PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat experience

rides bike to work
12-14-2014, 05:29 PM
I have been able to get pics of a bobcat two years in a row on my trail cam with bait but have not got a shot at him yet. So hopefully this is my year.

I would like to hear other people's experiences with bobcats successful hunts ,sightings.

Any tips for hunting off a bait pile when do you sit on it two nights after you set up, a week after.

Has anyone treed one tracking in the snow.

Calling them in.

Im hunting the coastal mountains Chilliwack area.

I have three cameras out and will post pics here when they start coming in

thanks for any input

plumberjustin
12-14-2014, 07:13 PM
I was hiking up above Allouette Lake this afternoon, and a bobcat jumped across the trail ahead of me about 80 yards away. Never hunted or spotted any cats to date, so it was pretty exhilarating. I continued on my hike, didn't spot the cat again.

Rich_D
12-15-2014, 01:36 AM
Got one last year with my e-caller. Came in to a rabbit distress.

caddisguy
12-15-2014, 07:08 AM
I was sitting with my gf on a log back in September. We were back to back, descented (except I was chewing mint nicorette gum) and covered on camo. We had a pretty big bobcat (maybe 40lbs) stalk it's way in. Gf didn't see it until it was a few yards away. She says "cat coming" ... I thought cougar for sure so I stood up, turned and yelled at it simultaneously. It dashed up a tree. Went to the same area last weekend and found bobcat tracks everywhere.

The thought of hunting it has crossed my mind. Maybe rabbit in distress and some more mint nicorette gum?

000buck
12-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Yeah here's a tip READ THE REGS. IT IS UNLAWFUL TO BAIT PREDATORS FOR ANY REASON

Good2bCanadian
12-15-2014, 08:09 AM
Your sure of that?

#1fishslayer
12-15-2014, 08:28 AM
^^^ what he said^^^ you sure about that TIP?

rides bike to work
12-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Ya 000 buck you sure about that phht

monasheemountainman
12-15-2014, 08:36 AM
I think setting up and calling for them would be your best bet!

Knute
12-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Pages 14 & 15 of the regs IT'S UNLAWFUL...paragraphs 15,18,33 & 36. Bobcat related articles.

Looks to me to be OK to bait bobcat, I see no mention of them in paragraph 18. YMMV

caddisguy
12-15-2014, 09:36 AM
The synopsis isn't the best reference for finding out what is legal and what is not legal. Other than the posted schedules and Regulations--which need to be followed according to the Wildilfe Act, such as not baiting bears--it tries to summarize a number of laws and best practices. The best source to find out the law is... well, the law itself. This is the relevant section of the Wildlife Act. Note that if you are hunting in a provincial park, that is an enitrely different cup of tea and according to the Parks Act, any sort of "feeding" is pretty much a no-go all around. Lets start with the Wildlife Act:

----------

Attracting dangerous wildlife

33.1 (1) A person must not

(a) intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife, or

(b) provide, leave or place an attractant in, on or about any land or premises with the intent of attracting dangerous wildlife.

(2) A person must not leave or place an attractant in, on or about any land or premises where there are or where there are likely to be people, in a manner in which the attractant could

(a) attract dangerous wildlife to the land or premises, and

(b) be accessible to dangerous wildlife.

(3) Subject to subsections (5) and (6), a person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) commits an offence.

(4) If an offence under this section continues for more than one day, separate fines, each not exceeding the maximum fine for that offence, may be imposed for each day the offence continues.

(5) A person does not contravene subsection (1) (b) or (2) by providing, leaving or placing an attractant in, on or about any land or premises for the purposes of hunting or trapping wildlife in accordance with all other applicable provisions of this Act and the regulations.

(6) A person does not contravene subsection (2)

(a) by conducting a farm operation, as defined in section 1 of the Farm Practices Protection (Right to Farm) Act, if the person

(i) conducts the farm operation on, in or over land anywhere in British Columbia, and

(ii) meets the requirements set out in section 2 (2) (a) and (c) of that Act, or

(b) by operating a facility for the disposal of waste, that is operated in accordance with the Environmental Management Act by a municipality, as defined in section 1 (1) of that Act.

(7) For the purposes of this section, "leave", in relation to a person who is an owner, tenant or occupant of land or premises, includes to fail to remove an attractant from or to allow an attractant to remain in, on or about that land or those premises.

----------

I'm not a lawyer, but under the Wildlife Act, it almost looks like you could hunt over just about any sort of attractant (except for bears) as long as you do not "feed" the animal. You can bait but not feed. It seems only bears you can't "bait". There does some to be a contridiction about feeding/baiting dangerous wildlife though. The Wildlfe Act implies you can do so, but the synopsis seems to imply that you can't "feed" (in the case of coyotes, wolves, cougar, etc) "unless engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized". Also according to the definition of bait in the synopsis, it covers any product or material that could attract wildlife (I wonder if that could even cover calls?) with the exception fo a decoy.
----------

And now the Park, Conservancy and Recreation Area Regulation

Feeding of wildlife

30 No person shall feed wildlife in a park, conservancy or recreation area.

[am. B.C. Reg. 215/2006, Sch. s. 8.]

Though (I'm not 100% sure) but I believe one may still be able to place an attractant (with no nutritional value) in a Provincial park which allows hunting... perhaps doe urine? Perhaps you could hunt over an attractant (even edible) as long as you do not allow an animal to eat it?

There are likely more laws at play here that could be added to give a full picture. Seems pretty complicated. Luckily I don't need to worry about it other than leaving out a bit of peanut butter of a mineral block on crown land with the intent to stop deer and have them detour by the cam.

000buck
12-15-2014, 10:19 AM
I would seriously check with the co. The definition is is dangerous wildlife with a few examples. I don't know about you but I'm not petting a bobcat

rides bike to work
12-15-2014, 02:10 PM
I would like to speak to my lawyer