PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits

o2fish2day
03-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Hi all,

My hunting partner and I are new at the hunting game and we have been looking for everything....Deer, Grouse, Rabbits etc.

We got started very late last season so we haven't had any luck.... Since the only open game right now appears to be rabbits I am looking for some help....

I hunt region 3 and Hope area. I would like to know of any tips that come to mind.. If you don't want to post them because they are area specific then just drop me an e-mail.

What is the best method? (wait for them to appear or drive around, walk in the woods etc?)

What kind of terrain am I looking for (any pictures?) What kind of plants etc.

What time of year do they turn brown to white and white to brown?

Is there anywhere that might cause them to be concentrated?

What about Hope? Are there any there?

Appreciate the help.

Gnarly
03-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Walk the edges of the blackberry bushes so prevalent in the lower mainland looking into them , best done in February to April, dispatch wascally wabbits with shotgun.

BearSniper
03-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi Fish2day,

If you want to go for a little dirve, head up towards the Coquihalla and take any of the FSR's off the lower portion before the snowshed.:)

Walk into the thick stuff and look fror tracks. Keep a close eye on tree bases at dusk and you'll see the shapes of the ears and bodies. It won't be long and they'll soon turn colour back to brown.

I also got a few up the Upper Coldwater FSR just past the Toll Booth. Go in about 1-2 km and walk the forest. Hares everywhere. But right now you may need snowshoes.

Have you thought of Coyotes?

If you go just a little east of Hope to the other side of Manning park(region 8), the season's open until June 30th. :)

Also, a good way to practice with an unlimited source of target is Squirrels.
Any FSR off the TCH north of Hope has tons of them. Lots of Hunting magazine articles point out that in the off season, plinking squirrels at 75 meters with say a .22 with a scope is just as challenging as shooting a Deer at 300 meters.

Get out there and have fun ! :) Good Luck.

BearSniper
03-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Fish2day

I'll try to post a photo here:)

Derp
03-23-2007, 10:01 AM
anyone from the lowermainland?

I was working last summer in richmond (construction) at a water treatment facility plant on lulu island. I gotta say, i've never seen that many rabbits in my life! They were EVERYWHERE! you could hunt them with rocks lol (not saying that i did that :roll: )

so around that place and farmlands there are tons. I'm just not sure you can hunt them there.

sako7mm
03-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Hi Fish2day,

Any FSR off the TCH north of Hope has tons of them. Lots of Hunting magazine articles point out that in the off season, plinking squirrels at 75 meters with say a .22 with a scope is just as challenging as shooting a Deer at 300 meters.

A great idea, however they are considered wildlife under the Wildlife Act and there is no open season on squirrels. They are open to trappers as they are considered a furbearing animal during the open trapping season.

BearSniper
03-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Hello Sako7mm:)

Just a friendly correction Sir........

page 14 of the regs; bottom left paragraph

Schedule C animals. Can be captured or killed anywhere in B.C. .......

.....all Species of genus Scirius. Grey and Fox Squirrels.....

Lots of Grey squirrels near Hope. You can even hunt Cotontail Rabbit, Crows, Opossum, Turtles, Nutria, Bullfrogs, Magpies etc.

In the first part of Schedule C, you don't even need a Hunting licence.:) Just a firearm licence or Bow.

sako7mm
03-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Correct, but you never said that:wink: , however the red squirrel is protected and no one wants to get a ticket for shooting an annoying little squirrel. As always, check the regs before you go and then you can avoid an embarrassing situation.

o2fish2day
03-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Great info thanks!!

Hi Fish2day,

If you want to go for a little dirve, head up towards the Coquihalla and take any of the FSR's off the lower portion before the snowshed.:)

Walk into the thick stuff and look fror tracks. Keep a close eye on tree bases at dusk and you'll see the shapes of the ears and bodies. It won't be long and they'll soon turn colour back to brown.

I also got a few up the Upper Coldwater FSR just past the Toll Booth. Go in about 1-2 km and walk the forest. Hares everywhere. But right now you may need snowshoes.

Have you thought of Coyotes?

If you go just a little east of Hope to the other side of Manning park(region 8), the season's open until June 30th. :)

Get out there and have fun ! :) Good Luck.