2 way is really a necessity.

Bottom line, Spot Gen 3 is the "gold standard" of personal gps safety devices and I feel completely safe using it. To me, that's worth the money.

Jagermeister
12-16-2014, 01:00 PM
I bought a SPOT years back. Had it in the box a couple of years before activating it. I have not investigated Delorme outside of a cursory glance. What I saw did not interest me beyond. The tether that SPOT provides me is sufficient. If there is a need for greater communication than what I get with SPOT, I might as well stay within cell phone range or stay home. I received a SPOT offer on a TRACE that is exclusive to current subscribers, good to the end of the month. I may take advantage of that as it will enable me to track rolling stock that may be on a purloined journey.

HarryToolips
12-16-2014, 01:05 PM
I recently got the Spot GPS that sends my location to my wife's email when I send her simple messages...I like it as I hunt alone mostly and at least she knows I'm doin AOK..

nedarb2
12-16-2014, 01:26 PM
i have the spot gen 2. works great. the messaging products (delorme or spot has it too) seem to be more expensive and when i glanced at them you had to pay for the # of messages. the big reason i didnt go that route - i dont want to be bugged when im out for the day with messages. I send my check ins - i dont need feedback about why i am somewhere or when am i coming home dinner is getting cold.

Now, if i am away for 2-3 weeks without cell service the messaging feature would be useful for communicating (or the spot satellite phone). my answer would change if i was using it for excursions >2-3 days at a time.

Ranger95
12-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Sounds decent. How do you like it? Worth it in your opinion?

Ya, this is what I've heard. Is it only 2-way between delorme's or with cell phones? Is it literally 4$ a month, or are there hidden usage charges?

Thanks

So when your season is over / hunting or fishing - why pay a full monthly fee?

Suspending and unsuspending service: After the initial 30-day term, you can suspend/unsuspend your plan as often as you like.

The monthly fee while your plan is suspended is just $4.95 and there is no fee to unsuspend your plan.

While the service is suspended the inReach device cannot transmit, however users retain access to their online account and historical data in the Explore web application

Will spot allow you to do this?

Two way communication is essential in my books, lets say you fall and twist your ankle, do you want them sending a full on medical team to get you - hell no - you can talk to them (emphasis been on communicate like in two way conversation) telling them exactly what you need - be it a helicopter, a tow truck, or just bring me some gas!

I cant honestly see how you can do that with pre recorded messages to be honest!

I've had my in-reach with me in Europe, Africa , and the Middle east this year alone, my wife was never more than a text message to her cell phone or email to her computer away at the fraction of the cost of Sat phones.

On a moose hunt in 15b (100 miles from the nearest cell tower) I connected (paired) my iPhone to my in-reach and ran "hunt buddy" with real time GPS tracking - same goes for Google maps on my iPad for navigation on those crap FSR's, we never got lost or strayed out of our Management Unit - could spot do that for you - I honestly don't know, but somehow don't think so!

luckofthedraw
12-16-2014, 04:50 PM
So when your season is over / hunting or fishing - why pay a full monthly fee?

Suspending and unsuspending service: After the initial 30-day term, you can suspend/unsuspend your plan as often as you like.

The monthly fee while your plan is suspended is just $4.95 and there is no fee to unsuspend your plan.

While the service is suspended the inReach device cannot transmit, however users retain access to their online account and historical data in the Explore web application

Will spot allow you to do this?

Two way communication is essential in my books, lets say you fall and twist your ankle, do you want them sending a full on medical team to get you - hell no - you can talk to them (emphasis been on communicate like in two way conversation) telling them exactly what you need - be it a helicopter, a tow truck, or just bring me some gas!

I cant honestly see how you can do that with pre recorded messages to be honest!

I've had my in-reach with me in Europe, Africa , and the Middle east this year alone, my wife was never more than a text message to her cell phone or email to her computer away at the fraction of the cost of Sat phones.

On a moose hunt in 15b (100 miles from the nearest cell tower) I connected (paired) my iPhone to my in-reach and ran "hunt buddy" with real time GPS tracking - same goes for Google maps on my iPad for navigation on those crap FSR's, we never got lost or strayed out of our Management Unit - could spot do that for you - I honestly don't know, but somehow don't think so!

Love the passion. Keep it coming. ;)

kurtl
12-16-2014, 05:16 PM
I never heard of the inReach before. Looking at their Canadian fee structure, the cheapest monthly cost is $16.95. This plan pretty much includes nothing. If you want 100 text messages you have to go to plan 2. I'm not a big texter on my cell phon, but I can say that 100 messages gets used up pretty quick. Plan 2 with 100 messages is $29.95 per month. If you would use this lots for fishing/hunting season that's probably at least 8 months a year, so plan 2 would cost you $240 a year and then another $20 just to maintain your account. To me the SPOT seems like the more economical choice.

thunderheart
12-17-2014, 07:46 AM
great info .. thanks

argyle1
12-27-2014, 04:05 PM
I paid $70 for 1 month unlimited texting and email on my inreach for August, the shut it down and pay 5 bucks a month to keep my account. It's a lot handier than the spot was. Having said that, 5 years ago and befor the beaver just dropped us off wherever, and communication was over for two weeks. The times they are a'changing

todbartell
12-27-2014, 07:09 PM
I used a SPOT for 3 years, sold it recently and will go with the Delorme inReach SE. I like the ability to send and receive messages and I only use it a couple times a year so I can cancel the service until I need it again