PDA

View Full Version : Poodle pointer

tadpole
12-14-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm looking for universal hunting companion. With retrieving and blood tracking in mind. Anybody owns one to share some information about them. Prey drive level? Temperament? Any breeders of hunting stock in BC?

Foxton Gundogs
12-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Are you talking about the breed Pudelpointer or a Poodle Pointer cross? If you are talking about the breed then I have known a few and they all seemed to be good Versatile Gundogs if you are speaking of a mix breed then no one can say what genes will meld and what traits will come out.

tadpole
12-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Sorry for misspell. I was thinking about pure bred hunting stock Pudelpointers. I have not much interest in funny named mutts.:D

adriaticum
12-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Talk to big bore he's got one

SPEYMAN
12-15-2014, 05:25 PM
Had mine for 13 years. Wonderful dog but he had a mind of his own. Trialed Labs for a number of years with several different Labs. Never had one that kept me on my toes like the Pudelpointer did. Always thought I would get another Wasserhunt(sp) some day.

Trojans16
12-15-2014, 10:59 PM
My Pudelpointer Buckley is about 20 months now. He's out of the cedar woods kennel in Boise Idaho. Bob Farris is the breeder and would be a good resource to start with if your really interested. Buck is incredibly driven to hunt, don't think you would have concerns there as they're bred pretty much exclusively to hunt. No bc breeders, best bet is to look south of the border.

i can only speak to my dog but he's pretty consistent with what you would find reading about the breed; eager to please but high strung. Needs hours of excersize daily or he'll drive you crazy. Wouldn't trade him for anything.

tadpole
12-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Thanks for all the info folks. I had dogs all my life and I know that choosing a companion wisely is a very important task. i like to do my good research so owners opinions are important as well.

bschub
12-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Although you are committed to Pudlepointer, I would like to suggest you look at my Standard Poodle Ad. I am trying to find a qualified hunt home for him as he is 11 weeks.
My Facebook public page has a stop action video of him at 8 weeks. (LILAC AND TONY'S SILVER STANDARD POODLE PUPPIES)
Soon I am going to get a live pigeon for him to retrieve. As you may know, standard poodles are gaining a great reputation for pheasant hunting,also. because they have style and great nose and flash point as in spaniels. This litter was specifically bred for drive and boldness. Sire duck hunts the mouth of Columbia River 30 days a year for 3 years now. Altough I describe my poodle pup as bold, birdiness, people oriented, I would not describe him as high strung.
Barb

tadpole
12-16-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm not committed to any particular breed at the present. What I'm searching for is a medium versatile dog but not high strung and blood tracking would be definite asset. Poodles are super smart dogs but their hair as like velcro and I suspect it must attract all kind of particles. My wife would love to have one though but I am more reserved.

yamadirt 426
12-16-2014, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't describe any griff I've met high strung or at least what I would consider high strung. My boy is particularly laid back and always has been. He is over 3 now. Also not often they get over 60lbs for a male. They do it all as hunting goes. However if it's just retrieving and tracking I would not over look the poodle available. But if pointing is another thing your into then get a breed like a wpg, pp, gwp, and the few other like breeds. Maybe a poodle points But I don't know ? Good luck

Trojans16
12-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Looks like high strung was taken more negatively than it was meant. Maybe high energy would've been a better choice of words. He's not aggressive and does not require a heavy hand training wise - just room to stretch his legs..
Pudelpointers are great hunting dogs and there is proven first rate breeding to go along with them. One issue there is you might have to wait a little to get a pup.
You also get to try and explain what a Pudelpointer is to every person who asks, "what breed is he"? Everyone immediately thinks doodle dog so by a year old you just say, he's wire haired pointer...

hotload
12-17-2014, 11:29 AM
There are many Versatile Breeds available that do it all, and medium size can be found easily. Do your research, find your breed, hone in on a proper experienced breeder that breeds dogs toward your specific needs, check the lineage to help qualify this. Get your pup and train it accordingly. Any Versatile Dog will thank you for giving it one of its inherent jobs to perform.

bschub
01-15-2015, 10:51 AM
thanks for your response, true the coat is long. All the folks I know that hunt with poodles keep the coat short (as do I). No point in long coat in the field work.

Foxton Gundogs
01-15-2015, 11:04 AM
thanks for your response, true the coat is long. All the folks I know that hunt with poodles keep the coat short (as do I). No point in long coat in the field work.

Just a humorous point of interest on "poodle" cuts post #6 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?112663-STANDARD-POODLE-PUP-registered-1700-00