PDA

View Full Version : radios for logging rds

buck nash
12-13-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm thinking that I really should look into getting a radio for communicating with logging trucks.

I don't know much about them so any info would be helpful. In particular what type of radio do they use,where to buy them and what kind of price range I'm looking at.

Also I heard you're supposed to be licensed. True or false?

winchester284
12-13-2014, 10:30 PM
You're supposed to have a radio license, however as it is a safety issue it's unlikely you would be fined as long as you followed proper radio protocol.

You can buy a VHF radio online or from a mobile radio shop. They need to have the appropriate channels programmed in. Portable units will cost you $200 plus and have a range of less than 5 km while a vehicle mounted unit can go as high as $1000 and has a range of 30 plus km.

You may be able to find used or refurbished units for considerably less.

Johnny G1
12-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Just google Antenna Farm, gives you all the info and a good place to buy and they will ship to Canada. VHF radio's are getting cheaper all the time and lots of places here to buy them, Licence???? very few people have them. the word lately they are not needed???

albravo2
12-13-2014, 10:46 PM
great thread on this about 9 months ago, including a bunch of cheap units for sale on ebay. i mean to go back and find it one day to buy my own portable radio.

pretty sure it was open chat.

search 'radio' 'logging'

Chiron
12-13-2014, 10:54 PM
Your need a amateur radio license for the amateur bands. The logging roads use commercial frequencies typically in the VHF band. An inexpensive VHF/UHF radio is the Baofeng UV-5R; search the internet, lots of info on them. I have one and it's great value. You can get them from amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV5R-136-174-400-480-Dual-Band/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418535531&sr=8-1&keywords=uv-5r) or online sites from HK. (http://www.dx.com/p/baofeng-1-5-lcd-5w-136-174mhz-400-470mhz-dual-band-walkie-talkie-w-1-led-flashlight-black-129389#.VI0hRYrF_fc) Legally, you are to use commercial radios that are preprogrammed with the FSR frequencies; they will work on the FSR frequencies but not considered commercial radios.

buck nash
12-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Ok thanks guys, this gives me a good start to research.
My wife was looking for a last min xmas gift idea, so I'll see if I
can figure out an affordable option tbatcan be had by Christmas.

Big Lew
12-14-2014, 08:40 AM
It might be prudent to check the start of some of the roads in the area you're interested in first.
This fall I was in an extensive area where they had gone digital so I couldn't pick them up with my
VHF scanner.

BuckEye
12-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Was up the east end of Harrison a month ago and the sign with the frequencies the logging company wants you to use stated a radio could be provided to you through the Agassi office if you didn't have one. I monitor the frequency with a scanner and it is great to know where all the trucks are. I'm going to get a handheld with a higher end antenna.
A great local supplier of radios and accessories is www.fleetwooddp.com

jlirot
12-14-2014, 09:33 AM
I bought a motorola set of 3 radios for the kids when we're skiing or hiking. And I bought a UV-5R for me :-). Now I'll have to spend xmas morning trying to figure the damn thing out...

I thought I saw there was a license for use on frequencies other than GMRS. For one reason or another I thought it was just a form and a 40 dollar payment. Or was that the old system for GMRS?

Anyone have a link?

BULLNUTTS
12-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Always a Very good idea to have and know how to use the radio and also drive acordingly when travelling on busy logging roads! As anyone who has survived close encounters with loaded logging trucks on narrow logging roads will tell you - there is little forgiveness if there is no room[ as in blind corners ect] and time is up.Time schedules are very tight now with loggers and they must get er to the mill in time to make the other runs needed so often are moving at a real steady pace-not easy to stop with the weight they carry.for someone in a pick-up and no radio? lets just say more than a few have had to call home for clean shorts!!! Grate idea Buck Nash - play it safe . Good Huntin BULLNUTTS

caddisguy
12-14-2014, 11:22 AM
You might just consider getting a handheld scanner instead of a 2-way radio. You should be able to pick up all of the posting logging frequencies and often logging trucks announce them selves every couple km coming down. That said, it's no substitute for a 2-way radio to call for clearance. I have seen a number of signs posted that say to radio for clearance before entering. Just a thought though... the handheld scanners are usually around $30-50. I use mine to tune into logging, trucking, forestry and any emergency frequencies that haven't gone digital.

Chiron
12-14-2014, 11:50 AM
I bought a motorola set of 3 radios for the kids when we're skiing or hiking. And I bought a UV-5R for me :-). Now I'll have to spend xmas morning trying to figure the damn thing out...

I thought I saw there was a license for use on frequencies other than GMRS. For one reason or another I thought it was just a form and a 40 dollar payment. Or was that the old system for GMRS?

Anyone have a link?

Here is a wiki link for GMRS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Mobile_Radio_Service). The fee is for use in the US, in Canada no fee. I program my UV5R with programming cable and free software called Chirp (http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP.php). If you have questions on the UV5R feel free to PM me.

Bag1
12-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Baofeng UV82L are pretty decent radios, they come with everything you will need to get you on all the frequencies you will need.
keep in mind in Canada we are not allowed to have self programmable radios, all VHF radios are suppose to be programmed at a licensed
radio shop
not saying that it isn't very easy to do with all the included software, just saying it is illegal to own self programable and self program radios in Canada

jlirot
12-14-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks Chiron. I'm planning to CHIRP and then I'll see if I have any questions.

J

Here is a wiki link for GMRS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Mobile_Radio_Service). The fee is for use in the US, in Canada no fee. I program my UV5R with programming cable and free software called Chirp (http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP.php). If you have questions on the UV5R feel free to PM me.